Parents Gatlinburg Meet Report – It will be known to us as GatlinBAD

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

This years Gatlinburg meet will be one that we never forget and for all the wrong reasons. I am so glad I have a sense of humor and don’t take things too seriously. :eek:

We are in South Carolina and this meet is in Tennessee. This trip is normally about 4 hours but due to a rockslide months ago, a major section of interstate is closed through the mountains, meaning the trip will be at least 5 hours due to the necessary detour. Well, we rarely get snow, but a freak snowstorm comes through our area starting about 2 hours before we got on the road Friday afternoon. Snow never comes down this fast here and in 2 hours the roads are covered. We decide to go ahead figuring the main roads would not be too bad. They were definitely getting bad, but we were getting close to the interstate so we decide to keep going. After being parked on the interstate for 2 hours at one point, we finally arrived in Gatlinburg around 2 AM after 8.5 hours of traveling. Lilly did not have to compete until Monday morning so we had plenty of time to rest and relax over the weekend.

Start time was Monday at 8AM and we are not morning people. Due to the fact that it is snowing in TN and we are about 20 minutes from the Convention Center, we leave extra early to ensure plenty of time. Lil started this meet on bars and it seemed like there was a timing issue for their warm up on bars because our girls barely made it through 1 touch and they normally have time for 2-3 turns each. Not a great routine for Lil but it was okay and scored a 9.050. Beam… ugh… foot down on her first turn and fell after her leap… she finished the routine nicely but did not hold her scale long enough – scored an 8.4. Definitely not on track for a great meet, but next is floor and vault so what could go wrong right :rolleyes:? OMG… floor – at this point you just have to laugh. She starts her routine and does the hop to the side then split jump, split jump (what happened to stretch jump, split jump?) :eek: – yikes… and then, as if that wasn’t bad enough, she does her bridge and just falls over. She hasn’t done that since she was like 5 years old! She stood up very composed and did a beautiful rest of the routine but needless to say, by that point floor was a lost cause. She scored a 7.5 – wow! Hasn’t pulled a score like that since her very first meet as a L4. Thank goodness, there was no vault drama and she did a good 1st vault, which scored a 9.2.

I was very proud that she did not get upset, not a singe tear or grumpy attitude. I am so glad that I have drilled into her head that everyone has a bad day and to not get upset over a bad meet, because that is exactly how she handled herself. She was almost too good (ie. nonchalant) about it – LOL.

With 9 girls in her age group, she got the following for awards:

VT: 9.2 – 3rd Place
UB: 9.050 – 1st Place
BB: 8.4 – 4th Place
FX: 7.5 – 8th Place
AA: 34.15 – 4th Place

Irony… I’m thinking NOT, the tape ran out on the video camera, so I think we will just skip the montage for this meet – LOL.

Hoping for a more ‘normal’ performance at our next meet in 2 weeks…

You have to laugh sometimes don't you. Even with all that Lilly still finished 4th. Good for her. On to the next one! Hope your trip home was slightly quicker and safer!

Hi. I am new to CB (this is only my 2nd post) but I wanted to tell you that I like your attitude and it was refreshing to read how you dealt with the meet . I am sorry it was "one of those meets" but they do happen and will happen to all of us at some point. What is important is how it's dealt with & you all did well, kept it in perspective, and have already put it behind you. Good Luck the rest of the season. :)

Sounds like Juju had a meet like my DD did, same score and AA placement, too, LOL. Glad Juju took it better than mine, she was NOT happy to have gotten a 7 on something because she thinks 2nd year level 4s shouldn't get 7s???. She is fine now and got over it quickly, but still. She fell on beam, too, but she wasn't upset at all about that, just vault. She was fine at the meet, it was at home when she was really tired, so who knows how much was just DRAMA.

Hoping both our girls can have their "normal" meets at their next meets. :D We could use some vault fairies though. Ever since the vault issue at the meet, she is having issues with it at practice, too. Would like her to get her confidence back on that.

All in all not too horrid. I thought the warm-ups were a little odd in our session as well. And the scores Lil got I think she handled it all admirably.

Though I have to say that Gatlinburg was one of those meets for us too.

How did you like how the road out told you to move to the right for the lane closure 3 miles before the actual closure.

My goodness what an adventurous weekend you had. First that nightmare drive and then a meet that makes you giggle. They all have their off days and this was heres, mind you if 4th AA is an off that isn't bad is it?

Congrats to you both on keeping your cool and not lauughing yourselves silly!!!

Oh my! Bless her little heart!!

She has such a great attitute. That will certainly carry her far in this sport. There are some girls on Pixie's team that get really bent out of shape and I feel for them. I've tried to instill in Pixie that she needs to be a gracious winner and just as gracious in the not so good meets.

When she first strted competing L4 I showed her a video that I found on youtube that showed all the great ones having bad meets. I think it really impressed her that even Shawn & Nastia fall every once in a while. So when it happens to her she takes it in stride knowing there will be a next meet to kick bootie in.

It seems like Lilly understand this too. I personally feel that this type of attitute will benefit them in the long run.

As for the meet, she still did wonderful for such wild things happeneing to her! 4th place AA considering the adventure she had just shows how strong she is in all of her events. Good for you, Lilly!

And good for you, mom, for being a great role model.

I'm sending hugs to you both :)

Seems like quite a few CBers had "one of those meets" this past weekend. Lily had a great attitude about it!
I love the "GatlinBAD." How funny! :) The driving experience must have been awful. Thank God you left really early.

I'm sorry the meet was so crazy for you. We didn't go, but I had close friends there, and I got to hear about what a crazy drive it was. Like others have said, if 4thAA was a bad meet for her, that's pretty good! My DD has been out with a foot injury, but will be doing Gamecock Invite. It will be her 1st meet back. Are you doing that meet?

...Gamecock Invite. It will be her 1st meet back. Are you doing that meet?

Yes we are doing that meet along with many other CB members. Lil competes Sunday morning at 8AM.

What level is your DD? When will you be there? Glad to hear that the injury is healed to the point where your DD can compete again. Lots of good luck fairies for the competition!

My DD is a L4 and she is also Sun at 8AM. But there are two level 4 sessions at 8, so I don't know if we will be in the same one. It's nice to know there will be fellow CBers there!

Hey, everyone has a bad meet--heck, that wasn't even bad, bad LOL! Hope the drive home wasn't awful.

LOL a bad meet for JuJu is a good meet for my DD...:D:p:D 4th place AA is a season high for my DD!

But seriously, we have all had one (or many) of "those" meets. The important part is how you deal with it and you are dealing with it the right way!!

We have also had to take that "detour" on I-40!!:(:(:( What a BUMMER!

We will be at Gamecock Sunday at 8am, too! :) Hope it is not one of "those" meets for any of us!!!!;) Good luck to JuJu next Sunday!

Good luck to all three of your DD's at the Gamecock! We are not until 2:30, so I don't know if we will get there early enough to see your DD's perform.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back