Gabby Douglas Hate - (Hopefully) An End

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Margo the US seems obsessed by turkey everything (you know you can consume 3 people's food if it's 'lean' turkey and it's not bad for you? Not sure if any of it's actually turkey though, I don't see the turkey population to provide.

So I'm assuming some kind of Italian type sausage ( fennel eg type) or really any sausage you like would work.
Remember so many American recipes revolve around processed ingredients that are easily substituted.
I and my family are most definitely NOT obsessed with turkey. At Thanksgiving, half of us still don't eat turkey. And I have spice issues (some are allergies and others just intolerances), a spinach allergy, and technically a tomato allergy (but it only causes my throat to swell shut once in a blue moon, so its fine as long as I am careful to limit consumption).
I eat hamburger and ham and bacon... And in the last couple years, i have added chicken breast (in very small, cut up pieces, I can eat about an ounce in a meal). Spicing things is done with salt, garlic powder or garlic salt or garlic, onions or onion powder, a very small amount of pepper, and a tiny bit of oregano.

If my FAM is eating something spicy, I eat something else or my sister makes me a bland version :) They also warn me about potential spice issues because they are not fond of the ER waiting room, lol.

What on earth do the rules for military have to do with what happened on that podium in Rio?
Absolutely nothing. It was a discussion between two Military spouses, clarifying a misunderstanding. I misunderstood her and wanted to ensure we were both on the same page. It was no more off topic than gardening or soup. ...taco soup

Speaking of tacos, We had chicken tacos, chicken quesadillas, and chicken nachos for dinner tonight. That way, each of us got what we liked best, and nobody in our 7 member household complained.

most recent cover of TIME Magazine

troll-cover.jpg

Will pick that up. The internet can be so wonderful, yet so horrible.
It is a magnifier for the best and worst of humanity,isn't it? The ability to freely share information and interact with those around the globe is a spectacular,trans formative innovation. But the anonymous nature seems to bring out the worst in people. On balance much more good than bad, but wish people would more deeply realize when typing on that keyboard they are speaking about, or to, another actual human being.

It is a magnifier for the best and worst of humanity,isn't it? The ability to freely share information and interact with those around the globe is a spectacular,trans formative innovation. But the anonymous nature seems to bring out the worst in people. On balance much more good than bad, but wish people would more deeply realize when typing on that keyboard they are speaking about, or to, another actual human being.

100%.

And now of note, with the Ryan Lochte / US Swimming alleged scandal gaining a lot of traction on the Internet, it has been pointed out by many there is a double standard going on. Gabby - she doesn't have her hand over her heart/doesn't cheer enough, and she is put through the ringer and very harshly criticized. Ryan Lochte - details are starting to emerge but he very well may have lied to the Brazilian police and defiled property - and officials have stated ~ Lochte and others were just boys being boys. Whoa. Something is wrong here.

And now of note, with the Ryan Lochte / US Swimming alleged scandal gaining a lot of traction on the Internet, it has been pointed out by many there is a double standard going on. Gabby - she doesn't have her hand over her heart/doesn't cheer enough, and she is put through the ringer and very harshly criticized. Ryan Lochte - details are starting to emerge but he very well may have lied to the Brazilian police and defiled property - and officials have stated ~ Lochte and others were just boys being boys. Whoa. Something is wrong here.
Wow, shockingly sad. Isn't Lochte in his 30s!

This was the point I was trying to make. I was horrified of the nastiness of the backlash on social media, things being said that you would not want said to your own child. However, I thought that her composure after the backlash was mature. You saw that she still attended the other event finals with her teammates and supported them. She didn't hop on a flight out of Rio. She stayed and fulfilled her commitments to USAG. Better than what we saw from Lochte, that's for sure.

Watched the medal ceremony for the 3 (female) USA hurdlers who went 1-2-3. No one has their hands over their hearts. Haven't seen that anyone has made an issue of it yet either.

And you probably won't because they were clearly following what they have been told to do and looked very nice standing attentive. As a side note, that was one of the best moments for me, USA Gold, Silver, Bronze and the ladies were so happy and excited for themselves and each other. If you watch other track & field ceremonies they all do the exact same thing. The gymnasts clearly had been told to put their hand over their heart but Gabby didn't and she stood with her knee cocked rather than at attention. It's really that simple and it's fine if you or others don't see anything wrong with it. Many did though and that's ok also. Gabby just doesn't shine in the spotlight like the other gymnasts. She appears distracted or uncomfortable or something else. It's a problem for her and her sponsors and I find it very interesting how strongly people are defending her.

This was the point I was trying to make. I was horrified of the nastiness of the backlash on social media, things being said that you would not want said to your own child. However, I thought that her composure after the backlash was mature. You saw that she still attended the other event finals with her teammates and supported them. She didn't hop on a flight out of Rio. She stayed and fulfilled her commitments to USAG. Better than what we saw from Lochte, that's for sure.

So she gets credit for fulfilling her commitment, that's a pretty low standard in my world, but to each their own. Swimming was finished when Locte left. And to say she was better than Locte is again about the lowest standard you can find for an Olympic athlete. He disgraced his country on an international stage. He's 32 and appears to have the judgement of a middle school boy.

Exactly! Yes, the outrage for the four swimmers is growing and steep. It is not excused as boys being boys, not by anyone I know.

However, that does not mean that criticism of Gabby's behavior is wrong. She admitted she did not show support for her teammates. I just watched a solo interview with Madison. She was sweet. When asked about her teammates, she describes personal attributes of Aly, Simone and Laurie. Their kindness, etc. when describing Gabby, she mentioned accomplishments. It was subtle, but Gabby is clearly not as friendly and supportive as the others.

Also, I don't follow track, I don't write on track message boards it's nice they won but it's not my sport so I'm not critiquing their behavior. I have used the behavior of Ryan as an example to kids of what not to do.

It's really that simple and it's fine if you or others don't see anything wrong with it. Many did though and that's ok also. Gabby just doesn't shine in the spotlight like the other gymnasts. She appears distracted or uncomfortable or something else. It's a problem for her and her sponsors and I find it very interesting how strongly people are defending her.

People are defending her because of the truly awful (and not repeatable on this board) things that were being said about Gabby on social media. Again, people will have their criticisms. I get that people see behavior of someone they like/don't like differently. Where I draw a big bright line is when those anonymous people on social media are posting things that are nasty and vile. That will always be unacceptable to me. There is no justification for that at all.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back