WAG Front walkover question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Committed

Proud Parent
DD has been trying to get her front walkover for awhile now and is having a problem with the landing. 99.9% of the time, she lands on her toes and her leg gives beneath her, and she ends up on her back.
What's the issue?
Thanks!

It sounds like she's not pulling her shoulders up fast enough but I'm not a coach I'm a gymnast but that's what my coach normally says if someone is struggling with forward or backward walkovers

Imagine the shape she resembles at the moment her foot first touches the floor as the curved rail of a rocking chair and the wall she's facing represents the plane of the floor. In an approximate manner of speaking, she needs to rock from the end of the rail to nearly the middle of the rail before straightening her ankle, then her knee, all while continuing to rock to and slightly beyond the middle of the rail as she straighten hip hip and continues the sequence of the torso until she's standing.

So that's kinda what she should do, but she's doing things differently. Probably she tries to bring one of her body segments up out of the sequence's order, and that causes one of the segments below to cease the rocking motion and collapsing the rail's shape. That's going to be a carpet collecting experience 'most every time.

I'm not sure what you mean by lands on her toes. It sounds like she might not be getting the foot down properly and getting enough weight over it. She needs to push her weight over the landing foot. Also look at her head - a lot of people have trouble with FWO because they lift their head up (forward) in the middle, I guess to try to look where they are going.

I don't know how to explain it, really. On the leg that lands, instead of landing flat-footed, she lands on the ball of her foot... with a really bent knee. When she tries to stand up, that bottom knee buckles and she falls ... immediately. Is she supposed to be landing flat-footed? I feel like she is, but she's stuck in this routine of doing the SAME thing over and over again....and expecting different results.

See if she can go on her knees and do a back bend on a mattress or couch cushion, and come up from the back bend on her knees. If she can't do that then mastering that first might help. She needs to try to fall forward on her belly.

So it sounds like she's trying to come up too early?

That's what I'm thinking. I maybe should have just said it that way, but that would have been too easy and left too much room for heer to simply wait a little longer and then make the same mistake with the next body segment in the sequence.

The drill that gymdog suggested is a good idea, but don't let her do more at home than her coach knows about. Tell the coach your dd is working "them" at home and wants to keep doing that. Is it ok to do "?" number each day?. It's always nice, as a coach, that the child your working with may have a reason for a slightly sore muscle set for a particular skill, and then be able to suggest fewer at home, or none at all.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back