Parents Front Tumbling Question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Daffodil

Proud Parent
My daughter has difficulty with front tumbling skills. I have heard that front, front combinations are either extremely easy or extremely difficult for a gymnast, depending on the gymnast. Can anyone explain why that is the case? Can it change for the gymnast or will this always be an issue?

I have no answers, but my DD is the same. She says she has way more momentum with back skills. I would assume those who prefer front skills don't like not seeing where they're going? Totally guessing!

Yeah. My daughter has quite a lot of power with backward tumbling. But, her front tumbling looks so labored. I am just hoping that it improves over time.

both ways must be trained. it helps to do handsprings both directions. they are exact mirror images of one another. you can't develop the strength and power required for front tumbling unless you train equally as much as back tumbling. most don't and this is why they are weak in front tumbling. :)

Thank you Dunno! My daughter tends to twist slightly on her front handspring, which does not help the situation. She is a hard worker, so hopefully more training will help.

I have no answers, but my DD is the same. She says she has way more momentum with back skills. I would assume those who prefer front skills don't like not seeing where they're going? Totally guessing!

Mrs. Puma- you can actually "see" more on back tumbling. Front landings are blind- your head is behind your feet so you can't see your feet land on the floor. Back tumbling you are looking at your feet, and the floor when you land.

Otherwise, what Dunno said (obviously ;) ). It's like anything, if you practice your violin more than your piano, you'll be better at violin. Personally I also think technique has a lot to do with it- people focus a lot on BHS and getting it perfect, where for some reason FHS doesn't seem to be subjected to the same level of scrutiny- probably because of the perceived danger of going backwards vs. forwards.

Faith-With the blind landing, my daughter says that she does not know when to flex her feet for the landing. As a result, she lands on her toes, at times. Does that body awareness just come with time and practice?

Mrs. Puma- you can actually "see" more on back tumbling. Front landings are blind- your head is behind your feet so you can't see your feet land on the floor. Back tumbling you are looking at your feet, and the floor when you land.

Otherwise, what Dunno said (obviously ;) ). It's like anything, if you practice your violin more than your piano, you'll be better at violin. Personally I also think technique has a lot to do with it- people focus a lot on BHS and getting it perfect, where for some reason FHS doesn't seem to be subjected to the same level of scrutiny- probably because of the perceived danger of going backwards vs. forwards.
Thank you! Pretty obvious I've never done a handspring either way in my life, huh?! Lol! DD (like most people I'm sure) likes to do what she's good at, so she'll just need more practice on the front skills. Even that forward pass in the level 5 routine is tough for her, but ROBHSBT is pretty good! Thanks again :)

Faith-With the blind landing, my daughter says that she does not know when to flex her feet for the landing. As a result, she lands on her toes, at times. Does that body awareness just come with time and practice?

yes, it will come with repetitive practice.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back