frustrated mom

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

hi my name is bj and im a kinda new gym mom - my daughter just turned 7 and has been in level 3 for a year - im not sure how things are done at other gyms but at our gym madison is there 3 days a week at 2.5hrs each time and she does a 1hr private lesson on sundays - private lessons were suggested by some of the moms with kids at higher levels - my question is what skills are needed for a level 3 gymnast to move up to level 4? they don't tell us much at the gym and depending on who you ask you get different answers - at one point they said that all of the level 3 girls were going to level 4 and now they are saying that no decisions have been made - the lack of communication is such an issue with our gym - anyway if anyone out there can tell us in general what we should have her working on to be prepared for level 4 that would be great - currently she has a roundoff backhandspring w/ a spot - a back hip circle - a 5 sec handstand and her backwalkover is strong - i think that does it - thanks so much

I'm sorry that your gym is that way but for level 4 the basic skills they do are:
round off bhs, tick tock, backwards push up roll, handstand forward roll, handstand on beam, side handstand dismount, back hip pullover, back hip circle, front hip circle, cast shoot through, mill circle, under swing, and then the heel drive to your back vault. Hope this helps!

BJ, if you are really interested in knowing the skills you can buy the DVD on the USAG website that will show you all of the skills and routines for Levels 1 through 6. I think it is about $30 for a 2 DVD set. I found it worthwhile to purchase. As for skills to work on, the front hip circle and mill circle on bars take awhile to get so those are probably most important to work on for moving to Level 4. Hopefully, they are working on those at her gym.

Meg

I saw that you just bought the DVD set, but be cautious that new routines are coming out if not htis year next year I believe, although the skills will not change.

I saw on the USAG.org site that the skills will be from 2005-2013. I would think that the routines would stay the same. And yes, we have talked about the level 5 music sounding very stripper-like and the bad thing is, when the music sounds really bad is when the girls are rolling around on the floor.

That's the main (though not only) reason I want the music changed. The level 5 music/routine has a striptease halfway through the routine, and the level 4 and 3 music is just plain annoying (though I confess I actually like the Level 6 music).

Last edited:
You aren't the only one who thinks that music is strip tease music. Several of the mothers at our gym have threatened to bring feather boas for the girls.

I also have heard that the routines run through 2013 UNLESS USAG sees something that they need to fix. I was told that they changed something in the level 3 floor routine this year but not the music.

I have also ordered the DVD set off of Ebay along with the music cd and the routine sheets for level 5. I am a little cautious with this though because I don't want to get her coaches mad at me. :D

You aren't the only one who thinks that music is strip tease music. Several of the mothers at our gym have threatened to bring feather boas for the girls.

I also have heard that the routines run through 2013 UNLESS USAG sees something that they need to fix. I was told that they changed something in the level 3 floor routine this year but not the music.

I have also ordered the DVD set off of Ebay along with the music cd and the routine sheets for level 5. I am a little cautious with this though because I don't want to get her coaches mad at me. :D

They took the BWO out of the L3 floor routine and put in a bridge kick-over instead. Whoever thought to take the BWO out of the L3 floor routine but leave the front mill cirlce in the L3 bars routine, well..........................

I wish they would do away with the mill circle all together. I think it's in there just cause grief to Level 4 girls and parents. :D Has anyone seen the AAU Level 4 bar routine? I wish USAG would go with that - it's the same routine as the Level 5 routine, but with pullovers instead of kips. They could even add back the optional kip that used to exist at L4.

Meg

I really dislike the way the level 4 music fades in and out with awkward pauses. Level 3, level 3...no comment. Level 5 is wayyyy over the top in the middle and I have no idea how that got past presumably a fair amount of reasonable people, except that anything heard 8 million times starts to sound normal. Level 6 was a passable effort this time around.

But really, why do they ALL have an oddly synthesized sound? Can't we just get a piece of normal, nice music that doesn't sound like it was squeezed through a vacuum somehow? I understand the routine and music has to fit everyone, and I think the routines are sooooo well done this time around considering, but the music! It burns.

Step kick handstand...forward roll. Story of my life.

I thought this cycle went to 2010-2011 for some reason but probably I made that up in my head because 2013 or 14 would probably make more sense based on how long the last routines were used. However, they changed the music, but not the routines, starting with the 2001-2002 season if I'm dating it correctly. That year it was optional to use the new music, and then it was fully used starting the next year. That was the advent of the level 5 crazy circus music, and the end of the scary dark operatic level 6 music. So they did change the music last time, maybe they plan to update it. I think it would be a good 3 years though if this cycle goes to 2013.

I believe the music will change somewhere around next year. I want to say the routines and music kinda follow the olympic year. 2004 was the first year for these routines, so the music should change soon. The new routines then would come out around 2012. Minor changes are made the routines each summer; IE the level 3 thing. But as a coach of levels 4-7 let me say this. The first time I heard the level 5 music I thought the samething. Now almost 4 years later, I hardly notice the strip tease part. Also you are all right on the mill circle. I am pulling out my hair each summer trying to get these girls to learn it. Why was it so easy for me to learn it back in the 80's when it was in the routine as well.

Frankly I am surprised that you all haven't gone completely nuts listening to the same music over and over, even watching the same beam routine over and over would drive me insane.:covereyes:

Considering that 90% of level 4's don't seem to get to level 7, a better system could be devised to keep motivation going in the lower levels. IMHO that is. We are spoiled up here with our individual routines and music.

Frankly I am surprised that you all haven't gone completely nuts listening to the same music over and over, even watching the same beam routine over and over would drive me insane.:covereyes:

Considering that 90% of level 4's don't seem to get to level 7, a better system could be devised to keep motivation going in the lower levels. IMHO that is. We are spoiled up here with our individual routines and music.

You have no idea !!! When my dd did level 4 I used to have nightmares about that stupid music - then level 5 - then 6. Now she is finally doing level 7 and so excited to have her own music and routines. Going to watch meets for me will definitely be a lot more fun now too :)

What is your source for 90% of level 4's not making it to level 7??? I am intregued by this statement!!

Do many girls repeat levels?? Mine competed level 4 this year and there is a possibility that she will repeat. The beam is killing her. No problems with the mill circle though.

the Level 4 music sounds like George of the jungle music "watch out for the trees"

http://www.usa-gymnastics.org/statistics/membershipstats04.pdf

90% was a bit of an over estimation on my part, but you will see in this USAG document that for the 17,460 who competed level 4 only 6,725 competed level 7 in 2004. When you look at those numbers you will see that a very high percentage of level fours will not make it to optionals, which would support the argument for more choices at the lower levels.

Many girls will never be able to master the skills at level 6/7/8 and quit due to age and plateauing.

Ask any parent of an optional gymnast or any coach and they will tell you that out of any group of 10 level 4's there are very few left by level 7, natural attrition.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back