Parents Getting Evaluated at another Gym

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

It really doesn't matter what team. What matters is that she will be able to compete and fulfill one of her dreams.
Yes and some of us feel like we missed a piece of the story.
Likethe last chapter was left out.

And of course nydad is a grown up, who is perfectly capable of taking care of himself. He could tell those of us who asked to go scratch. Certainly his right.

So really move on.

Reactions: sce
Yes and some of us feel like we missed a piece of the story.
Likethe last chapter was left out.

And of course nydad is a grown up, who is perfectly capable of taking care of himself. He could tell those of us who asked to go scratch. Certainly his right.

So really move on.

But it isn't required that we know everything. He shared what he felt comfortable sharing and the important parts. Most people don't share all the details of their lives on the internet or Chalkbucket. Plus, it is likely they don't know what level she will be after a short evaluation.

And it doesn't matter. Really. It shouldn't matter to you at all what level a stranger on the internet's dd is competing.

Congrats to your DD NYDad!

So many of us have been where you were (rejected or not believed in), and where you now are (accepted, valued, and excited for the future).

Good for you for helping your daughter pursue her dream of competing!!! Yay!!

Such an exciting update. Congratulations to your DD on reaching her goal and to you for this milestone in your gymnastics journey with her

Must have a little dust here too because this makes me so happy for your gymnast! When you find the right fit and someone who believes in your child the feeling is amazing. Congratulations to her!

Wow! I’m literally overwhelmed by all of the support. Thanks. You don’t know how much it means to me that there are so many CBers out there that are rooting for my dd.

what team did she make. JO, Xcel, IGC. And which probable level??? Really let out a huge part of the story.
Her level doesn’t matter to me and it turns out that it doesn’t matter to my dd either but I’m happy to share that she’s Copper 1 in USAIGC.

When she was at her old gym my dd wanted to be placed on the JO team (level 3). At the time I didn’t fully understand why it mattered so much to her. Now that I’ve seen what it’s like at another gym I feel like the JO team at her old gym was more than an aspirational group. From what I gather, the coach's focus/attention and also recognition at the gym all seemed to revolve around the JO team. I think that my dd thought that if she had been placed on the “other” team it would have meant that she wasn’t good enough for JO and that wasn’t something to be proud of. I personally didn’t even know what the other team track was until my dd received an invitation to be evaluated for team with a list of the placement possibilities.

A few weeks after being evaluated at her old gym we received an envelope from them. My dd excitedly/nervously asked me to read it to her. I did my best to hide my emotions as I read to her that she was placed in advanced rec (yes, from level 2 “pre-team” to advanced rec). This hadn’t even been listed as an option. She took the news much better than I would have but I knew that she was very disappointed. I literally didn’t know what to say. I had no words, just hugs.

This really turned out to be a blessing in disguise. I don’t think I would have questioned her coach and we wouldn't have found a new gym if she had made it onto one of the teams or possibly even if she had to repeat “pre-team” but was given an explanation of what specific skills or requirements were needed for her to make it onto one of the teams.

Her new gym doesn’t have a JO team. She is on her gym’s only team track. I believe this is the gym and the track that’s right for her. She hasn’t mentioned getting to level 3 since she started training at her new gym.

Here are some of the things that I hope she gets out of her first season on the team:
- Have fun and work hard (that what I always tell her before practice)
- To compete at a meet!
- For her to feel like she’s had a successful season while building more confidence, overcoming fears and gaining new skills with a coach that believes in her, regardless of the level.

Last edited:
Her level doesn’t matter to me and it turns out that it doesn’t matter to my dd either but I’m happy to share that she’s Copper 1 in USAIGC.

Thank you for sharing.

And while worlds won't happen this coming season. Because it's IGC. It certainly can be in the near future rather then way far off. Her goal just needs a very slight timeline adjustment.:)

Yeah that's true if one of her kid goals is workds she can do that with IGC, she might even make it this year! The qualifying score for copper 1 is 31 (I think). Congrats to her:)

The qualifying score for copper 1 is 31 (I think).
You're close! It was actually only 30.5 for Copper I this year, but they are increasing Bronze qualification scores by 0.5 for next season, so maybe they will for Copper too. So yes, totally obtainable!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back