WAG Geinger

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Can a gymnast learn to catch a geinger without ever being spotted?
Absolutely. You need to have some good drills and stations, but a spot isn't necessary. I prefer a combination of all three, but the reality of the situation is that with some of the older girls it is physically difficult to spot them 100% like you can with the vertically challenged ones. I still believe as they progress and work towards getting closer and trying to actually catch, a coach should be there for a safety spot. Not so much to ensure that they catch, but in the event they're too close you can push them safely away from the bar. Hope that helps.

Absolutely. You need to have some good drills and stations, but a spot isn't necessary. I prefer a combination of all three, but the reality of the situation is that with some of the older girls it is physically difficult to spot them 100% like you can with the vertically challenged ones. I still believe as they progress and work towards getting closer and trying to actually catch, a coach should be there for a safety spot. Not so much to ensure that they catch, but in the event they're too close you can push them safely away from the bar. Hope that helps.
Sage wisdom. I am living this currently. I have a Level 9 gymnast learning a geinger. She is nearly 5'8" tall and working the drills. Learning to fall with appropriate matting, learning the technique and working smart attempts all without "full spoting." I do "spot" or guide falls to be safe and guide the smart attempts to keep appropriate distance and rotation without carrying the skill.

Short Balding Guy (5'3") Eric -

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back