WAG Front tumbling for xcel platinum?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymnast9261

Gymnast
I am not a strong back tumbler, I have roundoff, but not a back handspring. I'm moving into my gym's xcel program this season (2015-2016), and I'm not sure what tumbling passes I can do and meet the requirements. I have a front handspring, front handspring step out, and close to a front tuck. I know I don't have alot of options, but if you had ideas as to skills I could uptrain, or connections to work on, that'd be great! :D

Raenndrops is a great source of info for Xcel, search some of her posts as I am sure she has posted lots of the requirements!!
It sounds very ambitious to try for Xcel Platinum based on your skill set but I am by no means an expert. I think Platinum in general requires L5-6-7 skills...
Best of luck!!

If you are moving into Xcel without a back handspring, are you sure you would be Platinum.
Unless you were a L5 or higher, you should probably start in Gold.
For tumbling passes in Gold, you could work FHS step out to roundoff and Front tuck.

You could also try training a RO-BT. We have a few girls that couldn't do a BHS, but were able to do the BT.
Platinum: FHS step out to roundoff and RO-BT or FHS-FT or a Front Pike.

For platinum the coaches are looking for fh punchfront or punchfront step out front handspring. You need a robhbt or rolayout bc they are basing it off of the working towards 7 sheet I think. And you'll need a kip!

For platinum the coaches are looking for fh punchfront or punchfront step out front handspring. You need a robhbt or rolayout bc they are basing it off of the working towards 7 sheet I think. And you'll need a kip!
Every gym is different.
Minimum Platinum Floor Requirements are:
1. Min. 2 directly connected Flight skills with 1 “A” or “B” Salto.
2. Either a 2nd acro connection with a min. of two directly connected Flight skills OR an isolated “B” Salto.
3. Dance Passage with a min. of 2 Different Group 1 VP (directly or indirectly connected) one of which is a LEAP with a 150° cross or side split.
4. Min. 1/1 Turn on one foot.
Our Platinum competed a ROBHSBT and FHS-stepout-RO. We had another that would have competed a Front Pike as her 2nd pass.

Every gym is different.
2. Either a 2nd acro connection with a min. of two directly connected Flight skills OR an isolated “B” Salto.
3. Dance Passage with a min. of 2 Different Group 1 VP (directly or indirectly connected) one of which is a LEAP with a 150° cross or side split.
Our Platinum competed a ROBHSBT and FHS-stepout-RO. We had another that would have competed a Front Pike as her 2nd pass.

Every gym is different.
I go to the same gym as the poster sorry that seemed confusing

Oh. Ok. So if their Platinums are working off the gym's preparing for L7 plan, she should definitely only compete Gold. :)
This is our first year of doing xcel, but from what I've heard yes. Our platinum is supposedly going to be very similar to our l6 and l7 skill requirements :) And our golds are going to work l5 skills for the most part. And silver l3 and l4. :)

If you are moving into Xcel without a back handspring, are you sure you would be Platinum.
Unless you were a L5 or higher, you should probably start in Gold.
She was in level 3 and was really good!
So gold is typically like a l4/l5?

She was in level 3 and was really good!
So gold is typically like a l4/l5?
She had said that she didn't have a BHS... so I wasn't sure what level she was.
Gold is typically for L3 almost L4 and up to training L5 skills. Platinum requirements are similar to L5/L6 to ALMOST L7 ... but with lower split angles and cast angles. A high end Gold routine works as a low end Platinum routine.
Silver would be for L2 almost L3 up to training L4 (but for training L4, if they can do the FHS vault they should compete Gold... if the kip is what holds them back.) Silver is also good if they are behind on floor (think L2-L3 floor skills... RO-rebound-Backward roll counts as an acro pass in Silver and 2nd acro is either another series OR isolated flight acro... another RO or a FHS would work ... or HS-FR stepout into immediate Cartwheel).

She had said that she didn't have a BHS... so I wasn't sure what level she was.
Gold is typically for L3 almost L4 and up to training L5 skills. Platinum requirements are similar to L5/L6 to ALMOST L7 ... but with lower split angles and cast angles. A high end Gold routine works as a low end Platinum routine.
Silver would be for L2 almost L3 up to training L4 (but for training L4, if they can do the FHS vault they should compete Gold... if the kip is what holds them back.) Silver is also good if they are behind on floor (think L2-L3 floor skills... RO-rebound-Backward roll counts as an acro pass in Silver and 2nd acro is either another series OR isolated flight acro... another RO or a FHS would work ... or HS-FR stepout into immediate Cartwheel).
We are at a YMCA gym, so, because she was only missing her bh, she competed l3. We are a bit more lenient. However this season e will not be, we need all our skills and one level above the needed skills. (level 4 trying to go for l5 will need l5 skills+l6 skills). Which is why a lot of girls are thinking about switching to xcel.

We are at a YMCA gym, so, because she was only missing her bh, she competed l3. We are a bit more lenient. However this season e will not be, we need all our skills and one level above the needed skills. (level 4 trying to go for l5 will need l5 skills+l6 skills). Which is why a lot of girls are thinking about switching to xcel.
I knew YOU were at a YMCA gym, lol. I have concussion brain right now though... didn't put 2 & 2 together (meaning that SHE is at a YMCA gym) until a few minutes ago. My YG competed old L4 and New L3 without her middle circle on bars (for 3 years!).
Level 5 and Level 6 skills are the same... except bigger casts for L6. :)
I like the Xcel program and think you and your friend would do well!

I knew YOU were at a YMCA gym, lol. I have concussion brain right now though... didn't put 2 & 2 together (meaning that SHE is at a YMCA gym) until a few minutes ago. My YG competed old L4 and New L3 without her middle circle on bars (for 3 years!).
Level 5 and Level 6 skills are the same... except bigger casts for L6. :)
I like the Xcel program and think you and your friend would do well!
Haha it's ok

I'm not sure what your gym requirements are, but it sounds like you'd be doing more Xcel Gold then Platinum. But I will just made my gym's platinum team and here's the tumbling I had to have to make it.

1. Round off back handspring back tuck (on floor)
2. Front handspring front tuck (on tumbl trak)

Also, front tucks, standing back tucks, and ariels is probably something you should have solid.

Hopefully this helps!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back