G'Day from Australia

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

W

Wally

Hi all. I think learning to use this site is as big a challenge as returning to Gymnastics coaching after a nineteen year break so I hope this intoduction get through ok. I'm an Australian Womens' Gymnastics Coach who, like so many other parents/grandparents no doubt, has never done gymnastics but volunteers to help out for the sake of their kids and then get hooked. Before I left coaching 19 years ago I was coaching at a reasonably high competitive level and I put that down to a high expectation rather than strong gymnastics brain. Then as it is now I do much by trial & error (and that's ok) but never being a gymnast I can always tell what I see but not what they should be feeling. That is the main reason why I joined this group. Gymnasts and exgymnasts coaches may be able to fill in these gaps for me. The biomechanics are not usually the issue for, although I have forgotten more than I remember after such a long break from the sport I was/am so passionate about. I find that I can see things well & work out drills etc but simple things others take for granted I find hard to explain because I have never actually experienced it. eg How do other coaches explain the feeling of strong shoulder rise in the snap down/under section of a roundoff or bh spring?

Anyway hope to hear from many of you in the future.

Wally

Hey Wally, welcome to the Chalkbucket. We have a great community of coaches here who love to help each other. Join the coaches groups through your "user CP' on the top left and then ask away.

We have a couple of Australian and NZ coaches here who may be a great help to you. Off the top of my head Aussiecoach and Valentin are down under too and will be a great help.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll join the coaches group straight away.

Welcome to the board! Always nice to add another gymnastics enthusiast to the board! I'm not a coach, just a mom of a 10 year old gymmie.

I just wanted to add to Bog's post to let you know that if you're seeking opinions from gymmies and parents as well, feel free to post in the Q&A section, or the Chalk Bucket forum. You'll find a lot of advice, encouragement and expertise here!

Looking forward to your involvement!

Now I often don't see the milk in the fridge, or where matching socks are so don't be surprised if I can't find the Q&A section straight away. I certainly love the idea of having a whole world of gymnastics entusiatics to talk over things with.

My mother in law has just returned from 21 days being a tourist in Canada. Loved every bit of it so I have been told. Can't wait to do likewise.
Wal.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back