Parents Front Handspring

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Avasmom

Proud Parent
Is a back handspring easier than a front handspring? DD's coach introduced the fhs last week and my dd is unable to do it without landing on her butt. She is a quick learner and really strong so I was suprised that she told me she was struggling. She has her standing bhs and just recently got her robhs. I would think going forward would be easier than going backwards but I know very little about gymnastics. At what level are front handsprings competed?

They must be harder because the kids learn them after the back handspring? It might depend on the kid. My daughter still struggles with her robhs, but can do the front handspring. I believe they are competed at L4 for the JO girls and Xcel Silver for the Xcel girls (at least that what it seems because those are the girls who are working on getting their front handspring down for fall meet season).

front tumbling is harder in general for most kids - just body mechanics! Also the landing is "blind" in that they aren't looking at the floor and need to time things just right. It will come....

It seems to me it's just a different feeling going forward and not much forgiveness in this skill for not doing it just right. It seems from my untrained eye that the kids with good body tightness and form progress to the front handspring really easily. It's the lack of tightness, bent or loose arms not tight next to the ears, legs not together and stretched, etc. that seem to keep the front handspring from being nice and girls from getting that 'pop' off the floor from what I have observed. Some of that seems to be just confidence based. I'm just a parent but my daughter just finished level 4 and I saw the evolution of this skill over the last season.

Here in Finland the kids first learn front handsprings in level C and then back handsprings in level D (along with punch front). I think that these two skills are equally hard to master.

I think it depends on the kid. Some find front tumbling really difficult but can tumble backwards no problem, while others can front tumble great and struggle with the back tumbling. I think this also changes over time. DD learned the RO, RO BHS and various combinations pretty easily and struggle to get her front handspring with any pop. I think she started learning this in L5.

Now she can front tumble great, has nice rebounds, is starting to connect FHS to pikes and tuck and layouts but her back tumbling per her words- stinks. She's now 12 almost 13 training for L8.

DD had a weird learning curve because she spent so much time noncompetitive, but she could whip out 7 BHS in a row before she even trained FHS. Her FHS still isn't awesome, and she's having trouble making a FHSFT connection. She has gorgeous BHS, even on high beam.

This question would get a better answer in a forum where coaches can answer as coaches and not parents... Coach hat on - Front handsprings are best taught with lots of drills where kids can succeed with the correct action. Many gymnasts try to look forward and 'sit up' which causes them to sit down/land in a squat, their body is telling them this is how they will land it. Their body is telling them one thing and the coach is telling them another.

FHS is in the Level 4 floor routine. L 5 there is a FHS-step out FHS connected. L6 ideally a FHS-FT.
FHS is harder than a BHS generally....power comes from blocking on arms and shoulders.....both my kids learned it in squatty form first, then to an arched stand.....no rebound........around L5-6 they were both able to get rebound and power to connect it......I am a parent, not a coach.
Also it is a blind skill.....they don't see their landing as they should be looking up.

In my experience the front handspring is harder. Unless the gymmie is afraid of going backwards. :)

We are on vacation in Poland, and my dd is training a bit here. The coach was surprised that she knew her BHS, but not front. Apparently they teach front first here...

It was really bothering me watching my daughter attempt this skill and falling on her back. Eventually she will get hurt so I told her to only do it spotted. Apparently she isn't falling anymore so that is great. She told me she has it but I haven't seen it to verify it.

In the US...front handsprings are harder...this is because many coaches spend 90% of their time on back tumbling and 10% on front tumbling.

My dd doesn't have her front handspring yet either. She's training level 3 and they have recently progressed to unspotted ROBHS. She can do a standing BHS on a trampoline or wedge mat, but I haven't seem them do it on the floor. They haven't spent any time on front handsprings. I know many of her teammates have learned them on their own, but she tried to do it on the bouncy floor recently and also landed on her bottom. I feel like she could get it if they spent any time on it, but it's clearly not a priority right now which is fine.

Yes, in most cases a front handspring is harder than a back handspring, however most kids will find a back handspring scarier than a front handspring. Fearful kids may the the front version first.

The skills are learned in a different order in Australia. Our WAG girls are required to do a front handspring in their floor routine in level 4 and a back handspring (or flic as we call it) isn't required until level 5.

This is the same in our MAG program, the boys do front handspring at level 4 and then back handspring is a bonus at level 5.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back