Funny Things People who don't do gym have said?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

What are some funny things that non gym friends and such have said when they went to your meet or something?
In 5th grade my teacher came to our championships and I got a 9.0 on bars and shes like "You won! You had a perfect 9!"
My neighbor came to one of my meets and she asked my mom when I was going to do the running thing? Then shes like will she get another turn on the bars?
One time my dad said, "Did you land your vault?" Then I asked him, like do you mean stuck it? And hes like, "No, did you not fall off." I was like "DAD! Thats BEAM!"

lol please share some of yours!

Those are so funny! I can't think of any at the moment....

we were talking about hsm, and gymnastics youthgroup and one of our friends comes up and tells my mom that we were talking about highschool musical, gymnastics, and some food called Nastia. it was very funny!!:rolleyes: good times good times

What are some funny things that non gym friends and such have said when they went to your meet or something?
In 5th grade my teacher came to our championships and I got a 9.0 on bars and shes like "You won! You had a perfect 9!"
My neighbor came to one of my meets and she asked my mom when I was going to do the running thing? Then shes like will she get another turn on the bars?
One time my dad said, "Did you land your vault?" Then I asked him, like do you mean stuck it? And hes like, "No, did you not fall off." I was like "DAD! Thats BEAM!"

lol please share some of yours!

Well when I found this site a couple months ago I asked my girlfriend (who does gym) why the heck anyone would call a gymnastics site "The Chalk Bucket". Didn't make any sense to me... She was like, "you know how I've got white stuff all over me after practice? Thats chalk!" "ohhh, duh, yeah". :confused:

And then there was another time a really long time ago when she was telling me how she messed up on beam, and I asked her, "Which beam, the thick one or the long skinny one?" I do know all the events now though, I promise! :)

How about the way any "non-gymnast" reacts to any skill which finishes in a straddle or split on the beam or floor?

They gasp like it's the end of the world when someone does a rufolva, then ask, "doesn't that HURT???"

the answer is always, "yeah...no biggie."

How about the way any "non-gymnast" reacts to any skill which finishes in a straddle or split on the beam or floor?

They gasp like it's the end of the world when someone does a rufolva, then ask, "doesn't that HURT???"

the answer is always, "yeah...no biggie."

LOL that is so true! When my DD does her splits people always gasp. I'm like what are you talking about she could sleep like that or watch tv in that position.

When we went to San Diego for a holiday the week before my DD's comp, she was going up a level and needed to practice. We went to the YMCA at mission valley to work out, originally she was going to have two privates, but that didn't work out so they put her with their level 4/5 group.

DD, 6 at the time, kept running over to ask why the girls kept falling off the beam in their demi-roue (which is an A skill here, basically cartwheel into HS going back onto the beam) and then not getting back on and finishing their routine. I couldn't tell her, so we asked the coach, she looked at us like we were deranged, "That's the dismount" she said. We couldn't stop laughing. DD came home and had to show everyone at the gym how they "fall off" to dismount beam in the US.

DD was also shocked that the level fours never went on the high bar, here all levels do squat on to the high bar. She also worked her first kip there, as we don't need kips until about level 7, until then they are a bonus skill.

I think it was more "lost in translation", but we must've looked so dumb when the coach explained.

Plus just about everything hubby says about gym is funny, after 7 years he doesn't know what anything is called, doesn't understand the levels or the scoring, so he stays home, I bring video and tell him how they did. He always think they do well even when they suck. Which is nice for them, but isn't good at meets when the judge gives them a realistic score and he is pissed off:D.

The splits/straddle one definately... I can't even imagine not being able to do splits :p

Someone asked me once why I was wearing a swimming costume to gym. They thought you wore... wait for it... a tutu :eek:! I was like, have you ever watched gymnastics?????

"I heard gymnastics stunts your growth."

My other friend (also a gymnast) replied, without skipping a beat, "I heard basketball makes you taller."

Maybe you had to be there.

haha yes I think thats funny!
I love how the parents when ppl like straddle the beam will like gasp! and when I first got on team you know that noise that the bars make when people like catch them from the high bar? We'll we would all like jump and think someone was hurt.

I still think it's funny how some people who know my dd does gymnastics asks if she might be going to the Olympics.

It seems like everyone outside of gymnastics thinks that girls who do gymnastics are trying to go to the olympics. I'm not positive about the #'s but isn't there only like 10 girls on the USA olympic team? That would be 10 girls every 4 years. You would have better luck winning the lottery.

I know! I met people the first day of highschool and we had to share a fun fact about ourselves. I said that I was really lfexible and proceeded to do a backwalkover into splits (in jeans). Then everyone asked, "So when are you going to the Olympics" I cannot even count how many times I've been asked that question. So I got the dgs 9.9 t-shirt "top ten reasons to do gymnastics" The number one reason is "Everyone automatically assumes you're going to the Olympics one day soon. "

You know, one of the reasons I've always liked rollout skills on floor is because it they make all the parents gasp.

Haha that's brilliant... do you not just love seeing the parents faces when their kids first show them a bhs backtuck or something and a release? Priceless :D.
Having said that, I've done gymnastics for about ten years and Mum still can't watch beam for some reason...

haha yes. I remember I was like 6 or 7 and I was trying to get my back walkover and I did it once and fell on my face and my nose was bleeding and I broke my glasses(lucky enough not to wear them anymore.. lol ) and then once my nose stopped bleeding I started doing more and my mom's like No! Don't do more! lol

The worst: Can you do a back flip? Or do you need to use your hands?
I don't even want to asnwer that question...

Or: Can you teach me to do that?

Are you going to the Olympics? And when you tell them no they act like you must not be very good...I hate that!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm really flexible, but not even close to rhythmic standards or anything.

I was telling my friend about rhythmic gymnastics and she said 'Can you be a rhythmic gymnast?' I told her I wasn't flexible enough and she refused to believe me.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back