Getting Better help with skills and drills

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Jasmynn

Coach
Proud Parent
I was just thinking,:scratchchin: if you guys who need help with certain skills, I would maybe take a short video with a digital camera or camcorder and post it here, maybe some of the professionals can see what you're doing wrong. I just thought about that. I think I'll video my daughter's weak areas and maybe it will be easier for them to give us advice b/c they can actually see what we're doing wrong. What do you guys think? :beam:

I think that is a great idea. Most of the coaches always say that they can't give advice as well as they could if they had a video. Good luck

I think it's a great idea as well, except you want to be careful not to undermine the gymnast's coach(es). I know that I love to help gymnasts with their skills, but sometimes different coaches have a different way that they like things done. For example, at my gym, we teach full twist without an arm pull. The idea is that if the girl can do the full without using the arm pull, then adding extra twists beyond that becomes much easier and it forces the gymnast to use correct body position. Most other coaches will teach an arm pull with the second half and many will teach it with the first half. I'm sure that we're happy to look at the video and offer suggestions, but just remember to defer to your own coach! :)

I understand exactly what your saying, but if you're asking questions anyway, which is what many of these posts are (questions about help with techniques), the coach must not be very much help anyway,:pessimist: and if they are, sometimes it doesn't help to have a second opinion if the first one isn't working. For example, my daughter could not get her handstand (not a long one). After reading some of the posts on this board, I learned this technique.
1st stand up straight and lean forward with your knees straight without falling.
2nd lean backwards without falling.
The way that your toes dig into the ground to keep you from falling forward and your heels to keep you from falling backwards is the same with your hands in a handstand. Along with a tight body.
After explaining that to my daughter, she can now do a very long handstand. So a BIG thanks to the coach who posted that.:applause: I wanted to go back and say thankyou, but couldn't find the post. :confused:Although this didn't need a video, some people are doing things wrong and that's why they cannot get the skill down, so a video clip would help the coaches here see mistakes.

Actually, I always thought it would be interesting to have video's posted with kids doing a variety of skills so that coaches could analyse the errors and suggest a variety of drills etc. to improve the skills.

Just thought it would make for some interesting discussions and ideas.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back