Coaches Getting back into coaching

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymOwl

Coach
Gymnast
Hey all! As the title says, I've been wanting to get back into coaching again.

I'm 18, and did gymnastics for 7 years. I was a level 7 and training level 8 up until 2021.

I have some experience in coaching, as I did work with preschool, rec, and team levels 4 and 5 for almost a year also back in 2021 until the gym closed down.

Since then I've about thinking about getting back into coaching, and am currently looking at some local gyms.

Now this is gonna sound silly but my only fear is that I haven't coached in so long and I'm a bit worried that I won't "remember" how to coach. I know I won't be tossed in the deep end as soon as I start, so I'm just looking for some advice.

Just do it… it’s fun. No advice… been coaching 25+ years now… I like it.

Now this is gonna sound silly but my only fear is that I haven't coached in so long and I'm a bit worried that I won't "remember" how to coach.

My job is very different than it used to be… head coach now… I actually coach the athletes less than I used to… coaches the coaches more. Sometimes I’m worried I can’t work with the little ones anymore… not fun enough. Then about 30 seconds into it… I totally forget about that as I’m having so much fun coaching them. Don’t worry… just do.

I know at our gym, even if you've coached before, you spend some time shadowing classes to get a feel for how we run our program. As you get more comfortable, you spot a station, lead an event, and then eventually lead the class but still have a coach with you. Then when you are ready, you start coaching your own classes. I'm sure most gyms have at least some kind of training like that too.

I know at our gym, even if you've coached before, you spend some time shadowing classes to get a feel for how we run our program. As you get more comfortable, you spot a station, lead an event, and then eventually lead the class but still have a coach with you. Then when you are ready, you start coaching your own classes. I'm sure most gyms have at least some kind of training like that too.
I believe that's what I did at my old gym, I'll have to call a few gyms and get in touch! Thank you so much!

My job is very different than it used to be… head coach now… I actually coach the athletes less than I used to… coaches the coaches more. Sometimes I’m worried I can’t work with the little ones anymore… not fun enough. Then about 30 seconds into it… I totally forget about that as I’m having so much fun coaching them. Don’t worry… just do.
Thank you so much! That was also my concern too when I first started. As silly as it sounds I felt so intimidated by the younger kids I wasn't sure how I was going to make sure there'd be no chaos but after like 5 minutes I totally forgot why I was even worried in the first place lol.

I always encourage kids to find a HS program or small club to work with first. You'll encounter a wide variety of skill levels, and will typically be entrusted with spotting bigger skills faster than you would in a bigger club (your skills will move up with the kids-whereas in a big club, you're more likely to be working with certain levels and the kids will keep moving up while you stay put) I love when my former gymnasts come back in the summer and work on spotting skills. Then, when they knock on the door of a club and tell them they can spot a full, they get moved to the front of the line.

Now this is gonna sound silly but my only fear is that I haven't coached in so long and I'm a bit worried that I won't "remember" how to coach. I know I won't be tossed in the deep end as soon as I start, so I'm just looking for some advice.

The mindset and the energy are what's important, and if you've had them before they'll come back pretty much instantly.

Hello! Sorry for the late response (I am new to this forum). I was in a similar situation a few months ago. I did gymnastics for 15 years, coached a little on the side, and then took a break...for 10 years. Recently, after a serendipitous chain of events, I applied to a local gym as a recreational coach. Stepping foot in a gym after such a long time was SURREAL. I had to refresh my memory on a lot of things: skill progression, spotting, curriculum, etc.. But after a month or two of shadowing coaches and teaching classes, I now feel very much at home.

Turns out, I never forgot how to coach. All my domain expertise was buried away, but not forgotten.

Good luck in your coaching journey!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back