Parents Getting discouraged

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Pirouette

Proud Parent
They've been out of gym for over 21 weeks. 21 weeks!! Here in Michigan, gymnastics facilities are still not allowed to open. DD17 has been doing outdoor conditioning for a couple of months with her team, but it just isn't the same. This is her senior year. School just went remote. XC season a big question mark. No spring track season, so no pole vault. She continues to work hard at what she has available, but it's so discouraging to be hit with loss after loss.

We appreciate good health, a strong family bond, and DH being employed (although with a significant pay cut). Guess I just needed to vent. Trying to keep a positive attitude so the kids stay positive, but it gets harder every day.

That is really hard and I am very sorry for you and your family. It is good you ended on the positive things. If my child were a senior and there was no hope of things getting back to normal I would encourage her to take a year off before college. At least with gymnastics I think she can still compete. With pole vault there might be some local youth teams she could join and still compete. Does she want to do college sports? As a former track and field athlete there are a lot more spots for track athletes than gymnasts, and I would say if she is even half way decent in pole vault that is a great sport for her to be involved. I know this doesn't fix this year which is a mess but it does help to have something to look forward to. Also in a year off she could take some courses somewhere perhaps local university/community college and figure out what major she wants before going to college?? Perhaps work? Anyway there are options, just not the normal ones. Good luck and keep staying positive in some small way. It is the only thing we can still do in this mess.

That is very tough! We’ve been open for team practices since mid-June and though they look different than typical summer training we’re grateful for that much! We’ve had no COVID cases at our gym, which offers some assurance that the precautions with distancing, cleaning, masks etc. are effective. I hope yours opens soon!!

They've been out of gym for over 21 weeks. 21 weeks!! Here in Michigan, gymnastics facilities are still not allowed to open. DD17 has been doing outdoor conditioning for a couple of months with her team, but it just isn't the same. This is her senior year. School just went remote. XC season a big question mark. No spring track season, so no pole vault. She continues to work hard at what she has available, but it's so discouraging to be hit with loss after loss.

We appreciate good health, a strong family bond, and DH being employed (although with a significant pay cut). Guess I just needed to vent. Trying to keep a positive attitude so the kids stay positive, but it gets harder every day.

Closed 150 Days...it's insane :(

Wow, 21 weeks, that is such a challenge! I am also assuming you have not been given any type of date, when things may start to look slightly normal again.

I'm sorry. That is a really long time and I feel your pain and frustration. Your daughter is such a high level too. That truly stinks.

I feel like when my kids went back to swim (outdoors) and gymnastics, covid life became much more bearable and happier for everyone. I really hope you get to go back soon. Is it possible to arrange for private lessons? Conditioning gets old, kids need to have fun in their sport to make it worthwhile.

I’m so sorry for your daughter and all the other gymnasts in your state. That’s an awfully big pill to swallow. My daughter is at flip fest this week and has a couple girls from Michigan in her cabin. I encouraged her to be extra supportive of them, as this is likely their first time in a gym since March and maybe only time they’ll have for awhile. She was appalled and devastated on their behalf. As a senior, your daughter is losing out on even more than most. There are absolutely good things to still look forward to and alternate paths that may turn out to be wonderful surprises - but I don’t blame you for feeling discouraged and disappointed for her nonetheless.

Wow, 21 weeks, that is such a challenge! I am also assuming you have not been given any type of date, when things may start to look slightly normal again.

That is correct. No idea when they can return. There is currently a Twitter campaign by a dedicated group of gymnastics supporters in Michigan that is aimed at convincing the governor to take a closer look at gymnastics and how it can be done safely. It started Thursday. We'll see how it works out. Apparently, a similar campaign was used in New Jersey and seemed to help their efforts to return to gym.

Thanks for the support. I know you all understand more than the average person!

I just learned that one of our smaller local gyms had to close. Some of the girls are coming over to our team, but I am pretty sure we could not take all of them. I feel really bad for the families that have to now find a new gym with all this Covid stuff to deal with too. Now you have to expose yourself and your child to a whole new "bubble" of people and hopefully not get sick. No one from our gym has reported being sick yet but this week they open some rec classes 3 days a week. Hopefully they will not be too crowded and hopefully everyone will find a new home they can fit in with. We don't have that many gyms in our area so I can't imagine having to decide a new gym right now.

I expect this will have quite a damaging affect on the gyms too. Having no income for such a long time is bound to costs your state many of their gyms.

Hopefully it will at least put creep Geddert and his wife out of business ... seeing as USAG seemed to give them a pass on the whole Nassar issue.
I do feel for the gymnasts in Michigan as a whole ...but he (and his wife as fruit of the poisoned tree) is one who should never be allowed to make another penny from the sport ... and should be headed for jail like Klages .

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back