Front hip circle help!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

Gymnast9272

Ok...so I'm really close to my fhc but I'm not quite there yet.I push up, arch, lean forward, shift my hands, pike and push up on the bar, but I can't get all the way up. And I need this skill to move on to the next level. Any tips?:):confused:

Not answering your question, but just wanted to say that it's interesting how this is such a common skill in the USA, whereas here in the UK we don't learn it from a young age as far as I'm aware. After seeing it performed by a number of USA gymnasts, I decided to give it ago - I managed it, but it wasn't too pretty at first because it's just not something we work on! We also don't really do what you call mill circles here in the Uk.

Anyway, I hope someone can answer your question! Maybe if you had a video it might help us to understand what you're doing wrong a bit more.

A video would certainly help us evaluate your mistakes.

A few pointers:
  • Are you still arching when you pike or in a neutral to hollow body position? The latter should be achieved.
  • Are you making sure to bring your legs up as you're leaning forward?
  • Are you bringing your hips or the very upper part of your thighs back down to the bar before piking?
  • Are you piking at the last possible moment?

We also don't really do what you call mill circles here in the Uk.

Our compulsary programme FINALLY got rid of the mill circle this year. I did not like teaching or demonstrating it and it doesn't really lead to any higher level skills. So happy.

So I've been working on it and I found out that I wasn't shift my hand enough. So now I can get all the way around but then I just fall. I'm trying to push up on the bar, but it doesn't seem to work. Anything else I can do?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back