Full spin on beam deductions and all about GB WAG programmes

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Faith

Coach
Proud Parent
Gymnast
What is the deduction for putting the free leg behind (rather than in front) on beam?I've searched, but can't find anything..Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this would depend on what program you are in. You proberally don't live where I do, but here it would be valued as a half turn with deductions for rotating to much

In our competitions it used to be that if you stepped back then credit was not given for the spin.

That's changed recently, full credit is still given as long as the spin is finished up on the ball of the spinning foot, once the heel goes down spin is considered finished and that will decide whether credit is given. Putting free leg behind would be considered a step and would get 0.1 or 0.3 deduction.

It might be different where you are, I'm not a judge. Is there someone you can ask?

Im not sure but does anyone know if this is considered an "A" or "B" skill?

In USAG JO levels the skills are rated differently (Some skills are rated higher in USAG eg an A rated skill in FIG might be a B in USAG) . The UK and most other places use FIG. The spin is an A in FIG.

Not sure if credit is given on beam at all if foot is behind. It is certainly a big deduction either way. Better than a fall but one to be avoided if possible.

On floor they definitely look for where the foot goes down to end the spin.

As far as I'm aware its a big no-no, possibly no credit for the move, but it does depend What level you are competing. Novice judging is a bit more leient. I know our girls are basically told thou shalt not step behind.

Sent from my CnM Touchpad 9.7 using ChalkBucket mobile app

Thanks.

I think rd7 is correct- it was at a novice comp a few weeks ago as a friends child was competing.

Because it wasn't my child, coaches have a policy of not discussing other kids performances, understandably. I should maybe have taken the personal point out when I asked and just made it hypothetical. It seemed a fairly major mistake, for a small deduction..

I think they would be much more lenient with a novice level which is fair enough.

I don't think they were being at all lenient. I couldn't see an element deduction on one kid, but her mum said the coach thinks it was because her leg was just below horizontal on her wolf jump. So she lost 4 points for the element, plus the connection bonus. So the smaller deduction for the foot behind seemed odd to me.

they are particularly mainc about beam leaps atm, I know Pink and Fluffy has lost her credit and connection bonus for her sissone last two competitions as he split was not wide enough

they are particularly mainc about beam leaps atm, I know Pink and Fluffy has lost her credit and connection bonus for her sissone last two competitions as he split was not wide enough

It seems a little extreme to me :confused:. These are novice comps- kids who are just starting out, who aren't particularly brilliant or talented (or they would be elite track, or at least intermediate/advanced). They make the split leap/jump a compulsory element, then insist it's 180 deg. Most of these kids are only training a few hours a week, so unless they're naturally very flexible they're always going to get that deduction and come last. It's certainly not going to encourage them, or the parents! Especially when they've done a lovely routine, and kids falling off three times because they don't have the tumbling skills are scoring way higher!

It just sems the way BG is going atm. I know that they are also manic about split leaps on floor too. Its a pain to see her get 11's on all the other pieces and 9's on beam :(

9's!! Those were the top scorers! The poor kids with element deductions were coming away with 5 or less...

Was a bit of an eye opener for me and has made me question this sport a bit. Especially for dd who is most definately a power gymnast. She's working like mad on her flexibility but she's so strong we need to find a technique so she can't fight the stretch.

I always thought gymnastics at the lower levels was fairly inclusive, but it seems bg only want flexible kids competing ...

5's - that's heartless !

Have you tried yoga ? Hubbie is as flexible as a board ( 20 years of rugby) any yoga really helped him work in the stretch.

9's!! Those were the top scorers! The poor kids with element deductions were coming away with 5 or less...

Was a bit of an eye opener for me and has made me question this sport a bit. Especially for dd who is most definately a power gymnast. She's working like mad on her flexibility but she's so strong we need to find a technique so she can't fight the stretch.

I always thought gymnastics at the lower levels was fairly inclusive, but it seems bg only want flexible kids competing ...

I don't think BG has anything to do with novice rules, aren't they set by each regions own committee. I looked on the BG website and couldn't find anything. I would expect the word novice to mean 'beginner' and be a step up from rec maybe and just for girls training once or twice a week. To expect 180 splits on jumps for them would be too much. Although I remember your dd is doing 15 hours a week or so and is competing novice so maybe I am misunderstanding the novice programme.

I don't think BG has anything to do with novice rules, aren't they set by each regions own committee. I looked on the BG website and couldn't find anything. I would expect the word novice to mean 'beginner' and be a step up from rec maybe and just for girls training once or twice a week. To expect 180 splits on jumps for them would be too much. Although I remember your dd is doing 15 hours a week or so and is competing novice so maybe I am misunderstanding the novice programme.

This wasn't my dd competing:). Although you are right, she is doing 15 hrs, but has only been on team about 18m so will be competing novice when she starts competing. In this region you move up to intermediate *if* you achieve a benchmark score. "Novice" is actually pretty tough, there were kids there doing bwo-bhs on beam and ro- bhs-lo on floor. I think it's generally deemed that if you only train once or twice a week you compete at floor and vault rather than wag. My child just happens to be caught in the middle as her strength is bars, and beam (except for the leaps :lol:), so although not the most flexible or talented she doesn't want to do f+v,,but it's going to take a while for her dance and flexibility to catch up with her strength...

An 8 year old doing BHS on beam that is not considered WAG material. OMG. I always thought novice was for kids who did few hours and were doing their first comp. But I do see that the novice program varies all over the country and the clubs I know that use it are in the NW. Flossy your DD does novice doesn't she?? I seem to remember she was doing less than 12 hours a week. 15 hours is huge for an 8 year old not on the elite track.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back