MAG FX Start Value

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

ZJsMom

Proud Parent
Is there anyone on here who's good with the MAG JO code and feels like helping me figure out my DS's start value on FX? He's been getting different ones that don't make sense to me and I can't get there based on what I know. KRC?

In can go through what I think he should get vs. what he's gotten if you'd like, or tell you what he's done and let you calculate it.

One issue that's come up when discussing it with him is what's a "recognizable gymnastics skill" that gets A credit. He thinks jump to prone is one, but I'm not convinced.

It's been a little different each meet.

Meet 1. RO, BHS, Full, punch front, jump to prone, press Japanese handstand, RO arabian, RO, BHS, BLO, RO, BHS, 3/2.
I get two Cs (Japanese press and 3/2) for .6
three Bs (LO, arabian, Full) for .6
4 (or 5) As (RO, BHS, Front tuck, Cartwheel) for .4-.5
Start value 4.1 or 4.2. Judge gave him 4.0

Meet 2. RO, BHS, Double full, punch front, jump to prone, Japanese press, RO arabian, RO, BHS, BLO, Scale, RO, BHS 3/2.

I get three Cs for .9
Two Bs for .4
and 4 As for .4 (or .5 if you count jump to prone as an A)
Start value 4.2 or 4.3. Judge have him 4.1.

Last meet, they didn't separate out scores. He did same routine as meet 2 without the scale. He got a 12.8. I'm assuming he got at least a 4.1 start value. If he got 4.0, his execution score would have to be 8.8, which qualifies for execution bonus and would bump his score to 12.9.

At first, I thought he might not be getting credit for the Japanese press, but he must be. I think he'd be in the 3s without it. I think the discrepancy has to be on how many of the skills count for A credit. I'm not sure though. I'm confused. :confused:

Yes. Lower or swing to Japanese handstand is B, press is C.
upload_2016-1-19_18-6-14.png

So finding that the jump to the floor is an A, would put my calculation at 4.2 for meet 1 and 4.3 for meet 2. I wouldn't be that surprised if they docked him the Japanese press for short hold, but that would lose .3 and I'm .2 from the judges.

I haven't asked his coach. He's pretty busy so I don't want bother him if I can figure it out. I might though. I'd like to know if he knows what start value they gave DS at meet 3.

I believe they only count 8 skills, no matter how many you do. So in the first one
He would only get credit fro 3 As which would be .3. That would give the start value at 4.0.

ah. OK. I couldnt' remember and the resource I use isn't online any more. :)

Or am I wrong about 10s counting 10 skills? Skchlag's explanation does explain those two start values.

Other weird thing, for the first meet, coach had accidentally registered him as a 9. Maybe his card still said 9 and he was judged as a 9?

Nope. You are= right. Unless they did judge him as a 9.

10 15-16 NATIONAL 10 (9 + dismount)* 2.5
C = 0.5 B = 0.3 A = 0.0 0.2

And it appears that his start value would have been higher...

Hello!
The "A with no element groups" are infrequently applied at L10. It is doubtful that a RO for instance would be given an A at L10. Unfortunately there is no list of acceptable A's so each judge is free to decide for themselves. Looking at R1 take out the ro and cartwheel and DS is at 4.0. For R2 I count 1.7 (4.2). There is a good chance that the wide arm was devalued to a B press if it wasn't low enough. No execution bonus though, that is only for .8 or less. (That was changed from 1.2 a while ago) I'd be happy to look at a video if you have one.

KRC

Thanks, KRC! (Interesting about the devaluation -- I think our head coach mentioned that one of our guys has been having that happen with his press, which is probably why I was thinking it was a B.)

Hello!
The "A with no element groups" are infrequently applied at L10. It is doubtful that a RO for instance would be given an A at L10. Unfortunately there is no list of acceptable A's so each judge is free to decide for themselves. Looking at R1 take out the ro and cartwheel and DS is at 4.0. For R2 I count 1.7 (4.2). There is a good chance that the wide arm was devalued to a B press if it wasn't low enough. No execution bonus though, that is only for .8 or less. (That was changed from 1.2 a while ago) I'd be happy to look at a video if you have one.

KRC
Thanks KRC! That makes sense now. Routine 3 must have been 4.1/8.7. I would have given him a higher execution score and I don't usually have "mom eyes." In fact, I think a lot of his execution scores are ridiculously high. On that one though, he rolled his ankle on a corner transition. The judge probably took more on that than I would. I guess I have "mom eyes" there because I just thought "ouch! I hope he's okay." He's had a series of ankle sprains and his ankle really lacks stability. He even had an ankle brace on. He's been using a 4 incher for the double full and maybe it's doing more harm than good.

KRC, I'll send you routine 3. He may be upgrading through the season, but with his bad ankle, I'd kind of rather see him max out a middle of the road routine than add skills that have the potential of crunching his ankle.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back