Parents Front Hip Circle

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My DD is struggling with her front hip circle. She was on bars last at her team practice on Thurs., and all the other girls came running out because they were done. She wasn't with them, so I looked over there, and she had gotten back up there to try it a few more times. Her bars coach asked if he could do a private with her today, so we did. As I was watching them, it looked like he really wasn't helping her at all when he would sort of spot her, but the minute he walked away, she couldn't make it back into her front support again. I asked him at the end if I was seeing it right, and he said I was exactly right. It's like she thinks him having his hand lightly on her back has some kind of magic powers! LOL She's really close, so hopefully she'll totally have it soon.

She's possibly trying harder when doing them with-out spot. In the process she ends up doing what she knows best, the past. which includes all of the mistakes she and her coach are trying to correct. No worries, it's just a part of learning, and the skill will come along when it's ready.

Sometimes those coaches can spot in ways that it looks like they are barely touching them or helping them at all, but in actuality they really are ;).

From my recollection when my DD learned hers, the FHC was all about timing...it just needs to click. Private lessons are good at helping with skills that involve timing :)...

Last edited:
My dd spent FOREVER being soooo close to her FHC. She finally got it a number of times one day, on and off the next... then lost it completely... then got it back hit or miss. Now, she says she finally has it every time. I think it's just a tricky skill, and seems to take a long time for the girls to get it. Ironically, her coaches didn't practice the mill circle that much, and now she's at a different gym, and needs to compete it soon, and doesn't have the mill circle yet! I always thought that was much easier. She says she super close, but not sure if it will come in time for her first meet :-(

My DD competed the mill/stride circle this past fall in Level 3. I think she got it in all but the very first meet. It's a hard skill. Now that she is Level 4, they are adding the shoot through to get into position, which she can sometimes do, sometimes not, but I'm not really worried that she'll have it by meet season, which doesn't start until the end of August for us. She has done the same with her front hip circle. She did it multiple times one day when I wasn't there, then the next day, she was really excited to show me, but didn't get it even once that day. She has kind of gone back and forth with it as well, but I have yet to see her do it even once! :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back