Funny Things People who don't do gym have said?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

New School

What are some funny things that non gym friends and such have said when they went to your meet or something?
In 5th grade my teacher came to our championships and I got a 9.0 on bars and shes like "You won! You had a perfect 9!"
My neighbor came to one of my meets and she asked my mom when I was going to do the running thing? Then shes like will she get another turn on the bars?
One time my dad said, "Did you land your vault?" Then I asked him, like do you mean stuck it? And hes like, "No, did you not fall off." I was like "DAD! Thats BEAM!"

lol please share some of yours!

On my first day at my new school, one of the girls asked meif I was a cheerleader. I was like, "Nope, I'm a gymnast." And she goes, "Oh yeah- I did gymnastics a while ago. I got up to like, level fifteen."
I had to walk away so that she wouldn't see me bust a gut laughing. :D :D

Teachers

A while back I was telling my friend how i had just learned my punch front. Then she she asked me "whats that?" Then I said "front tuck." Then she said "whats that?" Then I said "front flip." Then she was like "ooooooooh" lol

In my PE class we were doing gymnastics and on beam we had to have 4 spotters even to walk across because we could have fallen off.

Hahah:) I asked my gym teacher one day at the very end of class if I could do a front aerial in the gym. He's like yeah sure whatever. We got inside and I told him to watch. In the middle of me doing it he goes, "OMIGOD! WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!?!" I landed and was like, what? He goes- "I thought you were going to do like a cartwheel or something!

Another time I got yelled at for doing a handstand outside of school because my teacher said I was going to hurt myself. I was like, "Do you know what a backflip is?" and she was like, yeah.
I go , "yeah well I do those on a four inch surface four feet off the ground."
she stared at me and said, "ok justy stick to the handstands"
:)

oh yea i was getting vaccinations and was freaking out (silly i know - i have no problem chucking tricks and flips but can't cope with a needle) so to distract me she asked what are you doing after school and i said gymnastics and she says what type and im like beam floor bars and vault and she's like so you can do cartwheels and stuff on the bars and im like on the beam yea i can and she's like wow so are you going to the olympics in 2012 and i was thinking if i was i probably wouldn't be sitting here and i would be able to do alot more than cartwheels on the "bar" just coz im 15 and do gymnastics doesn't mean im going to the olympics

I have pictures on websites of me doing spilts. One of my friends saw one, and said " Well, don't you spilt the butt of your swimsuit thingy??!!" Also, one time one of my friends were calling things retarded (which I'm not a fan of her saying) so I said, "No, you mean that's so leotarded!" She didn't have any idea of what I meant. LOL

i remember once i came home from gym and i told my mum i split the beam and then she said "your not heavier than anyone else there, they need new equipment"

haha she thought i broke the beam :)

some one see's that I've got a rip and their like: but dont you have like bits of stuff that go over your hands??? and isn't that wight stuff to stop you getting blisters?? and I thought you wore tape over your hands to stop blisters??......... and so on.

and my personal pet hate: BUS DRIVER: are you going to the olympics? ME: I wish!!! BUS DRIVER: why not? ME: well only seven girls every 4 years make it, and im not realy that good!!!
BUS DRIVER: well maybe next time eh!

groan.

"Another time I got yelled at for doing a handstand outside of school because my teacher said I was going to hurt myself. I was like, "Do you know what a backflip is?" and she was like, yeah.
I go , "yeah well I do those on a four inch surface four feet off the ground."
she stared at me and said, "ok justy stick to the handstands"
:)" -KyroaGymnast

LOL I cant totally relate!!!1 At school there are like 3 foot high planters and there is like a 2 1/2 foot ledge on it. I was doing a handstand on it and one of the teacher came and was like "get down you might break your head open". SO I did because you dont want to mess with that teacher. Me and me friends just cracking up, I was like I have been doing that on beam since I was like 4. :)

I find it so funny that many people say the guys cringe at the sight of a girl doing the splits because it would hurt. When I was in grade school (grade 1 to 3 I think). It was the GUYS jumping up and landing into a split. I wasn't in gymnastics so I was both amazed and shocked that it didn't hurt them. lol

Also I worked in a kindergarten class and there's a girl in that class that whenever she has the chance she always sits into straddle split position (she doesn't quite have it but almost), even when she is sitting in a chair. She's not even in gymnastics. (there's no gym in town) I don't know if she's a fan though.

I find it so funny that many people say the guys cringe at the sight of a girl doing the splits because it would hurt. When I was in grade school (grade 1 to 3 I think). It was the GUYS jumping up and landing into a split. I wasn't in gymnastics so I was both amazed and shocked that it didn't hurt them. lol

Also I worked in a kindergarten class and there's a girl in that class that whenever she has the chance she always sits into straddle split position (she doesn't quite have it but almost), even when she is sitting in a chair. She's not even in gymnastics. (there's no gym in town) I don't know if she's a fan though.

For some reason I can't edit my post so I have to double post. I just realized that this girl I mention wears jeans when she does this so she actually might be able to get completely to the ground on her straddle split.

My former history teacher whom I hate very much asked me this after state meet: "So, you'll be going out for track-and-field during the off-season?"

Me: "Off-season? I do not understand this of what you speak."

He's a track-and-field coach...a lot of non-gymnastics athletes don't get the idea of training the same intensity year-round.

I'm still waiting for my daughter to get the memo about the gymnasts being short thing. She's only been taking classes for a year and has grown 4 inches in that time period.

She was in kindgergarten this past year and early in the year I got a phone call from her teacher being asked to explain the injuries on her hands. She hadn't mentioned anything so I asked the teacher if she asked her where they came from and the teacher said that my daughter told her "They are just rips. I do gymnastics. Duh." (I had to laugh and then talk to her about talking to adults in a respectful manner.)

I also laugh when I get asked when I am going to pull my 6yo from school to start homeschooling her so she can be ready for the Olympics.

i have really good oversplits and a girl asked me "how do you get your splits down all the way? i heard you have to break your leg or something if you want to do the splits" hahah

Hi, those are hillarious.
I'm a 14 yo male acrobatic gymnast (joined 8 months ago) and I progressed a lot, so I love when we do gymnastics at P.E. and the boys are like "gymnastics it's a girls sport" and I'm like "so are soccer, and volleyball, and tennis, but they are all boys sports also :D".

They completely disrespect any sport that's not soccer ( here at my country) and they all thing they are just awesome because they can do a cartwheel.:mad:

Once, in the change room before class, a friend (guy) joked "oooh, gymnastics, we're going to do cartwheels and rolls, that's SOOO cool, that's so female" and I just thought "my dog must be better than you doing a cartwheel!".
I replied "i'd love to see your front handsprings" and he was like: "what's that?":confused:

I just remembered another one:
The day before yesterday I went to my last practice before summer and our coach said "and we'll start doing flic-flac drills" and a girl looked at me and asked "What's that?" and I replied "it's like a front handspring but backwards". She looked at me like :eek: and I was like "what in earth are you doing here?" ( anyway she's not bad at all :))

Also, at the end of practice, my dad asked me "how was the practicing?"
me: cool
dad: did you use that thing that jumps?
me: yeah, the mini-trampoline
dad: no, i mean when you roll on the air
me: like front tucks :confused:

At a party, one of our neighbors overheard me talking to a friend about the upcoming MEET season.

After finding out that DD was a gymnast, the neighbor confessed that she originally thought we followed some kind of religion in which we were only allowed to eat MEAT during certain times of the year.

:)

OMG, I couldn't stop laughing when I read this post!!!! :D
I love the way y'all call people who don't do gymnastics: "the non-gyms":rolleyes:

Once my dad picked me and a girl we were driving home up from gym. He asked how practice was, and the girl said, "It was ok. I split the beam". My dad said, "Wow! That's great! How do you do it?" (he's always asking me to describe new skills I get) I started laughing and she stammered, "It's not really a good thing." It was sooo funny!

I get the silly questions too when I get rips... when I tell people I have skin tore off my hands from doing bars at gymnastics I usually get "don't you wear those glove things?" "You mean grips?"

~Katy

Lol this is really funny!! The most annoying thing that happens to me is with people who know I do gymnastics they are all like:
"Show be a backflip".
And I'll say, no.
and they'll say why you did it the other day??
and I'll say, "What you mean that bridge??"
Sooo funny!!
Oh and btw the thing about doing a backhandspring on pavement, well I did a back handspring on hard ground and I broke my elbow. Never doing that again!!

Hi, again!
Today, I was doing walkovers and front handsprings and some my best friends were watching, and one of them (a 12 yo girl) started saying:
"You know, you should be in a contest"
me: "What contest?"
her: "Those contests, where the germans and others go"
me: "What?"
her: "You know, like when they jump in tose mini horses, but it's not just that"
me: "You mean a gymnastics competition?" :S

It was so weird, she tought it was a contest where people did whatever they wanted to, like singing or dancing.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back