Parents Getting Evaluated at another Gym

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

NY Dad

Proud Parent
I’ve posted on another thread that my dd is currently level 2 and was recently evaluated for level 3. We’re expecting to find out by the end of the month. Her gym does not offer regular summer training but instead 7 optional weekly clinics. First one starts Jun 26, last one ends Aug 11. She’s going to 4 of these plus 2 weeks of IGC camp in the middle. Her gym doesn’t offer anything between Aug 12 and after Labor Day (approx. Sep 5?) when I assume regular classes probably start up again.

There’s another gym in the area that has team camp through the end of Aug. I called them anonymously and asked about participation in their weekly team camp. They said she would need to be evaluated by practicing with the team in one of the three remaining practices (the last one is a week from today).

I was hoping that we would know what happens with my dd’s evaluation before worrying about this but I don’t want her to miss out on practicing for the last month of the summer.

I’m not sure what to do. Have her attend a level 3 practice with another gym to be evaluated for their team summer camp? Tell her current gym?

I don’t want merely asking about it to influence the decision about whether or not she will make the team. I’ve also heard about situations where both gyms decide the kid can't go there anymore so she would be without a gym. (My heart is racing just writing this LOL)

Thanks

If you take her to be evaluated and you both like the gym, you should be prepared to move her. I definitely wouldn't consider doing the team camp at the other gym with the intention of going back to your gym after summer. That will not end well. Are there no gyms in your area that just train all year long like most gyms do?? That just sounds so strange to me!!

Yeah, I don't know your area, and the whole 'camps only' in summer sure seems odd, but...

Would you be planning a possible 'switch' to the gym with the August camp? If so, then go to the tryout, and switch if happy. Do not tell current gym.

Or were you just looking for another camp to fill August and nothing else is around, but you really want to stay at Current Gym? In that case, ask current Gym if the other gym camp is a viable option to fill the month of August. Respect their answer.

I’ve posted on another thread that my dd is currently level 2 and was recently evaluated for level 3. We’re expecting to find out by the end of the month. Her gym does not offer regular summer training but instead 7 optional weekly clinics. First one starts Jun 26, last one ends Aug 11. She’s going to 4 of these plus 2 weeks of IGC camp in the middle. Her gym doesn’t offer anything between Aug 12 and after Labor Day (approx. Sep 5?) when I assume regular classes probably start up again.

There’s another gym in the area that has team camp through the end of Aug. I called them anonymously and asked about participation in their weekly team camp. They said she would need to be evaluated by practicing with the team in one of the three remaining practices (the last one is a week from today).

I was hoping that we would know what happens with my dd’s evaluation before worrying about this but I don’t want her to miss out on practicing for the last month of the summer.

I’m not sure what to do. Have her attend a level 3 practice with another gym to be evaluated for their team summer camp? Tell her current gym?

I don’t want merely asking about it to influence the decision about whether or not she will make the team. I’ve also heard about situations where both gyms decide the kid can't go there anymore so she would be without a gym. (My heart is racing just writing this LOL)

Thanks

I can't imagine training at a gym that only offers optional practices during the summer. It is going to be extremely difficult to eventually move out of compulsories to optionals with that kind of training schedule. The summers are for serious training to be prepared for the next season. I would bet that your DD's competitors are all training this summer with a regular/required schedule. This seems very unfair to your dd's team members.

Be cautious about training at another gym! It could end badly!

I'm in agreement with the above. I'm so surprised about your gym's summer schedule! All team girls at our gym do MORE hours during the summer, not less and certainly not optional! I'd ask your current gym if it would be ok for her to fill her summer with other gyms' camps and if they say no then honestly I'd be looking to switch anyway.

And maybe it's time to think about what you and she want out of gym. Without knowing specifics, it sounds as if your gym may not be as competitive as some gyms that train all year long? It's obviously not all about winning, but for us, we chose a gym that would give DD the chance to be the best gymnast she can be and progress to upper levels if that is something that ends up happening. To me, if she has the desire and puts in the work, I would rather my daughter be somewhere that can help her develop...does that make sense? I'm not saying your gym can't do that, it just seems a bit unorthodox and I have a hard time imagine upper level optionals who don't train all summer.

Is the weird summer thing for L2/3 only? Or is that all levels? Do other local gyms train the same type of summer schedule? I don't see how the upper levels take all that time off every year.

I would expect that if your gym hears about the second gym they will not be happy. They also probably won't appreciate the convo before you do anything either (a gym parent's catch 22). Are there other big (like Woodward or a college) summer camps that she could attend to use the time?

Reactions: sce
Her gym does not offer regular summer training but instead 7 optional weekly clinics. ast one is a week from today).

Ok so your gym actually does train in the summer. For 7 of the traditional 10 weeks of summer vacation. They just structure it differently, but that is summer training. That is very different from no training.

So the gymmie can train and have some down time and a vacation. Awesome.

That said she is a young Level 2/3. Go have her evaluated. Don't tell the gym she is at. And take it from there. Really it's not that complex at this point.

Yeah, I don't know your area, and the whole 'camps only' in summer sure seems odd, but...

Would you be planning a possible 'switch' to the gym with the August camp? If so, then go to the tryout, and switch if happy. Do not tell current gym.

Or were you just looking for another camp to fill August and nothing else is around, but you really want to stay at Current Gym? In that case, ask current Gym if the other gym camp is a viable option to fill the month of August. Respect their answer.

I agree on both points with Sasha.

The optional training clinics is kind of weird and I would want to know if this occurs in the upper levels as well. Our gym took off 2 weeks one year to renovate and it was tough for many of the girls to come back - not for strength and forgetting skills but for fear issues (levels 8-10). I can't imagine 3 full weeks at the upper levels. And if your compulsory runs in the fall, it just seems like an odd time to take such a long break. I would also want to know if there are other long breaks (like Winter holidays)

Does your gym compete level 3 in the fall? If so then I agree with other posters it does seem strange that the current gym would offer so much potential time off over the summer by making practice optional and closing the final weeks.

If they don't compete until L4 and the optional practice rule doesn't apply to the competitive group then maybe they figure there's not as much risk to giving the kids the time off.

Its a Y. Sounds like they practice along the lines of raendrops Y, in fact with 7 weeks, maybe more.

See her post here https://www.chalkbucket.com/forums/threads/move-ups.59653/page-6#post-515172

Again, there is summer practice. 7 weeks of it.
And who said the 3 weeks are consecutive???

Kids take vacation. Kids have time off for injuries... The OPs daughter was out for weeks with an injury..............

And this is Level 2/3. 7 weeks of training is being offered................ and is great at that level.

@Deleted member 18037 I think the time offered is fine as long as neither NY Dad or his daughter expects to be at a competitive gymnastics program as many of us would understand 'competitive gymnastics'. From what I've been able to piece together from NY Dad's posts, it sounds like his daughter is registered in a advanced recreational gymnastics program...training at a level where a parent can't just call and register the child without coach input (due to the skill level necessary), but not at the level many of us would think of as 'team'. Our gym has beginner's gymnastics which anyone can sign up for, but to advance past that level - it is by invitation/coach decision only. Pre-team is a totally different stream of children, though there is occasional overlap.

The summer clinics offered sound like they could be more intensive training...or they could be a part day summer camp type program where gymnastics is stressed, but won't progress the gymnasts as far as team training usually does at a more competitive club (I know the Y near us does programming like that, and it is well done and very popular).

All of this can be wonderful and appropriate...but only if that is the type of gymnastic program NY Dad wants for his daughter. If NY Dad is thinking he wants his daughter to have the option to move to optionals/upper optionals - this program may or may not be geared toward getting any gymnast to that point. If he wants his daughter to compete and be competitive outside of smaller meets, this may or may not be the program geared toward that goal.

The way NY Dad's gym seems to work is different than any I have experience with (our Y programs are clearly beginner to intermediate rec - there are some Y club meets, but very few Y programs around us compete regularly against private club teams). I think many who have questioned the difference we see between NY Dad's programs and the ones we are familiar with are trying to make sure that NY Dad (and his daughter) figure out what they want and make sure their program can get them there...or figure out a new plan. I know I'm not trying to 'judge' his gym...just trying to figure out what it offers and if that matches what this family wants.

@Deleted member 18037 I think the time offered is fine as long as neither NY Dad or his daughter expects to be at a competitive gymnastics program as many of us would understand 'competitive gymnastics'. From what I've been able to piece together from NY Dad's posts, it sounds like his daughter is registered in a advanced recreational gymnastics program...training at a level where a parent can't just call and register the child without coach input (due to the skill level necessary), but not at the level many of us would think of as 'team'. Our gym has beginner's gymnastics which anyone can sign up for, but to advance past that level - it is by invitation/coach decision only. Pre-team is a totally different stream of children, though there is occasional overlap.

The summer clinics offered sound like they could be more intensive training...or they could be a part day summer camp type program where gymnastics is stressed, but won't progress the gymnasts as far as team training usually does at a more competitive club (I know the Y near us does programming like that, and it is well done and very popular).

All of this can be wonderful and appropriate...but only if that is the type of gymnastic program NY Dad wants for his daughter. If NY Dad is thinking he wants his daughter to have the option to move to optionals/upper optionals - this program may or may not be geared toward getting any gymnast to that point. If he wants his daughter to compete and be competitive outside of smaller meets, this may or may not be the program geared toward that goal.

The way NY Dad's gym seems to work is different than any I have experience with (our Y programs are clearly beginner to intermediate rec - there are some Y club meets, but very few Y programs around us compete regularly against private club teams). I think many who have questioned the difference we see between NY Dad's programs and the ones we are familiar with are trying to make sure that NY Dad (and his daughter) figure out what they want and make sure their program can get them there...or figure out a new plan. I know I'm not trying to 'judge' his gym...just trying to figure out what it offers and if that matches what this family wants.

The question is what does his daughter want...................

Really I am not for or against whatever NYDad wants. His child, his "stuff".

What it sounds like is a typical Y program which seems to give kids the ability to do gymnastics and do other things.

We, as in my kid really, are at a gym that is lower hours yet we still compete JO. Its not for everyone. But it works for kids who don't want high hours but still want to compete.
It works for many of us. My kid now a succesful L6 and uptraining would of been done long ago with the hours many gymmies do. We have a place that works for us.

Do our kids do as well as a kid being home schooled and doing gym for 25 hour a week? Mostly not but we have our moments :)

Again, not invested in what NYDads child does or does not do.

But his gym does in fact offer and have summer practice. There are 7 weeks they can take advantage of. To say they don't have a summer program is not quite the truth.

As far as looking at other gyms. This is L2/3. Have at it. Make the best decision for your kid and your family. Really there is nothing that is going to happen or not that is for "life".

If he wants more hours for his daughter the answer is simply find another gym.

And JMO, after following most of his posts, he really wants to move his kid, so go for it.................

Well my take on this is that she's level 2, maybe 3...isn't that what was formerly known as "preteam"? And if so, when my girls were on the preteam, we didn't really "do" the whole summer practice schedule thing , except for maybe a week or 2 of gymnastics camp....rest of the summer we had off to go to the pool or the beach or away.

At this age and level, and with what I know on how the hours will eventually ramp up, I say take the time off that they give you while you can!!! She'll be fine...no need to fill her schedule with other gym programs ...their little bodies need rest and relaxation and having summer fun!

What it boils down to is what do you want? What does your family need? If you are looking for something to keep your dd busy, and offer her low pressure, low hours, then it seems like you should stay put. If you are hoping for the opportunity to continue to advance in the crazy/fun sport, then you might need to start searching for another gym!
Things can move FAST in this sport. My dd went from lv 3 to lv 6 in 5 months. She's now training lv 9, in hopes for an opportunity to compete in college. That couldn't happen if we were at a gym that had a lax training schedule. Our journey isn't for everyone, ultimately you have to decide!

I would ask if people normally do anything between Aug 11 and Labor Day. Start there.

If you do a gymnastics camp then, which I think is not a terrible idea for one or two of the weeks, I would definitely try to have it not be one attached to another gym. There are gymnastics camps which are not year round gyms.

Otherwise maybe she can do a swim and dive team during that time because that will be similar strength and skills too.

When people talk about Y programs, they are referring to YMCA gymnastics programs.
NYDad's daughter is in a YWCA program. They do not have other YWCAs they go against. They compete against private clubs like most of y'all are with.

My Y takes a month off (July)... But it is really only 2 weeks if team chooses to come during rec camp (part of the reason we have the month off is because rec camp is the same time frame as team practice on the two weeks we have it... The other part is to keep our "sessions" in line with all other Y activities, so we take that session off).
When team comes during rec camp, the rec kids are in 3-4 groups and the team is not part of those groups. They work on the free equipment with a coach or two, depending on coach availability. Some years, we also have a week of team camp, which means only 1 week off, but up to 3 if you choose not to come to any of the rec camp. The county fair also happens in July... Near the gym... And it is a big deal. Many kids are involved in Fair Activities and overflow fair parking is in our parking lot, so practice would be ill-advised and not well attended.

As for NY Dad, I would want to know if these "clinics" are single day (my idea of a clinic) or a full week (more of a camp).

Thanks for all the replies. I can’t tell you how much I appreciate everyone that has taken the time to try to help me sort this out.

Right now I have no intention of moving my dd from her current gym (she's happy and doesn't want to switch). If she doesn’t make the team I/we will need to reevaluate. The week-long summer clinics at her gym are for level 2 going into level 3 (hopefully my dd) and below (including rec). I’m not sure about the upper levels but I assume they train year-round. I’m pretty sure her gym’s season starts in winter. There are other gyms in our area that train full year.

My responses below, sorry if this is repetitive.

I would ask if people normally do anything between Aug 11 and Labor Day. Start there.
Great plan. I don’t want to start the dialogue until I know if she made the team.

were you just looking for another camp to fill August and nothing else is around, but you really want to stay at Current Gym? In that case, ask current Gym if the other gym camp is a viable option to fill the month of August. Respect their answer.
We want to stay in our current gym. Hopefully we’ll find out about the team this week. This way I can ask and still potentially have time to get her evaluated for the other gym’s team clinics (assuming it’s okay with both gyms) for the last few weeks of summer.

Thank you so much for explaining this. I had heard many people on CB saying that these summer clinics/camps didn’t sound the same as normal team summer training but I didn’t fully understand the difference. This has helped me understand. These summer camps/clinics at her gym are full day and have plenty of gymnastics as well as other types of activities such as swimming and outdoor activities. They are open to rec and anyone up to those rising into level 3 (as I mentioned strongly recommended 3 weeks minimum for those moving into level 3). I’ve inferred is that those on pre-team and rising to level 3 will train separately but we haven’t explicitly been told this. At the other gym it’s called “team camp” so that might be more intensive. There’s no info about anything other than gymnastics.

Really it's not that complex at this point.
My concern is my current gym finding out (there are only a few gym options and from what I hear the coaches occasionally hop from gym to gym. I don’t want this to impact the decisions about my dd making the team.

after following most of his posts, he really wants to move his kid, so go for it.
You’re putting words in my mouth. I want to be prepared if she doesn’t make the team to move her. I really don’t want to move her (even if she doesn’t make it I may not move her).

Why not a move? Convenience, hours, other activities mixed with gymnastics? Just curious.........
No kid ever wants to move, but once they do it's like they forgot why they didn't want to go. If you want your DD on team, the sooner the better because the more time that goes by, the harder it is.

No kid ever wants to move, but once they do it's like they forgot why they didn't want to go. If you want your DD on team, the sooner the better because the more time that goes by, the harder it is.

Very true. My kid was hysterical the first week, we changed. She was swearing up and down that she was OK with never going to things like a birthday party again and giving up every Saturday afternoon. She got over it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back