DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

coach1234

Coach
So some of my girls have really strong vaults going over the vault table confidently, but others are still on handspring flatbacks on mat stack as they cannot get their feet moving fast enough and they either stick their bottoms up and go up in a big pike shape or don't even get up

They need to be able to get over the vault table but the beginning of next year to compete, what drills or ideas have you got to get their feet moving faster have having a beautiful handspring vault?

All ideas and tips are welcome, willing to try anything

DD's class always does front handsprings up onto a big mat. Along with just putting a fluffy mat stacked higher than usual and vault like that.

My daughter has been working on fly springs which I have been informed is for vault, possibly the front handspring vault.

These are the drills she has been doing:

Arch rocks with arm motion

Reverse leg lifts on the pommels

Jump up and down on the spot with the coach holding the gymnast under the arms 3 times then on the fourth jump they do an arch shape in the air

Run the down the vault run towards a crash mat where a coach is standing each side of a springboard, the gymnast jumps off a spring board and the coach spots them through the fly Spring shape flipping over to land on the crash mat.

This drill is only done when the gymnast can jump high enough when starting the fly Spring shape, if they can't put enough power into it yet or if the shape is wrong they are caught mid jump and stopped. (If you get what I mean)

Is it possible that the girls who are struggling are not running fast enough? Now I am not a coach so please bare with me. I have observed that some of my teammates who run at a slower pace have a really hard time getting the power to make it over the table, so maybe that's what your girls are struggling with too? A drill that I've seen the optionals do at my gym is have one girl run down the vault runway with another girl chasing her and the goal being not to let the person chasing you catch up with you. Once they reach the end of the vault runway they just jump into the pit next to the vault table. My theory could definitely be wrong but I wanted to other it up as a suggestion to you anyway.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back