Coaches General Warmups at Meets

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

saddlupasb

Coach
Proud Parent
Judge
I was just curious to see what everyone does for Meet warmup. Do you use the same one each meet? Do you change it based on the space you have available to warm up? Does every Level on your team do the same warmup but modified for that Level? Do you do Active flex or Static flex or a combo?

Same warm up, but when we do line drills obviously that is centered around the level and then the last 4 minutes are designated for the first event. Example, beam 1st, then series etc.. vault 1st, running drills, punching on board (until they tell us to stop). :) etc...

Same as coachp, I found it to be more calming for the girls to have a routine to go through.
If by flex you mean stretching, I use mostly dynamic stretching at meets as it doesn't seem to affect muscles that much, I only let them hold splits. I do the combo of both dynamic and static for flexibility training, but of course that's just my theory. The official scientific theories on the field of flexibility training efficiency seem to change every two years or so. ;)

We do the same warm up every meet (level 3&4). I've found that the routine helps calm nerves and it gives them a familiar thing to focus on. We also do this warm up in the gym once a week, and I revise it as needed.

We do the same warm-up at every meet. I usually change it around a little bit from season to season and sometimes even during the season if I'm not happy with it.

We have a set warm-up routine that lasts for about 15 min. If the general warm-up at a meet is longer than that, I have the girls do line-drills, beam routines, floor dance and basic tumbling too.

Every exercise is done in such a way that you can use an 8-count rhythm and the running drills are done 8 times each or down the length of the floor (whichever makes more sense). The warm-up is choreographed so that the girls always know how to move from one exercise to another and they don't just change positions. Also, there are exercises that just focurs on form (drills for arm/hand form and position and foot form) in there.

First we do running drills with arm circles, chassés, high knees, and some jumping drills.
Then we move to stationary exercises that use a combination of active flexibility and passive flexibility. We do leg swings in all directions (some drills lieing on their backs or sides and some drills standing up), some active shoulder flex and some passive, warm up wrists and feet/achilles, do some core conditioning (mostly holding shapes) and finally move to handstands (drills and holds).

edited to add: During off-season I have them do the meet warm-up once a week but before the first meet I have them do it more often in order for them to get more confident with it.

The biggest problem I have is getting 20+ girls a session to have enough room to do anything. And I hate using only static stretching.

Anything to get them moving and loosened up physically...... and mentally. The last few minutes are spent copying coachp's kids.:D:D

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back