front hip circle help

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My dd has been struggling with her front hip circle for a few months now. She is getting really close but still can't quite coplete it yet. Her coach says that all she needs is "a 2 finger spot" at the end of the skill and she makes it, but if she doesn't get that little bit of help (basically a liitle pressure on her back to keep her tight to the bar), her hips come off the bar and she doesn't make it. She seems to understand the basic idea (stays straight until past horizontal, then quickly pike), but has a hard time understanding how to keep her arms straight on the upswing if that makes sense. The coach uses many of the drills that I have seen recommended on this site from youtube and she has improved tremendously, but can't quite finish the skill yet. Any ideas?

Have her try to cast immediately after it. Sometimes that helps to remind them to get their shoulders over the bar and be tall to finish.

My daughter was doing the same exact thing. She had been struggling just getting the last part by herself. Her coach would say he was barely touching her and she would do it. She is now doing it by herself. Just had to keep being reminded to push up on her arms instead of bending them at the end.

I always struggled a lot with my front hip circle, and it still comes and goes. The key to it is as your coming up around the bar, imagine yourself hitting your head on your knees, but keeping your legs straight of course. Obviously you wont come close, but that force and aggressiveness will help you stay on the bar. Also, make sure she's leaning into it long enough at the beginning, if she bends her hips to early it makes the skill difficult.
Hope this helps :)

Front hip circles are tough. I don't know if I can do them any more, lol. Maybe try having her lean and get her shoulders over the bar, kind of like a cast, as CreateMagic said.

Thanks for all the advice. I think one of the problems that she is having is fear of hitting her face on the bar if she doesn't make it. This has happened a few times and now I think she is leary of leaning forward and getting her shoulders over the bar, and tends to pull away if she is not being spotted. Has this happened to any of your gymnasts? Any advice on how to fix it? I wonder if it would help if she practices on a lower bar that is about chest height so that her feet will catch her before her chin hits until she gains confidence?
(she also saw another girl get a bloody nose a few weeks ago doing the same thing which I think scared her also)

well, that's stupid. most of us place a pad on the bar when they first learn them. once they get the hang of it you remove the pad. no reason they should be eating the bar.

I wasn't very good at front hip circles when I did them, and I never hit my face on the bar. But, I can imagine how scary it was for her to see her teammate hurt herself on the same skill. While I personally think that the chances of you hitting your face on the bar if your already close to making the skill are pretty slim, I'd advise her to keep her arms straight. Or at least try (I know how hard it is). Even if your arms are only a bit straight, it makes it much harder to hurt your upper body. Also doesn't hurt the score :)

Tell her to keep her nose to her knees and also shift her wrists fast
What helped me get mine was seeing an older/higher level teammate show me then I got it fast

She finally did it! Last night in open gym something
finally clicked and she got 8 in a row and a bunch afterwards.
They may have not been the prettiest fhc - but she did
it! I think that I was smiling bigger than
she was! Thanks for all of your advice and suggestions.
Now on to the bhs........

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back