Gabby Douglas Hate - (Hopefully) An End

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Haven't read through this whole thread, but at 10+ pages, I'm going to assume this has been dredged out enough, but I did want to ask....

If you were a 20 year old adult, who just realized that YOUR stock had dropped considerably bc you were out scored and did not qualify to the AA finals AND were responsible for the many family members who were employed for YOUR brand, could you stand on a podium in front of MILLIONS of people with composure (arguable)?

Not so sure that I could do that and I'm in my thirties. I'm not sure I could be in the moment.

Additionally, in regards to her reactions in the stands, let us not forget how we treated the FRESHMEN in high school. Did we not ridicule them for their enthusiasm? There is a considerable disconnect between 16 year olds and a 20 year old, even if the 20 year old hasn't reached full maturity.

I will also add that I do hold some discontent for Ms. Douglas that stems from her qualifying in the AA in 2012 and Ms. Wieber did not. I firmly believe that if she had not come in 1st at the trials in 2012, she would not have even been on that team. BUT, she is a PERSON that has done more than most of us can imagine, and she deserves our consideration. My momma taught me: if you don't have anything nice to say, it's best to say nothing at all.

My daughters favourite food is soup, 2nd favourite is lasagne, so that would have to be a hit!
And if you say it's easy sce then I'm wanting to try that one!

Have you all made taco soup? We love it. It's easy and can be healthy or not depending on toppings (why do I love sour cream and corn chips?).

I make soup almost every week.

That is quite right. She qualifies as non-military. which means the standard is face the flag, and stand at attention with hand over heart. That is what the US code requires and exactly what she did not do.
But TECHNICALLY, the same US Code identifies the National Anthem as the music AND words. There was music, but no words. In my mind, there could be a difference.

I think, also, we have to remember that we are seeing exactly what NBC wants us to see of her. She could have stood up and cheered, then sat down, and that is when NBC focused on her. I think that NBC has been happy to jump on this train and get people to watch to see what happens next.
They did accidentally show her standing up cheering for a brief second during beam finals... But she was already getting ready to sit back down.

We are missing a boatload of awesome words. I think I'll go in Amazon and find a book of fantastic British/English words (not sure if that's a thing, but Amazon has everything), and learn them all....time to start a trend here in the states :)
My favs have to do with guys offer to "knock you up in the morning" and then later, asking to borrow a "rubber" :) But we do have kerfuffles in Ohio at least ;)

But TECHNICALLY, the same US Code identifies the National Anthem as the music AND words. There was music, but no words. In my mind, there could be a difference.

This topic has become somewhat tiresome. But I really did have to respond to this. The code refers to a "rendition," clearly meaning any rendition or interpretation. Do you seriously want to argue that when the various National Anthems are played at the Olympic Games they are not intended to actually be the real National Anthems ? Also -- the American flag is being raised at the same time. Look, I am way past caring about what Gabby did or did not do during the medal ceremony. But I find some of the comments about this truly silly.

Can we please get back to taco soup now???????o_O

Taco Soup

It's soooo complicated.
Mandatory ingredients:
1 packet taco seasoning
1 packet ranch salad dressing mix ( it's a powder)

Optional: Any combination of the following ingredients, I use all

2 cans tomatoes, I use rotel and diced or Mexican stewed
Corn, I use 1/2 a bag of frozen, canned works too
2 cans beans rinsed, black, pinto, kidney what ever you have
1lb ground beef or turkey cooked, I cook it with onion
1 box low sodium broth beef or chicken

Cook in slow cooker on low all day or for a few hours or on the stove

Serve with corn chips and taco toppings

It can get salty so you may use low sodium versions of the above.

Add extra spice for heat.

Taco Soup

It's soooo complicated.
Mandatory ingredients:
1 packet taco seasoning
1 packet ranch salad dressing mix ( it's a powder)

Optional: Any combination of the following ingredients, I use all

2 cans tomatoes, I use rotel and diced or Mexican stewed
Corn, I use 1/2 a bag of frozen, canned works too
2 cans beans rinsed, black, pinto, kidney what ever you have
1lb ground beef or turkey cooked, I cook it with onion
1 box low sodium broth beef or chicken

Cook in slow cooker on low all day or for a few hours or on the stove

Serve with corn chips and taco toppings

It can get salty so you may use low sodium versions of the above.

Add extra spice for heat.

What time is dinner? I'm in. :D

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back