WAG Getting involved in coaching

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

amgymnast618

Coach
Gymnast
At my gym, there's usually several optionals who work on Saturday mornings and occasional afternoons assisting with the preschool and rec classes. I'm going to be a senior and am not part of this group (although I am also an optional), but I'd like to be next year. I'm not exactly sure how to express that I'm interested in coaching at the gym or what to say, and I tend to be reluctant to approach people with questions. My main coach who I would normally talk to about this is away for most of the summer, and I am comfortable with the owners but am a bit intimidated by them. What should I do?

I would ask the owners, "Can I talk to you for a minute?" and then tell them you are interested in starting to coach. Ask if they are hiring and if they have a job application you can fill out.

They likely know you, and if your gym is like most gyms, they will be excited to have someone who has "grown up in the program" interested in coaching. You might be nervous to express your interest and ask the owners for a job application, but this is an important life skill.

I've recently become a coach. Here's what I said:

"Hi there, I would really like to get involved in gymnastics in other ways and I'd love to work here as a coach. Are you hiring, and what should I do to apply/qualify?"

It's that simple! Take a deep breath and just say it. They won't bite your head off, I promise :)

Our gym is always looking for new coaches, especially in the fall after all of the college kids have gone back to school. They are always willing (and prefer) to hire either current or former gymnasts. They are always sending out emails and info stating that they are hiring and all the kids have to do is fill out an application, have a quick interview and then let our hiring manager know what days they would be available and what levels that they would like to coach. My DD is only 11 but she is already asking when she can start coaching at our gym (I coach preschool classes there and she is allowed to help me with my classes, which she loves!!). I believe at our gym they will let you start coaching when you are 14 or 15.

I've recently become a coach. Here's what I said:

"Hi there, I would really like to get involved in gymnastics in other ways and I'd love to work here as a coach. Are you hiring, and what should I do to apply/qualify?"

It's that simple! Take a deep breath and just say it. They won't bite your head off, I promise :)

As someone who interviews and hires people regularly, i think this would impress me. I had a coach once, he was intense, he used to say learn to speak up or you will always come in last. You can do this. Simply walk up to the owner be confident and express your desires. The worst thing they can say is we have no openings at this time. But by being brave and confident the owners will remember your maturity and when the next position comes available you will be remembered.

I just want to say that the owners will probably be happy to hear that from you! Many gyms always need a few extra coaches, and clearly you know a thing or two about gymnastics already ;) Even if they don't have a spot for you right now, they might in the future.

If you are hesitant to walk right up to them you could also email them and request to schedule time for a quick meeting. That would help give you time to prepare and the opportunity to speak with them privately.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back