Parents Frustrated with DD's rec class

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I understand completely. We went through similar with my DS. Sometimes even though you like the owner and the staff, it just may not be the right "fit" for competition. We went through several gyms finding the right one for our son- we had narrowed it down to two, then the HC of one went an started a new gym that opened last week. The new gym is actually the best fit for DS (he is on preteam, turns six in Dec and will compete next season). Ironically, in the past week he has been asked to be on one of the other preteams and to be evaluated at the other for their preteam for this summer. The first one we started at though, had we stayed there he would still be rec and not considered for team. We utilize their open gyms and parents night outs, but are confident we made the right decision with the new gym. We love the staff of the gym he started at two years ago, but they just saw him as a rec kid (though the owner and one of the boys coaches saw potential in him, they never did anything about it). Also, we have found with some gyms that the rec and team programs rarely communicate with each other or don't very well. Some however are excellent in communicating and watching rec for team potential. As was said to us by some other gym parents, you are your child's best advocate- and sometimes you need to get in there and ask. Not be pushy, but make sure the coaches are aware of your child's intentions, wants and desires. Good luck!

I just want to add to the "right gym/not right gym" discussion that the right gym for a child at age 6 may not be the right gym at age 10. You never know what kind of team gymnast your kid will develop into (some thrive in a highly competitive intense situation, other need a more friendly/patient/fun environment). Also, you as a parent may not like the way certain gyms do their booster/parent organization and administrative things may be an issue. I say try and make it work at the close place provided the training is good, and then down the line move if necessary to somewhere else that's better suited to the type of team program that works best for your child. It would be a little premature to start gym shopping/hopping before she is even on preteam IMO - only do that if it becomes blatantly obvious they are *never* going to invite her onto the team there.

I would like to make it work at this gym if at all possible. She LOVES the recreational director and most of the coaches she's encountered. When I asked her if she would like to try any other gyms a while back, she was really hesitant about it. She trusts these coaches. Which is in part why she learns so much at the clinics, she trusts the coaches that are doing those, for some reason those two (the rec director and another coach) are her favorites and she will attempt anything they tell her she can do with no fear. If there is no chance of team here, I would definately be open to finding her another gym though. It's just the mystery that I hate, I would like to just ask them that directly, but I'm afraid it will come out wrong.

They are actually not in our neighborhood right now, but they will be moving there in June. They also do a recreational showcase the first weekend of June, it will be in the new location. Part of me thinks they will likely not be doing any move ups or invites until that happens, so I wonder if we should hold off on saying anything until after that, or if I should approach them now.

The email I recieved from the Rec Director the end of January said that she thought her flexibility had come a long way and that she really felt she would benefit from the strength that will come from twice a week training... she's a great kid, good listener, etc. I am not sure how to bring it back up with her, if I should just reply to that email or what.

At the last clinic she coached I asked her if she saw improvement and she said she could see tons. But it was busy that day, and another mom was waiting to talk to her, so I didn't have time to take it much further.

Thanks for all the advice and support, you guys are wonderful!!

If it's usually busy at the gym to talk to them, as I know it can be, then I would definitely send an email. Especially, since you've been communicating with them this way before. Reply to that last email and say that she's been doing twice a week training for a few months now, and you see a lot of improvement, and ask her if she thinks your DD is ready for a preteam now. Again, now is the perfect time. I wouldn't wait until June, it might be too late by then.

Fingers crossed- I sent the email. :) I hope my intentions are understood and I'm not being annoying. I just asked if she thought she was benefitting from the extra class + Saturday activities and what was needed to continue her progression, and thanked her for all of the extra help she gives DD.

We shall see... :)

Sounds like you are doing everything right. I think it's a good idea to lay your cards out that she is interested in preteam and that you as the parent are willing to make the commitment. You've proven commitment with doing the extra class and clinics. It says alot of positive things about the gym that you are getting as much feedback as you are . It doesn't sound like a factory like where my DD was at at first. I hope it works out. It's time you had answers though on whether they see her as a potential team gymnast or not.

She replied back that she has seen a big improvement with the class and clinics and she's chatted with the other coaches and they feel like she will be ready to move to the intermediate class in June.

I replied back and just directly asked what her shot at ever moving to the competitive side might be. Waiting to hear back on that. I am fine if it is a not yet but if it's a never then I want to let dd know that her options are rec only or to try out at other gyms.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using ChalkBucket mobile app

It sounds like you have done all you can. Hopefully if they know she really wants to compete they will start viewing her through that lense so to speak. Good luck!

Sorry, another update- she wrote back that they don't know when they will be adding to the preteam group yet, and that they tend to look at kids ages 4-7 but that they absolutely accept older kids, some reach thier potential before others, etc. and she said that if my DD loves the sport, to definately keep encouraging her and that she and a few other coaches are the ones that make preteam selections and that they have their eye on her :)

Sounds positive and what I was looking for, that they see potential and that it's a realistic goal for her to work for. Thanks for all of the advice and support!

Wow I feel ya! We just went through the same issues! My advice is to check out other gyms in your area. My story is quite similar... A little bit of a long story. DD just recently turned 6 and we were in the same boat for 6 months. I had the same concerns with the rec classes she was taking with a few different coaches.
She started rec classes in September of last year, at the age of 5 1/2, brand new to the sport. Her first week, she struggled to even do a somersault. However, she loved it practiced a lot. She really did take off.

Within 6 weeks of her first class, she had her handstand forward roll, backbend, kickover, handstand to front limber, pullover (bar about a foot over her head). After 3 months, she was doing proper back walkovers, back hip circles, and cartwheel to handstand dismounts all on her own. She took her time to practice good form and she was so proud of each new skill she learned.

At this point, I asked a couple of her coaches if she was almost ready for the level 1/2 class. They all said "Not yet" ... Meanwhile she started to act up in class a lot because she was bored to tears going over the most basic things. The coaches spent a lot of time helping the other kids with very basic skills. My daughter would goof around (like a normal 5 year old) and practice harder skills while waiting her turn. None of her coaches noticed.
In February, finally a new coach said she needed a harder class... not just level 1/2, but Level 3, since she was ready to start doing BHS on her own.
In her new Level 3 class her behavior totally improved! She loved being challenged, and her skills really sharpened up. Before I knew it, she was running to a hurdle and connecting her ROBHS on the spring floor by herself.

I'm going into detail like this to really emphasize to you our frustration with the rec program. Seven months after starting gymnastics, she had a consistent, solid, tight handstand for about 2-3 seconds. She is very strong and did pull ups from a dead hang, and held a straddle for about 8 seconds. It was clear to me that the competitive track was a realistic goal for DD. However, there was no mention of moving her up to pre-team, even though she expressed a desire to her coaches, and she was right at the level of the current pre-team girls, she was just much younger.

Just for fun, last month, I enrolled her in a weekly rec class at another local gym, known for training gymnasts into optionals and beyond. They quickly requested she join their pre-team, and I hesitantly took a leap of faith and switched gyms.

At first, I felt bad dropping the rec classes at the gym in which she started out... I was hoping they would ask her to join pre-team eventually. I thought DD had a shot at making the real team in a year or two. I knew pre-team would be a good place to start. I made sure to not bother the coaches about it and I trusted they would ask her when ready. Come to find out, DD's old gym chose a new pre-team last month. Her tumbling coach said she wanted to suggest her for pre-team, but she'd never seen her on any events besides floor, so she didn't bring her name up. No other coaches mentioned DD.

Your gym sounds ALOT like DD's old gym... Very mysterious selection process for pre-team! I noticed it with a couple other little girls around the same age. They had the drive and the talent as well, but still haven't been allowed past Level 1 rec classes.
DD is very happy at her new gym on pre-team, and I no longer feel guilty for making the switch! There could be some politics at the gym that you aren't aware of. Best to check around at how other gyms are running their programs.

Okay. I kind of agree they are stalling too. Here's some more questions - have you physically *seen* the preteam group? How old do most of them look? What is their body type? Are they all very thin, very muscular, long legs vs. short legs? How do they all look compared to your DD? What is their skill level compared to your DD? Can they do more or less than she can?

You also have to keep your eye out for a situation where they are choosing girls based on "potential" than actual skills/results. Some gyms do that, and if your DD doesn't fit their mold, it's an issue...

How old is your DD? I'm only asking because you said they mostly take 7 and under onto preteam. Age is definitely an issue at our gym (rightly or wrongly). Unless you are truly outstanding and show alot of potential, there isn't much placing a child on preteam any older than 8. And they really prefer to catch kids by age 6. Their plan is to have kids read for Level5 (new 4) in three years. Some take less, some of the younger ones take a little more. So if you are 8 when you start preteam, theoretically you are 11 at the time you start competing. (Thought the outstanding older ones usually progress faster). Our gym isn't interested in having 12 year old level 5s, so most kids that come in older join the XCEL team and love competing there. If she's older that 7 or 8, you need to find a gym that will give her a chance at preteam now. Every month that goes by is her missing the form, strength and just pure training hours that preteam gives you over rec.

I'd at least explore other gyms to see if their programs work differently or if you can get her into XCEL where she can get more practice hours.

Hope that helps. I hate to say it, but the clock is ticking for her depending on her age.

She's six will be seven in a few months. She's built like all the pre team and team girls. Maybe a bit thinner. She's smaller than almost every kid her age in height and stature. She's just very petite.
I do believe that they have their eye on her. The coaches do seem to take interest in her and they all are very friendly with her. But she's a likeable kid so I can't tell if it's just interest in her because she's a sweet kid.

She will go to the summer camp all summer and I expect her to get stronger from that and then we will see.

How do you find gyms with excel? Her gym does not have it. We are in Texas. DFW area.

The preteam kids can do more than her. But I feel like it's due to what they are taught. I'm curious to see how fast she improves with the next class. They train level 3/4 skills. Her current class is 1/2.

It could be the wrong coaches are watching your DD too. My DD (5 at the time) last year was a level 2.5 (they do levels broken out into 3's for rec at her gym) She had (from what I could tell) all the skills to move to level 3. Her coach kept telling me no. Then I get approached by the developmental coach like a week later because she had watched my DD during practice and DD was invited to developmental pre-team. My 3 year old also had been invited to a developmental pre-team. Which I honestly didn't even know they had that at the gym. I think just be patient and if it's going to happen it will. if they are watching her, it will likely happen. :)

Look around. Stop feeling like you owe the current gym something b/c she started there and you feel some sort of loyalty. My DD got the run around at her first gym- similar to what you describe was being told to me as was being told to you. Anyhow, we shopped around and found a good gym, with a better track record for Optionals that took her on their pre-team. This was years ago, now years later DD is still competing and most of her original pre-team from the old gym is not there anymore (3 girls out of a group of 12 training now compete for the gym). Most of DD's pre-team at her current gym is still competing years later and are happy and successful.

I think they're stringing you and dd along. Rec classes, clinics, camps etc are where gyms make their money. You've had your dd in rec classes 2x/week, frequent clinics and doing the summer camp and she's not ready for their team program? Coaches do not find the "perfect" team kid---they are all lacking in some or more areas. Mine was strong, but lacked flexibility---she was put in the pre-team program anyway. The way I read all of this is they probably feel like they've made you happy for another year or so by moving dd to the intermediate class. Texas is an insanely competitive state for gymnastics and this gym could be pickier about team girls than they let on. I would take her to a few other gyms for an evaluation for a pre-team program and see what they say.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back