Funny Things People who don't do gym have said?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Very funny thread. :rotfl:

My dd bent her big toe way back last week vaulting and when I was talking to the Physical Therapist at work about it you should have seen the horriffied look on my co-workers face.:eek::jaw-dropping: You would have thought she had broken her leg or something really tramatic.:rolleyes: I almost laughed outloud.

Last edited:
I still think it's funny how some people who know my dd does gymnastics asks if she might be going to the Olympics.

Just the other day I was at Walmart wearing this years Olympic Trials shirt and a guy came up to me and asked for my autograph. I was like why? and He says, you made it to the olympics! Good Job good job!! haha, It was so funny, me and my friend ran out of the store laughing.

So I was on my pole vault boards, and there was a discussion about how stretching too much can be bad for you...w/e. I posted that I'm a really flexible gymnast and I always stretch a lot before everything(even track). Someone said that if I've always done it, it won't affect me. Then this other user posted, "Why is it advantageous for a gymnast to be flexible?"

A few other people posted really sarcastic and whitty comments back. It was great.

where did you find a pole vault board???

We did a tumbling unit in gym, and they were like "Who can do a handstand?" and I was like, "okay..." and I did one and everyone was like WHOA!!!!!!! Then I wowed them even more - a back walkover! No way!

My dad was watching the Olympics, watching some bar routine, and her mount was like a kip, then a cast then a clear-hip circle and he was like, "WOW SHE'S AMAZING!" I was like uhh dad...?

I do little tricks like walkovers and handsprings just whenever, and people are always amazed like I should be in the Olympics or something. Uhhh guys, I'm not really that good...

We did a tumbling unit in gym, and they were like "Who can do a handstand?" and I was like, "okay..." and I did one and everyone was like WHOA!!!!!!! Then I wowed them even more - a back walkover! No way!

My dad was watching the Olympics, watching some bar routine, and her mount was like a kip, then a cast then a clear-hip circle and he was like, "WOW SHE'S AMAZING!" I was like uhh dad...?

I do little tricks like walkovers and handsprings just whenever, and people are always amazed like I should be in the Olympics or something. Uhhh guys, I'm not really that good...

My dad did that yesterday - I think it was during Beth's bars, and she did a kip and he was like 'that's AMAZING! How do they do that!?' then he looked away and she did that release thing (sorry I don't know the name) where she releases, somersaults, then catches backwards and he missed it. :rolleyes:

I love doing gymnastics in PE! Everyone's like OMG I can't believe you just did that- and I'm just like, yeah, I learned that when I was seven.

I was sitting with my neighbor watching the high school football game when my daughter, a cheerleader started doing back handsprings. "So how long did it take her to learn THAT", my neighbor asked, "about a season and a half?" He has sort of a chip on his shoulder because his dd never could learn it. "Yeah" I replied. "About a season and a half." But, I continued, "She started when she was 6!".

This are some funny stories!!

We will be at a BBQ and my daughters like to walk on their hands outside, and everyone will watch them and tell them the same thing each time "I'll be watching the 2016 olympics." And they show their neightbors their palms and they are so surprised. They ask me what I do about their hands and they get so worried. LOL

Ah these are so funny I had to post one of my own.

I'm really good friends with the diving coach at my pool. He's like nationally ranked and stuff. So he'll let me use the trampolines there if I have spare time and can't leave the pool. Well all the divers resent that. So they'll be doing there flips and then stop and I'll do a flip and a flip and a twist. So we have this big 4 ft. tall mat pile that they use to practice flips off a springboard thats on the ground. They have one of those things you wear on you waist to do flips. Some divers where watching and they were like "we can do that without the harness." And they where saying remarks like how easy gymnastics was like "you have to have someone stand under you for bars" and all this stuff. So I stopped and said "If you fall off the board were do you land?" "The water." "If I fall off the 4 1/2 inch block of wood where do I land?" "Um...." Someone said "The foam pit?" i replyed and said "What foam pit" and went back to my flips letting them figure it out. :D

There was another time when I first met my current boyfriend who is a diver and he asked me what sport(s) I did. I said I did gymanstics/swimming. He said "Oh, a diver?" I said "No gymnastics/swimming." He was like "That would be diving." I was like "It's possible to do both gymnastics and swimming but not be doing diving." He didn't get it till I brought him to my swim practice and then my gym practice. He still doesn't get my meets. My dad and mom are very in the knowing of sports, even though all my mom has done is track/field (she did hurdles). So my dad will watch gymnastics and not flutter an eyelash. My boyfriend will watch and be like "OMG!" :yikes: My dad will turn to him and be like "That was easy for her..."

Those are awesome stories All-aroundgirl!!! Don't just love it when they have no clue as to what your sport is all about. What I think is so awesome about gymnastics is that the gymnasts make it look so easy and effortless. Yeah, you definitely have to be a gymnast to get it!!

Part of the confusion is that most schools have a "swimming and diving" team, and they compete in the same meets and everything. But swimming and diving really have nothing in common aside from the fact that both use a pool. They are very different sports that really shouldn't be combined onto one team. The swimmers don't like divers because they somehow thing diving is "easy". Its def not....just ask TDiver. The only time the swimmers and divers seem to respect each other is when one side isn't doing too well but they still win the meet because the other side helps out with points.

Part of the confusion is that most schools have a "swimming and diving" team, and they compete in the same meets and everything. But swimming and diving really have nothing in common aside from the fact that both use a pool. They are very different sports that really shouldn't be combined onto one team. The swimmers don't like divers because they somehow thing diving is "easy". Its def not....just ask TDiver. The only time the swimmers and divers seem to respect each other is when one side isn't doing too well but they still win the meet because the other side helps out with points.

Uh...what's that mean??? I mean most swimmers and divers respect each other. Heck my bf is a diver! So I don't get why you brought this up :confused: Sorry if I'm rude. My point earlier was divers here don't respect gymnasts. The swimmer and diver relationship is really good here. And there is no way diving is easy. We're doing dryland and the divers think we run to fast and the swimmers think the divers lift to high of weights! They're coming in and lifting 20 pounds!!!! We're like "we'll curl quitely with our 10 pounders..." :p:p:p:p But seriously i didn't mean anything about swimming/diving when i posted that. i meant diving/gymnastics.

Wow that story is not something that I have ever seen before! I can't believe the divers don't respect the gymnasts where you are from. I go to a meet and 90% of the divers were gymnasts! Every diver i've ever met knows gymnastics is hard and I've met a lot of divers lol. I have a ton of respect for gymnastics because i coach once in a while and was a level 10 though so I wouldn't understand a diver who had never done gymnastics before.

Most people think gymnastics is easy because we make it look easy :).

About the swimming and diving.. most my friends are on the swim team or are divers but it really isn't too much of an issue at my school anymore with respect for the divers. The divers went 1-2-3-4 at our school this past spring so the swimmers like us for our points. I have a lot of respect for club swimmers, they are up in the mornings at practice when i am and are back there after school too. It's hard but in different ways than diving.

My favorite thing that I get asked is how was swim practice after saying I just got home from diving 10 seconds before in the same conversation!

once i tried to lift something and couldnt, and one of my teachers (in school) was like 'you should be able to do that - youre a gymnast! dont you do strength stuff on the rings?' and was really surprised when i told her that girls don't do rings. and she used to do gymnastics when she was little!

i also get those 2 most common ones - 'you should go to the olympics' and 'can you do a backflip?' - 'yes' 'do one now' 'no...' 'youre only saying no cause you obviously cant do it' 'actually i could do roundoff, 2 'back flips' and a full twist, however we're on a concrete floor in the middle of school right now' xD

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back