WAG front tumbling passes help!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am a pretty powerful tumbler. I have a very high and nice RO BH BL and I also do double backs into the pit with my coach.
I want to have Front Handspring - Front Layout in a year.
The problem is, at my old gym (I switched 2 months ago) we hardly ever worked front tumbling combinations, only FH step out FH.

So far, I have a really nice Front Handspring. I rebound very high and I could easily flip a Layout I just don't know how because I have never worked on that and it all seems to go so fast and I don't know were I am in the air.

However, I have a good punch front tuck as well as a punch front pike on floor. I also have a Front Layout on Tumbl Trak and Air Mat.

What would you recommend doing to learn a good Front Handspring - Front Layout?

Is it necessary to learn a Front Handspring - Front Tuck first or can I immediately start working the Layout?
Should I work Front Handspring - Bounder first and then start doing the Layout or learn the tuck first?
Also, are punch front layouts necessary or helpful?

I hope you can help me!

I learned mine fairly easily by doing FHS-FT, FHS-FP, FHS-bounder and then FHS-FLO. I would also work running layouts, and maybe punch front punch front.

To know where I am, I always kinda looked upwards in the set and then looked for the floor to know when to land.

Ask your coach?

She says I should not learn Front Handspring Front Tuck first, but do Front Handspring - Bounder instead and do the Bounder over a block, like in a vault Front Handspring. Then slowly progress to layout, without training the tuck.

I just thought this was kind of unusual progression so I am asking....
I can't imagine someone doing a FH FL but not a FH FT

I would do what your coach is suggesting. The drill with the FHS + Bounder over block is probably the best drill for front layouts you can do without super extensive block set ups.

While I haven't heard of someone skipping a FHS + Front Tuck, I have heard a lot of people do back layouts before back tucks, then working back down when they compete level 5 compulsory.

She says I should not learn Front Handspring Front Tuck first, but do Front Handspring - Bounder instead and do the Bounder over a block, like in a vault Front Handspring. Then slowly progress to layout, without training the tuck.

I just thought this was kind of unusual progression so I am asking....
I can't imagine someone doing a FH FL but not a FH FT

Bounders are the progression.... Get off the Internet and listen to your coach.

Mine did learn FHS-FT first, but did FHS-bounder-FT in level 7, then FHS-FLO-FT in level 8.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back