Funny Things People who don't do gym have said?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

once i tried to lift something and couldnt, and one of my teachers (in school) was like 'you should be able to do that - youre a gymnast! dont you do strength stuff on the rings?' and was really surprised when i told her that girls don't do rings. and she used to do gymnastics when she was little!

i also get those 2 most common ones - 'you should go to the olympics' and 'can you do a backflip?' - 'yes' 'do one now' 'no...' 'youre only saying no cause you obviously cant do it' 'actually i could do roundoff, 2 'back flips' and a full twist, however we're on a concrete floor in the middle of school right now' xD

that's hilarious! :D

It seems like everyone outside of gymnastics thinks that girls who do gymnastics are trying to go to the olympics. I'm not positive about the #'s but isn't there only like 10 girls on the USA olympic team? That would be 10 girls every 4 years. You would have better luck winning the lottery.

Even less - try six! Next time it might only be five!

friend (who's a runner): i wish i was in a sport like gymnastics. cuz then i'd be in a beautiful sport that wont make me sweat.

gymnasts dont sweat? i'm not sure which gymnasts SHE was talking about...

:D

She was probably talking about the "gymnasts" in Stick It.

Uh...what's that mean??? I mean most swimmers and divers respect each other. Heck my bf is a diver! So I don't get why you brought this up :confused: Sorry if I'm rude. My point earlier was divers here don't respect gymnasts. The swimmer and diver relationship is really good here. And there is no way diving is easy. We're doing dryland and the divers think we run to fast and the swimmers think the divers lift to high of weights! They're coming in and lifting 20 pounds!!!! We're like "we'll curl quitely with our 10 pounders..." :p:p:p:p But seriously i didn't mean anything about swimming/diving when i posted that. i meant diving/gymnastics.

They mean that the person probably didn't understand that you could do gymnastics and swimming separately because possibly they are used to seeing that divers and swimmings train and compete for one team (in school or in YMCAs, for instance, I have noticed they combine the two sports and some don't understand that they are totally separate in the Olympics).

They mean that the person probably didn't understand that you could do gymnastics and swimming separately because possibly they are used to seeing that divers and swimmings train and compete for one team (in school or in YMCAs, for instance, I have noticed they combine the two sports and some don't understand that they are totally separate in the Olympics).

no we were talking about the swimmer/diver realtionship, not the diver/gymnast relationship.

Well when I found this site a couple months ago I asked my girlfriend (who does gym) why the heck anyone would call a gymnastics site "The Chalk Bucket". Didn't make any sense to me... She was like, "you know how I've got white stuff all over me after practice? Thats chalk!" "ohhh, duh, yeah". :confused:

And then there was another time a really long time ago when she was telling me how she messed up on beam, and I asked her, "Which beam, the thick one or the long skinny one?" I do know all the events now though, I promise! :)

Hahaha:D thats funny.

One time in high school a teacher was late to class. Me and a girl I went to gym with were talking as we waited. A friend Eric was on the football team, and he started asking us about gymnastics workouts. It turned into banter over which sport was harder. He told me he could do a cartwheel 'thingy.' I said that's awesome, grats man! He decided to show us, and his 'cartwheel' was actually a standing back tuck. He was pretty proud of himself, so I didn't tell him what he actually did :p He did it very well though!

Eventually he found out he was not doing a cartwheel, but the damage was done. From that day on I never got what position he played in football right on purpose. He broke his pinky at a game later the same year, and when we saw him as he was getting taped he gave us a salute. Football was always harder to him than gymnastics, but he eventually decided that we have it harder than cheerleaders...which was a pretty huge concession given it was high school and our cheerleaders actually owned!

All of these are so funny. Here are some of mine;

"Can you do that thingy on the thingy?'' I’m sorry I’ve never heard of a thingy.

''Aren't you ever worried about breaking your neck'' not until you mentioned it no.

''I want to do gymnastics because karate is to hard'' **Blink Blink** well yeah that’s smart because gymnastics training is a walk in the park.

''Wow I bet your good at gymnastics because your so short'' Yes because it has nothing to do with hard work, if your short your gonna be great at it. All short people join in!

And last but not least.

My guy friend said to me one day
''hey your so lucky your not a guy cause if you ever fell on that piece of wood you do those flip things on it would hurt" I didn’t respond to him I just walked away.

People just don't know. Lol... Yesterday someone said "Gymnastics looks crazy!" I said "It is crazy." They blinked and said "You're a gymnast. Defend yourself!" Like I would ever say it's easy...

"I heard gymnastics stunts your growth."

My other friend (also a gymnast) replied, without skipping a beat, "I heard basketball makes you taller."

Maybe you had to be there.

That is my favorite one! Mostly because that was dh's objection to our dd doing gymnastics. We were friends with Guard Young and his wife (well, more his wife. I threw her baby shower) in the few years before he went to the 2004 Olympics (we moved away in January 2004) and he used Guard as an example to prove that gymnastics makes you short. I had to point out that, at least according to his wife, Guard is the tallest person in his family! Genetics, not gymnastics.

My brother thinks gymnastics stunts your growth as well- he's like six something and I'm only 4"11.

I was complaining today because I have to wear kids clothes, and he went:
"Give up gymnastics then."

After pointing out a) I pratically have, thanks to the obscene amounts of homework I'm getting and b) gymnastics DOES NOT STUNT YOUR GROWTH FOR THE SIX MILLIONTH TIME, he went:

"A few inches less and you'd medically be defined a dwarf. It's not normal!"

Not really about gymnastics but I had to admit it was quite funny :p

My brother thinks gymnastics stunts your growth as well- he's like six something and I'm only 4"11.

I was complaining today because I have to wear kids clothes, and he went:
"Give up gymnastics then."

After pointing out a) I pratically have, thanks to the obscene amounts of homework I'm getting and b) gymnastics DOES NOT STUNT YOUR GROWTH FOR THE SIX MILLIONTH TIME, he went:

"A few inches less and you'd medically be defined a dwarf. It's not normal!"

Not really about gymnastics but I had to admit it was quite funny :p

ROTFL !!!!!

That is hysterical. Next time tell him that good things come in small packages. One of my college roommates was (well, she still is) 4ft 10 and 1/2 inches. Never did gymnastics a day in her life.

Sometimes people think that you have to be short in order to be a gymnast, so when my 5'5'' self says "I'm a gymnast" they say "Only short people can be gymnasts..." I sigh...

Sometimes I take cousins and friends to see DDs work out. Someone might fall off the beam and they are the only ones who gasp and react. Everyone else just keeps going with what they are doing. LOL, my cousin said to me "IS ALRIGHT? WHO IS GOING TO HELP HER?!" I said, "It happens all the time here, she is fine-- see she is already doing another back handspring on beam."

I think you have to be really geared up to watch this sport:p

If DH calls a Meet a Tournament one more time I might scream :eek:

Don't worry. My dad still uses beam and bars almost interchangebly. You should have seen his face when I tried to explain the new ending to my floor routine. It started with ring leap...and then moved to illusion. yikes!

Not as bad as my mother with pole vaulting though. She confuses the crap out of me when she mixes up bar and pole. Two completely different things.

These stories are great!

I was in a co-op class, and I got one small rip near the end of our bars workout. I was just like, 'I ripped, yeah whatever', but when I showed one guy in my class, and he kept going on about it "WOAH! how can you just be so ok about it? I had a blister like that when I was 3 and it hurt like BURNING FIRE!" (repeat about a dozen times on our way to the water fountain). I finally turned to him and showed him the callouses on my hands "You see that, and that and that?" "Uh huh?" "That's from the SIX rips I got on the first day!"
":eek:...crap."

I also freaked the living daylights out of a teenage guy I know by dropping into the splits. I just sat there and he was like "OH, stop that! That's just scary!"

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back