MAG Getting it all out

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

magmom

Proud Parent
So, I just posted a really snarky reply to someone who probably didn't deserve the whole of my wrath. It was sort of a release after a long build-up. So, if you all will allow me, I'd like to write a letter to some people I've never met...

Dear Couple from My Son's Meet,

My husband overheard you saying that the meet was "rigged" after my son and his teammates took 1st place team. I asked my husband if you were joking, but he said no..."They were completely serious." So, by "rigged" do you mean that they work hard, train more hours, and have awesome coaches? If so, then the answer is yes. But, if by "rigged" you mean "they cheated" then allow me to address that...

First of all, these are children! Level 4 boys! Why on Earth would anyone"rig" such a meet? I don't think my favorite bookie down the street would even take bets on it. What would be the point?

Secondly, these are children! As young as 6 years old! Every single one of their hearts would be broken if they knew that an actual adult was discounting all their hard work and accusing them of cheating. How would they even? So...

You must mean that an adult is at fault, somehow...

Our coaches? Well, our coaches are awesome. And I mean awesome. Tough? For sure. Fair? For sure. As long as a kid is willing to listen hard, work hard, and try hard, they're on the team. In fact, we have boys that are "too old" and "too tall" that other coaches might not take on. And they are rocking it! We don't have repeaters. We don't recruit from other gyms. So, who are you accusing of "rigging it", exactly?

The owner? The owner has nothing to do with anything. To a frustrating degree. Moving on...

The judges? I have heard (among other nasty rumors) that we have a local judge or two "in our pocket." So, you seriously think a judge is going to risk their reputation like that? I've looked at my son's teams' meet scores. They have had six meets this season; four local and two out-of-town. Their first and third highest team scores were out-of-town, where no local judges were in attendance. So, what do you have to accuse them of now?

My son and his teammates are the hardest working bunch of kids I've seen do anything, anywhere, at any time of my life. So, when I hear parents call "rigging" or "blatant favoritism" or "singling out" I am done. I'm done trying to ignore you, or calm you down.

Signed,
Magmom

Nope. I just don't roll that way. It's all good. I understand

That is the worst! Some people just can't accept that their kids aren't the best. I'm so sorry you had to go through that!

One meet, the top 3 all around got special trophies and the other places just got regular ones. I don't think they were actually that exciting but anyway I got 3rd place all around. At the next meet, a random lady from another team starts telling my mom that her daughter got 4th place all around at the last meet but she should have gotten 3rd and that some girl got overscored and got 3rd instead of her daughter and that this girl didn't deserve 3rd place and that her daughter should have gotten it.

My mom never told her that I was the girl who "got overscored and didn't deserve 3rd place." I only wish I was there when this took place because I would have had something to say to this lady!

Congratulations to your son and his teammates and best of luck to them in the future!

People just have trouble accepting that in competition someone has to win and others cannot. At my DD's comp last weekend one gym essential swept every top 3 medal, in every age group. On our way out my DD simply said, wow they are good- they must train a lot. The end. Why would she- or I- have animosity for kids who put so much out there and try so hard.

Just wish my boys had coaches that train them hard, work them more hours, all the stuff you talk about - but I suspect your boys are talented too - and that's great!!! Our boys consistently place 2-3rd when they have their Game On at meets - and the teams that ALWAYS beat them do it very legitimately!!! Good luck and enjoy the ride - my DD coach swore never to host a compulsory state meet again after the level 4 parents actually got in fist fights in the lobby over scoring! I realize I spend too much time on Chalk bucket, but the degree of CGParents you refer to is really sad....and mostly isolated....

people are stoooooooooooooopid. they're in every sport and every walk of life.

"when you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. it is difficult only for others.
it is the same when you are stupid.............." :)

people are stoooooooooooooopid. they're in every sport and every walk of life.

"when you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. it is difficult only for others.
it is the same when you are stupid.............." :)

Best comment of the day!

Very hard to fix stupid...or deal with it, but we all have to in one way or another. Just part of life,

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back