Parents Front hip circle help...again

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

kaloss

Proud Parent
My daughter is really struggling with her front hip circle. I know it's all about timing. She has done bar clinics, private lessons, and regular practice working on them. She seems so close, but ,keeps dropping her hips away from the bar. We tied her to the bar today (like a strap bar, right above her butt, and upper thighs) and she can do them. We thought letting her "feel" what I should feel like might help. Any suggestions or drills to help her? She is a new level 3 and has a meet on Sunday, she really wants to compete it and not take the fall on bars!
Thanks!

Sorry, I can't help you. The FHC is the bain of my DDs existence. She's gotten it lost it, gotten it, lost it. She got her kip before the FHC.
If she's anything like my DD, I think you're right about "feeling" correct positioning.
Good luck!

The most common problem with this skill is a timing issue. She needs to know when to stay strings and when to snap around the bar.

As she goes into the FHC she needs to make sure she reaches horizontal with a perfectly straight body and then snap to the pike position around the bars.

The most common problem is trying to pike and snap around the bar too early.

she should try to stay in a hollow position, make her look at a higher point in front of her…when she now moves forward and can't see this point anymore, she should try to kiss her knees :) and this as fast as possible :) ….

no advice but it took DD forever to get that one too...finally just started making them in meets - along with kips...(I am sure her coach knew she was almost there or she wouldn't have competed bars;) ). It's timing, that much I know - and I know one of our level 10s used to joke with DD at the time that she couldn't ever do them well and couldn't do them at all anymore...

It'll come with patience and practice....hopefully like my DDs giants now (or come back...)

Took my DD (young 7 year old, level 3) about 3 months to get hers. She picked up the dreaded mill/stride circle in no time so I really expected she would have no trouble with the FHC. Her coach said she was dropping her chest when she fell forward, so her cue was to really stick her chest out and keep it out as she fell forward. She finally got it back in August, about 3 weeks before her first meet (about 2 months before her 7th birthday). She's working on her Kip now and I question whether she'll ever get that one :)

Hang in there. She'll get it, and then it'll be on to the next skill in that endless list of "next skills" :)

My dd struggled learning this as well. One day I told he that at the very end do a "push up" with her arms like she would do on the floor. It worked, the next workout she had it.

My daughter is really struggling with her front hip circle. I know it's all about timing. She has done bar clinics, private lessons, and regular practice working on them. She seems so close, but ,keeps dropping her hips away from the bar. We tied her to the bar today (like a strap bar, right above her butt, and upper thighs) and she can do them. We thought letting her "feel" what I should feel like might help. Any suggestions or drills to help her? She is a new level 3 and has a meet on Sunday, she really wants to compete it and not take the fall on bars!
Thanks!

if she's under 8 years old let it go...:)

Fuhgeddaboudit.

When we were living in Mexico DD started working on them.Mexico pretty much follows the U.S J.O system.It looked as if it was going to be a bit of a struggle.

We moved to France,I haven't seen anyone ever do a FHC, ever.

After 18 months gym training here, DD has a free hip to hand stand,a release move,giants and other stuff that I don't know how to translate in english LOL.Bars are her strongest event

The other day,looking at youtube videos,she saw a girl do a FHC,she laughed and said :"I probably still can't do one of those"

Well, she had her meet. Still no front hip circle. Oh well. She just turned 6, she is just so frustrated that "everyone else" has it. She fell on bars, but still managed to place. She is really happy that she earned her first medals! Two weeks until her next meet!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back