WAG Getting to attempt giants between the bars

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MBJ974

Coach
Proud Parent
My dd will compete level 7 for the first time in about six weeks. Her giant on bars looks great - straight arms/legs, good body position and a nice tap. However, she does miss it once out of about seven times. Her coach tells her that she needs to get it more consistently. Yesterday at practice she asked her coach if she could try her giant between the bars and he told her no. However, he did say that she could try a free hip handstand to giant. It only took her two trys before she accomplished this skill.

I would like to know how soon after a gymnasts perfects a giant on the pit bar, she gets to try it on the uneven bars?

Seems like my daughter worked them for a month or so before moving to the real bars. They still do them on the pit bar also though.

At my dd gym you have to have them pretty consistantly on pit bar plus be able to connect kip/cast/giant before you get to really try it on the full bars. That could be from a a couple of weeks to several months depending on the kid.

Depends on the gym and the gymnast. My DD went from baby giants on the regular uneven bars to regular giants. Now she is perfecting form. This is all within 3 months. She is also working dismounts on both pit bar and regular bar.

But she is not necessarily the norm in her gym. Bars are definitely her strongest event.

Totally depends on the kid and the gym! My DD had consistent giants on pit bar with great form but moving them to the real set can be a major adjustment! Having to spot the low bar and avoid hitting toes on it were among the things that kept my DD at the time from doing them consistently on the real set! She has overcome this but it did take a few months to achieve

DD went straight from straps to the uneven bars, first doing them on a raised lower bar (she was small enough) then going to the high bar.

At my dd gym you have to have them pretty consistantly on pit bar plus be able to connect kip/cast/giant before you get to really try it on the full bars. That could be from a a couple of weeks to several months depending on the kid.

I really enjoyed reading all of the responses, but yours fit the best with our gym's philosophy. From what I gather, she will need to get her free hip handstand giant on the pit bar more consistently then she will be able to try it on the real bars. Thank you!!!

I really enjoyed reading all of the responses, but yours fit the best with our gym's philosophy. From what I gather, she will need to get her free hip handstand giant on the pit bar more consistently then she will be able to try it on the real bars. Thank you!!!
Glad I could help. DD is a LONG way from free hip handstand :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back