Funny Things People who don't do gym have said?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

friend (who's a runner): i wish i was in a sport like gymnastics. cuz then i'd be in a beautiful sport that wont make me sweat.

gymnasts dont sweat? i'm not sure which gymnasts SHE was talking about...

:D

I'm really flexible, even for a gymnast. I did a trends health class, where we did yoga, pilates, aerobic dance, kickboxing, etc. We were watching this advanced yoga video and a kid in my class was just sitting there watching me, then the video, then yelled out in this peaceful moment, "Gosh, this video lady just sucks, you should be on there instead!"

My gym classmates also believe all gymnasts are as flexible as me...and get extremely angry meeting a gymnast who isn't!

I thought I posted this but...

My friend Matt quit gym about 2 years ago now, and was never so into women's gymnastics. Well we were having this convo in French class about someone we'd like to meet and i mentioned Shawn Johnson. He asked who it was, and I said the 2007 world champion. He goes, "Who's he?" I infromed him that Shawn is definitely female!

haha these are all really funny. i've heard a lot of them before:

so youre going to the olympics then? (or the "i'll be watching for you in 2012" i've gotten that one, too)

can you do a back flip? how bout WITHOUT hands?!

what do you WEAR when you do your flips? (and when i say "a leo" they dont know what that is)

oh, and if i have rips, people say "well why do you get those when youre wearing your gymnastics gloves [grips] and using the white powdery stuff [chalk]?

do you have gymnastics tournaments?

oh and a couple days ago my teammate told someone that she was going to the olympics (and she is... but just to watch) and they thought she was competing :p

"You're too old to start now!" - at 10
"So why didn't you let me start earlier when everyone else did?"
"It's bad for you when you're still growing!" - from the same person, my mother.

My father, on the other hand, uses gymnastics terms to refer to any spectacular wipeout where someone's taking some air in any sport. I should introduce him to YouTube.

"I bet you still look hot in a leotard" - from my ex boyfriend. Who's still never going to see it.

For the record, no matter how many times I see people do it and live, I never get over the crotch-first beam and floor landings. I must have been a guy in a past life.

LOL that is so true! When my DD does her splits people always gasp. I'm like what are you talking about she could sleep like that or watch tv in that position.

i think it is amusing how ppl find the splits so spectacular and as a gymnast ur just kinda thinking seriously?! i could sit like this for hours!

haha everyone is amazed that we can do splits and im like guys im not even that flexable!

omg i run into this all the time mostly in track when we are stretching and ppl are like do that cool flexible stuff and i'll do like the splits or a walkover and they'lll be like..whoa..how'd you do that..and i'm not even that flexible for a gymnast..i could think of so many girls way more flexible than me but non gymns think differently i guess..

i dont like it when people pronouce gymnastics "gyNastics" they dont even say the word "GYM!"

OMG--I'm cracking up reading all this!!

My 9 yr old dd was in PE class in school and they were playing volleyball and this one boy said to her, "You can do a back handspring but you can't hit a volleyball????" Little does he know my dd has no hand-eye coordination WHATSOEVER!!! She is horrible at ball sports and runs away from the ball screaming!!!

OMG--I'm cracking up reading all this!!

My 9 yr old dd was in PE class in school and they were playing volleyball and this one boy said to her, "You can do a back handspring but you can't hit a volleyball????" Little does he know my dd has no hand-eye coordination WHATSOEVER!!! She is horrible at ball sports and runs away from the ball screaming!!!

That is me like exactly. No hand eye coordination like at all.

Whenever I do like a back handspring or something my one friend always says I wish I started gymnastics when I was young so I could have been trained to be an invertibrate at a young age.

A while ago in class we were talking about decimals and somehow scores came up so she asked my classmate (who apparently was a high level gymnast but I don't believe her) what would be the best score you can get in gymnastics? And she said a 9.999. I tried so hard not to laugh

A while ago in class we were talking about decimals and somehow scores came up so she asked my classmate (who apparently was a high level gymnast but I don't believe her) what would be the best score you can get in gymnastics? And she said a 9.999. I tried so hard not to laugh

Well, duh, any higher you'll break the warp barrier and disintegrate into chalk! ;-)

:D oh yeah - i though of another one:

somebody asked me if i wear padding while i do my "gymnastics tricks". i was like uh no, i'm a GYMNAST not a football player....

Quote from FlipTwistFly28:

i dont like it when people pronouce gymnastics "gyNastics" they dont even say the word "GYM!"

That bugs me too! Just like it's KINDERgarter, not KIDNEYgarten.

Last edited:
people at school are always like: "can you do a back flip"
i'm like: "yeah"
and then they say "can you do it now"
and we are in the middle of a class or like outside on pavement studying or something
and i'm like "um... no i'm not gonna do one now!"
and they're like: "well why not?"

oh and i'm on the cheerleading squad and i don't like to tumble on gym floors because i have knee and wrist problems so i only tumble when we get to competition. and this one girl on my team was like:
"well maybe next year we can get a real tumbler who can do like back flips and stuff"
[and this 'real tumbler' she was talking about can do a bhs... with a heavy spot and thats all]
i was about to punch her in the face!

I hate that! I have injuries and well be like on pavement or something, and someone will be like do a backflip. I'm like just because I can do one doesn't mean I have to. I'm not stupid enough to do it on pavement, one mistake and its over

At a party, one of our neighbors overheard me talking to a friend about the upcoming MEET season.

After finding out that DD was a gymnast, the neighbor confessed that she originally thought we followed some kind of religion in which we were only allowed to eat MEAT during certain times of the year.

:)

At a party, one of our neighbors overheard me talking to a friend about the upcoming MEET season.

After finding out that DD was a gymnast, the neighbor confessed that she originally thought we followed some kind of religion in which we were only allowed to eat MEAT during certain times of the year.

:)

That is HILARIOUS! :D

So I was on my pole vault boards, and there was a discussion about how stretching too much can be bad for you...w/e. I posted that I'm a really flexible gymnast and I always stretch a lot before everything(even track). Someone said that if I've always done it, it won't affect me. Then this other user posted, "Why is it advantageous for a gymnast to be flexible?"

A few other people posted really sarcastic and whitty comments back. It was great.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back