Funny Things People who don't do gym have said?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I also remembered that once, when i was watching a beam routine on YouTube, there was a background music but it was from a floor routine. I didn't find it odd at all, because I tought Beam routines had music. But then the music stopped in the middle of the beam routine and I tought "Wow, her song stopped playing and she continued like nothing had happen!" :) Not that funny but I tought I could share.

Hahahha. oh my.

when i was in first grade, i was walking to lunch and i told my friend "yesterday i got my flip flop!"

that night her mom called and said that she wanted a matching pair.
>.<

Wow. I had forgotten about this thread. I love it and everyone has such funny stories.

Not really funny but a out of the mouths of babes kinda thing.

My daughter just started Kindergarten a couple weeks ago. My daughter as always been very articulate. When she was 2 yrs old she could carry on a full conversation with you.

Anyway, I get a call from her teacher earlier this week. I saw the name of the school on the caller ID and I cringed..lol.

The teacher explains to me that Kadee sits in the splits all the time during "circle time", and she really doesnt have an issue with this. But she has to draw the line when that day she did a pull over and hip circle on the playground equipment. (her daughter used to be a gymnast so she knows what things are called...and what its like to be a mom of a gymnast)

She wanted me to try and explain to Kadee that she CAN NOT do gymnastics at school. Because the school is not set up for her to do this safely.

She then said she tried to explain this to Kadee, and was met with her response of. "I appreciate your concern for my safety, but you really have no need to worry...Im a gymnast":whistling:

Sooo...I had to explain to her that the school playground is not a safe place to do gymnastics. I also had her HC tell her the same. So far no more calls from the school.

my friends always ask how my "gymnastics tournys" went, i just start laughing xD
also people also say do some gymnastics, and i say like what? and they just say idk so i just do hs pirouttes and they're amazed... but really it's nothing lol.
and one time i did a round off bhs bhs for this boy and he said something like "omg what level are you like 20?" lol :p

I always come home from my meets and my brother is like "did you win??" Im like its not like soccer when its just like overall.

My friends, and teachers always call competitions tournaments.
My friends decided the other day that I would be a great astronaut, because I would be able to do back flips in the space station.
Once a class mate was going on and on about a paper cut, I showed her my rips and I never heard a word about it again. I think I scared her, she decided that she would never ever do gymnastics. She used to attemet cartwheels outside but quit that too. She though that rips came from doing cartwheels. lol.

Hahaha I love everyone's stories.

Not sure if this really counts, but one time I was traveling with my family through a different state and I ran into a gas station to get a snack. This woman comes up to me and goes, "Hi, can you direct me to the Midwest Twisters meet?" And I'm like looking around, realizing I'm not wearing any gymnastics apparel or anything that would let her know that I'm a gymnast, and I'm not even in my home state where someone might recognize me, so I'm a little freaked out. I go, "I'm sorry, I don't know where that meet is. Do we know each other?" She says no. I say, "How did you know I was a gymnast?!" She says, very matter-of-factly (with a shoulder shrug), "Well, you look like one." I just thought it was funny that she came right up to me and asked for directions to a meet without even first finding out if I was, in fact, a gymnast :p

My dad, to this day, pronounces tsukahara (t-sook-ah-HAIR-ah.) Like half the syllables he pronounces wrong. He says T. Like T.Pain. T.Sook. Haha.

In my physics class I did a project on gymnastics and I showed a video of myself doing giants as an example of Newton's Laws. Everybody in the class was like, "You can DO that?! You can go all the way around those things?" Lol

OH! Also! My grandpa always used to say, "What time do you have to go to jump-up-and-down class?" Even when I was on team he would say that. Haha. Love you, gramps.

Last edited:
Spilts always gets a huge gasp. We do this drill at gym where we put our feet on the block and go into our bridge and lean back. My shoulders almost touch the floor, and the parent gasp (which we can hear form across the room and up the starirs!) and the gymnasts and coaches gag :p The other day I was talking to my teacher and she saw my hands, with rips, callouses and rip scars. She later asked if I was having an alright time at home :p

Last edited:
ONe time one of my teammates went to the party store and someone saw all the rips on her hands/wrists. They asked if someone was abusing/doing other things to her and she said no, but they still werent convinced. they said do you help I can get you help, and she just kept saying it was from gymnastics!

My hips are always pretty bruised up from bars - I get rips there, on my hands and wrists, and on my shins from kips. So one time when we had a swimming unit in gym class so I was in my swimsuit, my teacher was like, "Is everything alright at home?" and I was like "Oh, I'm a gymnast." and he was like :confused: so I explained that my hips bruise on bars and he was like, "Oh, so you're a gymnast...maybe you should join my track team." and I was like, "I repeat. I'm a GYMNAST. I never run more than 66 ft at one time, not to mention I have zero time to commit to track."

He liked me cause I hold the school record (for girls) for most sit-ups in one minute. Actually a teammate of mine tied with it this year, which is funny because she's got the same last name as me so it says our names in a row with the same number of sit-ups on the records board and everyone thinks we're sisters.

I was at a soccer game once, and my coaches told me to do a lap or two to warm up. I did, and they were laughing while I did them, so when I was done I was like `What?`and they said "You run like a gymnast!!!" Maybe you had to be there.

haha i was hanging with one of my friends and she was like "can you do one of those backspringhands and i just laughed and she's like and whats that pole you swing around? and that saddle you jump over LOL i think she means the vault ahahah

haha i was hanging with one of my friends and she was like "can you do one of those backspringhands and i just laughed and she's like and whats that pole you swing around? and that saddle you jump over LOL i think she means the vault ahahah

A "proud parent" that does gymnastics?!? I respect you.

Ok this past weekend, I had two friends over and we were watching a competition on tv (we were talking so much I was trying to pay attention but couldn't) and then my friend alex says "Oh! I like her costume!" Then a little while later, she said "Are they not supposed to step out of that box thing?" It was really funny and you might have just had to be there...

They was this girl who came to try out at our gym with her dad. My coach tested her and she was quite good, then the dad said yeah i know she is good because i use to be a black belt in gymnastics.
That is too funny!!! Whenever I get rips, I always hear from my parents, are you not wearing your grips.. they dont understand..

i don't do gym (sort of) and i said to my gymnast friend, "Do that flippy thingy!" and she got all confused at 'which' flippy thingy...so she started laughing at me and saying that every person who doesn't do gym asks her to do "flippy thingies" and that if i wanted her to do a "flippy thingy" i had to be more specific.
(i ended up showing her what i wanted her to do. GO ME!)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back