Funny Things People who don't do gym have said?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Okay, most know that IM not the most skilled in gymnastics vocabulary, but I am getting better I promise.

Anywho, my hubby, whom can't remember what ANYTHING is called made a comment after our 4 yr old daughter's first "meet".

He said "I can handle watching her do everything else, but I just can't deal with seeing her spin round and round on that dang pole.":eek:

So the two or three of you that mentioned someone calling it a pole, don't feel bad, my husband does too.

And in the process he has managed to reduce our 4 yr old DD to spinning on a pole. HMMMMM...lol

My best friend said that her bastetball stretches are harder than gymnastics stretches. All that they do for stretches are reaching down and touching their toes. Gymnastics stretches are not as easy as touching your toes to me.

The stretches we do are still pretty easy though.

I really like this thread. It always makes me laugh:)

My friend was in volleyball did one day, and they did wall sits for conditioning. She said no one on her team could hold them for more than about 20 seconds:eek: (During conditioning at gym, we would hold them for at least a minute)

This thread is hilarious!

I remember, when I used to go to gym about an hour away, my mom would almost always stop at this store to get food instead of having to go back to our local store, and then pick me up. So I would wait there in my leotard and be bored, but almost every single day I was there, some person would ask me "Are you a swimmer?"
I would almost yell at them "NOOO!!!! I'M A GYMNAST!!!"

And also, a while back, I was doing a handstand against a wall at school, waiting for my teacher to open up the class room and this girl came up to me.
Girl: "You know that's really easy. You're up against a wall."
Me: "Can you do it?"
Girl: "Duh!"
Me: "Okay, go ahead!" *steps down from handstand*
Girl: *goes up into handstand, holds it for half a second, then arms give out and she lands on her head*
Me: *tries not to laugh*

This same person also tried to convince me that she could do 7 back handsprings in a row, but she didn't want to hurt herself.

This thread is so funny.

My dd had some foot pain when she was level 6, so I took her to a doctor who specialized in foot injuries from sports.

He knew she was a gymnast, but obviously didn't know anything about the sport.

He asks, "Tell me about the shoes you wear in gymnastics?"

Even his assistant started cracking up. She said "Don't you watch the Olympics? Gymnasts don't wear shoes."

Also, at her regular pediatrician's office, he will go through a regular exam, asking her to do certain things. "Take a deep breath, stand on one foot, etc.", then he will just casually ask her to do a back flip. She just looks at him like he's crazy.

MamaofEnS

Also, at her regular pediatrician's office, he will go through a regular exam, asking her to do certain things. "Take a deep breath, stand on one foot, etc.", then he will just casually ask her to do a back flip. She just looks at him like he's crazy.

Haha that's hilarious! I am very flexible for an artistic gymnast and my pediatrician knows it! She does the same sort of thing running through all the simple tests and then sneaks in..."Put your head on your bum!" She finds it hilarious every time and brings in her junior doctors to see it!

Growth stunt. Haha.

"I heard gymnastics stunts your growth."

My other friend (also a gymnast) replied, without skipping a beat, "I heard basketball makes you taller."

Maybe you had to be there.

I totaly agree with you that gymnastics stunts your growth because I am in 6th grade and just reached four feet last year!!! Haha.

Game???

I was at a meet recently watching my daughter compete. This adorable 4 year old boy was sitting very patiently next to me. They played the national anthem and we sat down to watch. After watching a few floor routines he turned to me and said "When does the game start?" We totally cracked up.

OMG these are so funny. I am not a gymnast but my little one is. There is another mom that comes with her daughter. One night we were all talking about things they do at practice since she is new. One of the guys came in to practice. She said there is NO way I would ever let my son do gymnastics. We just all looked at her and asked why not. Of course he reply was it’s a girls sport boys should play ball. We all looked at each other and said well how you think they make it to the Olympics they have to start somewhere. They don’t just wake up doing this without training. She never said another word. To all of you guys kudos to you…:)

Just thought this was funny and had to share.

So I have to share something I heard at the gym the other day.

The younger team girls (L2-3) do an hour in the dance studio on Mondays. So they are in there stretching and this young girl about 8 or 9 is watching through the glass waiting for her rec tumbling class to start and she starts telling her brothers stuff about the team and what they do.

"See the girls in the pink (L2) are one team and the girls in green (L3) are the other team, and so they go against each other. 2 girls go at a time and whichever one finishes their thing first wins."

So apparently it is a head to head race.

Just imagine a bunch of parents sitting there with their hands over their mouths trying to keep from bursting out laughing.

Well, one time at gymnastics, me and some other girls were practicing floor routines, and one of my friends did a shushonova on the floor and someone upstairs in the observation area was like "Oh my heavens!" It was funny! And also once my friend did a back handspring back tuck on the tumble track, and this little boy from upstairs in the observation area screamed "Wow that was cool!" And once I did a pullover on a bar at the playground, and a little kid screamed "Wow, that's gymnastics!" And in my head I was like, um yeah, it is. LOL!

And then one time at the dentist, she asked me if I did any activities, and when I told her I did gymnastics she said "I love watching gymnastics! My favorite event to watch is the balance bars." So funny!

me - hey dad guess what i did tonight!!
dad - a herkey!
me - no, dad... thats cheerleading. haha
dad - a kip!
me - yes.. but i've had that for years
dad - a back hand spring on beam!
me - i've had that one too..

the guys in my class think it's hilarious that you can split the beam.. they draw pictures of a stick figure straddling the beam on the board in reading and write my name over it.

and last year i came in on crutches with a cast on and people ask me what i did, and i proceeded to say "i was doing a full and i came down wrong and landed on the side of my foot" and they're like what's a full?
"its a layout where you twist"
"whats a layout"
"you know what a back flip is?"
"yeah"
"a back flip where it looks like your standing up"
" okay"
"and you spin around while your doing that"
"WHAT?!"
"ugh. youtube it."

Haha I love this thread.

So I was at an event, and I was pumped because my girls qualified to state (first year level 4s). Gems from the conversation with my friends at that thing include:

-How old are they? (7-11) Wow, that's young! And they can do flips and stuff? You must be an amazing teacher (why thank you. But really, you are not saying what you think you are)
-So are they, like, Olympic level professionals?(I love them dearly, but no)
-Do you have to wear a little leotard suit thing too? (hahano)
-What level are they? (4). How many are there? (1-10, and then elite, which is what you see on TV). So they're almost halfway to the Olympics! (...not quite...)

They was this girl who came to try out at our gym with her dad. My coach tested her and she was quite good, then the dad said yeah i know she is good because i use to be a black belt in gymnastics.

A while back I was telling my friend how i had just learned my punch front. Then she she asked me "whats that?" Then I said "front tuck." Then she said "whats that?" Then I said "front flip." Then she was like "ooooooooh" lol

In my PE class we were doing gymnastics and on beam we had to have 4 spotters even to walk across because we could have fallen off.

Last edited:
Ah, the countless moments. Like when I was taking this written test for Phys.Ed the teacher said we could get comfertable. Right away, I went right into spilts and started my test without a word. When I looked up, everyone in the class was look at me with their jaw on the ground! It was halarious. Another time was the random tumbling/spilts at hotels. People would come out of their room and stare. One time, a little girl was watching me, and asked if I was going to be in the Olympics! LOL

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back