WAG Front handspring

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

C

coco_acro_

I have my front aerial and it is secure, but I can never seem to land my front handspring with straight legs and without a deep squat. It also takes me quite a while to bring my legs together so my coach says I can't start working on my front handspring front tuck yet. I would really appreciate any tips.

think about doing a handstand in your front handspring. You snap your legs together to hit that handstand position, then block out of your shoulders, similar to how you would for vault. Push and flick hard off your wrists.

If you can't land with your legs straight and hips pushing forward, you are probably closing your hip angle (piking) in your front handspring. By the time you hit the ground, you want your hips to be pushing forward like they do when you do a bridge stand up. One major thing that can help this is to keep the eyes looking back at the hands - do not try to look up in front of you too soon. There are also a number of drills that can help with keeping the hips extended like doing a handspring down a wedge mat, or off of a small panel mat to give you a little extra height and time.

This is just a guess, but if you are used to doing a front aerial, you may be coming in too high for the handspring. Make sure you have a low entry angle so you get a better block off of your hands.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back