Anon Future scoring

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Lurker

Proud Parent
It seems lately there have been multiple threads with the theme of scoring discrepancies. Does anyone think in the future it could be done with multiple camera angles and some fancy algorithms? Could humans ever be replaced by computers for gymnastics scoring?

I think technology wise absolutely this could happen. It could be done today. The question is more institutional in terms of would USGA and gyms adopt the tech and make the necessary investments. I am still amazed that people are so passionate about the sport that they judge on the weekends for so little money. They may need to switch to AI if that falls off. It would feel funny to salute a computer though!

JBS, how do judges get paid? Through 1099 with individual gyms or are they official employees of USGA? self employment tax certainly would eat into those rates, particularly at the lower levels.

Judges are paid for their rating... not for the level that they are judging. Most judges are not judging on the lower end of the pay scale for too long. Judges would have to answer this more than me... but I'd say most of the judges in our area are L10 rated (it takes a couple of years to become L10 rated... so new judges are not at that level). Not many are Brevet rated... not sure about National.

Taxes eat into all income... but yes... judges should be paying self employment tax.

Here is a presentation to look over...

$30 an hour plus mileage and per diem is not a bad deal at all. In our state, nearly all the judges who judge compulsory are actually level 10 rated judges - but it’s easier to get paid to judge the same thing over and over than have to calculate bonuses and start values (and still make the same $30). Many coaches take up judging because it certainly pays better than coaching

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back