Parents Funny story about (not) watching practice

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

josie55

Proud Parent
The other day I found myself arriving about 30 minutes early to pick up, and decided to see what was going on. Usually if I arrive early it's only by 5-10 minutes, and all I ever see is stretching and conditioning but this time the girls were working bars.

The girls were broken into several stations and my dd was on a practice bar with one other teammate. For the entire 30 minutes she was working on a single skill, in straps, missing it over and over. It didn't seem like she was anywhere close to having it. She just kept trying and failing, taking turns with a teammate who was able to do the skill. The coach was on another set of bars, so from what I saw, my daughter was just floundering around, unable to make any progress. It was frustrating to watch. I thought to myself "this is why I don't watch practice!"

By way of background, I'm very happy with my dd's gym, coaches, etc. There was no way I would say anything about what I saw, but it was just kind of one of those frustrating things to watch. Oh, and it wasn't a dangerous skill (at least it didn't seem that way to me) so that wasn't what was bugging me.

So on the drive home I couldn't help myself. I asked my daughter: "So what was that bar skill you were working on?" She told me. I gently asked "It seemed like (coach) was on another set of bars. Is it kind of hard to work on a new skill without a coach there?" She cheerfully answered: "He worked with me on it for an hour yesterday, so I know what I'm supposed to be working on. Plus, he paired me up with (teammate) who knows how to do it, so she could help me. Oh, and he was watching me from the other set of bars and calling out corrections for me the entire time."

In other words, "we've got this, mom." I was kind of laughing at myself :)

Yes they do and that is why I don't watch practice.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back