Full turn on beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi again! This is my second post on the site, and I love it :) My niece is having trouble with her full turn on beam. I'll let her write about it.

Hi, I can't get my full turn on beam...I start flat foot and everything with my right foot in front and start to turn but when i get 3 fourths of the way around i lose my balance and i fall backwards. Can you help me?thanks

So that's it - at least how she describes it. If anyone can help, please do. Thank you!

Tell her she needs to keep her shoulders right over her hips, keep her stomach tight, and don't let her ribs stick out :] Also, if she is doing them with her arms in high fifth (I believe it's called crown in gymnastics), she should make sure she can see her fingers if she wiggles them while looking straight ahead. Otherwise, she will be pulling her shoulders back too far, which will cause her to fall backward. The arms also need to stay strong or else they will pull you off balance.

Have her practice balancing in passe because you need to be able to hold the position you turn in at least as long as it takes to complete the desired number of rotations (i.e. about one second for a single turn). There is nothing better than working on balancing in different positions, because that is how you figure out how to adjust your body to keep from falling in any direction. I remember being so frustrated trying to balance in different positions, but once it clicks, your body never really forgets how to balance in those positions :]

Full turns on beam are not as simple as it appears. Consider learning full turns while at Level 6. And realize that many Olympic athletes still compete only a single turn. So don't get frustrated if you can't get it right away. Nonetheless, there is a lot going on in performing a full turn on beam. Pull up, stomach in, spot the end of the beam etc. you probably lose your balance because you are not centered to begin with. Think of a straight line going through your feet to your head. You probably also fall backwards because you are leaning back. Practice passés on releve. See links below for drills

Full Turn on Beam - Tammy Biggs - YouTube

Full Turn Drill - Tammy Biggs - YouTube

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back