Front walkover

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

All Chalked Up

Coach
Gymnast
I have had my front walkover for a really long time but I would always land in a squat. I was always using my left foot to start, so I tried using my right. I got it perfectly :), but I'm wondering if it will mess other skills up for me in the long run. Does anyone have advice? Thanks!

well i don't know i do everything with one foot so i have never hand the issue but is this the same for front handsprings?? do u use your left foot then?? coz that could lead to problems if you were doing front handspring step out - round off - back handspring so i would keep trying with your dominant foot, but if it is just forward walkover i don't see the problem really

Congrats on getting it perfect with your right leg. I would keep doing it with your right but I would also work on doing it with your left too. Try working on them both.

At my gym we do walkovers for our floor drills on both legs. A front handspring isn't really the same thing as a front walkover, and if there is no block then there's a problem, so if you hurdle with your dominant foot in front you should be fine. I find that bad-leg front walkovers really hurt my back, as do switching-leg front walkovers, but I can do both and most people at my gym around level 5 can do both, so it shouldn't be hard for you to learn your dominant leg if you think it's really going to be a problem. I guess you can't connect to a cartwheel or round-off, which could be a problem if you wanted front acro on beam.

Hi,
No, I don't think it'll mess you up for other schools. I think that you should still practice your front walkovers with your left leg until you get it, because it's good to be able to do it with both legs, but it shouldn't affect any of your other skills. I like doing some skills with some legs and other skills with other legs. =)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back