Parents Fun weekend, had to share (kinda long)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

M

Midget's Dad

This weekend there was a meet locally that originally our L5s were supposed to go to but they pulled out at the last minute. But we had planned to go so off we went! If nothing else we might get to see Midget's competition in 2 weeks right? ;)

First off, I am not a morning person. but Midget was excited as always with anything gymnastics related so she dragged us out of bed at 7:30 Saturday to be at the first session. Silly girl.

By the time the first day was over, and having watched 3 L4 sessions, Midget had the routines memorized. To the point that, except for doing the ROBHS she pretty much did the routines to the music along with each competitor off to the side while we watched floor. And the same with beam. It was pretty funny. All in all we had a great time, except for food. The meet was at the Opryland Hotel. Great food for me, not so many choices for her.

After that we went to dinner with my parents as they drove through town so good times.

Sunday morning the L3s were competing starting at 8:30, so of course yet again we were up and at the meet. I felt the judges were very generous, but also extremely consistent. And apparently those judges are the same ones we will see in 2 weeks. So it might be an interesting meet. :D Midget spent a lot of time watching girls on bars and really paid attention to their mill circles. Such a competitor.

After we left Midget started sharing with me, again, about how nervous she is on bars ever since her fall. Which led to a, I thought, great talk about positive thinking and visualization as well as working through dealing with fear. Poor girl beats herself up so much, and has a tendency towards such a pessimistic attitude that it breaks my heart. But by the time we were done she was moving from "I can't do it" to "I will do it!" As always she makes me proud.

All in all was a fun weekend, we got to see some really good gymnasts, and also as parents we were paying a lot of attention to the other gyms. Not sure if we are going to move but it has been discussed. But that is a post for another time.

Sounds like a fun weekend. Sometimes it is nice to watch a meet, or even a session without the stress of your gymmie being in it !

I bet she beats that mill circle yet!! Best of luck in 2 weeks !!

It is fun to watch a meet when there is no stress! Sounds like it was fun. We went to cheer on her teammates from her old gym and had a really nice time.

As a parent it is sometimes nice to be able to watch without the stress but I am not sure I could have watched three sessions without knowing anyone. You are a better man than I am. :)

Now, as a gymmie, it must have killed her to watch all of those sessions and not compete. I know Cait would have been going nuts just watching...

Good luck in two weeks...

Sean

Sounds like great daddy-daughter time to me! Love it. But I agree with Iggy... watching 3 L4 meets without knowing someone (anyone) would be beyond my level of tolerance. We would sometimes stay to watch, or cheer for our own team, but that's about it. You da man!

It's always fun to watch DD "self train" a higher level routine - within reason. I have a strict rule about not getting blood on the carpet, so anything that may risk breaking this rule is off-limits. :)

Thanks for the update!

It wasn't too bad except for hearing the same music again and again and again and again. And we took the time to wander around between sessions and get ice cream and stuff so overall kind of fun.

I got some great insight into judging and also into the area coaches from other gyms so all in all I felt it was a worthwhile, though long, weekend.

Sounds like Midget really enjoyed the weekend! I'm sure she's practising those routines every spare minute.

;)You definitely get the dad-of-the-year award for going to a meet that your kid was not in!:) My husband barely makes it through our girls' meets!

Sounds like fun and your little one is obviously quite enamored with the sport! Very cool!

Wow, I think I would have to be sedated:) you definitely should get father of the year or some major brownie points.

I find a weekend of watching our meets with our girls and different floor music is a challenge. That ***-itis is just too much to endure!

You are definitely a cool dad! I was talked into sitting through an extra flight of a competition once, so Bean could cheer on her teammates. It was the 1st, and likely the last time I'll ever do it! My bum was numb (love the bleacher seating..lol) my eyes were bleary, and even as an avid gym fan, there's only so much "little kid gym" I can handle!

So, if you're ever in Ontario, and looking for another child to take along to a meet, I have one who'd LOVE to go!

Sounds like you had a great time, thanks for the update!

Time with Midget is always wonderful, no matter what we are doing. She has dragged me to meets to cheer on friends, dance recitals/competitions just to watch, now this. All totally worth it.

Wow! You really should win some kind of fabulous daddy award! What a sweet weekend! I am sure she must have been thrilled! Not sure my dh could handle the constant stream of the same music if he didn't have to!:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back