Coaches Fulls

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

P

peace.love.gymnast

I've been a coach for many years. I currently work at a small gym with equipment that is mostly for young children. I have a tumbler that is almost ready to start learning fulls. The problem is that we don't have a pit, tumble trak, or any spotting belts. It has been forever since I've spotted those, but I always had good equipment to work with. I would appreciate it greatly if anyone has any advice on how to go about spotting these without the proper equipment.

Can you take her to an open gym somewhere else in the area to practice with the proper equipments until you are both comfortable.. There are opengym practices at most gyms in our area every weekend for $5.00.. Coaches and gymnast come from smaller gyms to practice and use the equipment all the time

I've been a coach for many years. I currently work at a small gym with equipment that is mostly for young children. I have a tumbler that is almost ready to start learning fulls. The problem is that we don't have a pit, tumble trak, or any spotting belts. It has been forever since I've spotted those, but I always had good equipment to work with. I would appreciate it greatly if anyone has any advice on how to go about spotting these without the proper equipment.

I coach lots of kids who do fulls, but I haven't spotted one in about 10 years. They work layouts...layout 1/4...layout 1/2...layout 3/4...layout 1/1. No need for a pit or tumbletrack. There are some good drills that can be used on trampoline.

I think that's how most people teach fulls nowadays. It does take some time, but it promotes better twisting for the future.

I coach lots of kids who do fulls, but I haven't spotted one in about 10 years. They work layouts...layout 1/4...layout 1/2...layout 3/4...layout 1/1. No need for a pit or tumbletrack. There are some good drills that can be used on trampoline.

I think that's how most people teach fulls nowadays. It does take some time, but it promotes better twisting for the future.

Wouldn't a layout 1/4 be a really dangerous landing....Sideways landings are kind of scary, I think.

Wouldn't a layout 1/4 be a really dangerous landing....Sideways landings are kind of scary, I think.

Not really. We always train "up" onto 8" mats, to minimize wear and tear on the lower extremeties. I have never had a problem since we go slowly and the kids know where they are in the air. In order to train this way, the gymnasts need to do layouts properly before they even begin to twist.

I think it could be if you're not intending to do a 1/4 landing. Like if you're going for a 1/2 and are still twisting when you land. If it's a layout to a 1/4 twist at the very end of the skill, though, it's pretty unlikely a kid's going to be twisting fast enough to hurt a knee. It's more of a layout and look to the side so you land a little crooked than a twist.

I never spot fulls either. We also tumble up to 8 inch mats. I teach 1/2's then, 1/2 jump 1/2, then fulls. It really works if you are patient, and kids have a good awareness as to where a 1/2 is for 1 1/2, front fulls, etc.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back