WAG Front Handspring help

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mom2newgymnast

Proud Parent
My dd is a level 4 and her first meet of the season is 3 weeks away. She's having some trouble with the front handspring and I wanted to see if anyone here could offer some suggestions. She doesn't get any rebound and it just looks wrong when she lands it. Although her coaches are aware of her difficulties with it, helping her fix it doesn't seem to be a priority right now. For the past 6 months I've never seen her do a pretty front handspring at practice with a rebound. The coaches do offer her some verbal corrections, but she doesn't seem to get them. I'm not trying to coach her, but she is frustrated and I thought if I could have some people look at it and give ideas of where it is going wrong, maybe that would help her. I can send a link to a the video of her floor routine from her mock meet to anyone who wouldn't mind helping. Thanks!

If yiu posted a video we could see what the issue is and give some ideas towards solving it.

Reactions: sce
If yiu posted a video we could see what the issue is and give some ideas towards solving it.

Video will help. A big part is the shoulder angle. How is her shoulder flexibility? Also, is she a visual learner? If so finding videos about the from handspring, esp. ones that have a coach who breaks it into pieces might help her understand what the coaches have been telling her.

Video will help. A big part is the shoulder angle. How is her shoulder flexibility? Also, is she a visual learner? If so finding videos about the from handspring, esp. ones that have a coach who breaks it into pieces might help her understand what the coaches have been telling her.

Would you mind if I sent you the link to a video in a pm? It has her name and gym in the title of the video unfortunately. I think her shoulder flexibility is good, or at least no one has said otherwise. I do think a good video explaining what to do could be helpful to her. Do you have one to recommend? I did a search and saw lots of people showing how to do it, but most of them were young kids and didn't seem very official iykwim?

Shoulder flexibility helps with FHS? That may explain a lot about my dd who has a hard time with front tumbling.

Front tumbling is hard for my dd too. She struggled with front handspring when she was a lv4. Now, she struggles with front tuck :). What helped her is shoulder flexibility.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back