Parents Getting to know each other thread...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

6. Tell us about YOU!
I am 39 years old..oh my!!! I enjoy shopping (which I can't do too much of since everything and everybody in Tokyo is so tiny). I am originally from Texas (Gig 'em Aggies) but moved here from Virginia. I love traveling and adventure but I can't wait to spend a few weeks this summer back in my own house in Virginia!

where in Va did you live. We moved to NC from Nova 2yrs ago. Lived in Dumfries. It is just north of Quantico.

We lived in Blacksburg, Virginia. I am familiar with Quantico because my husband was in the Marine Corps right out of college. How do you like NC? It is a great state.

We lived in Blacksburg, Virginia. I am familiar with Quantico because my husband was in the Marine Corps right out of college. How do you like NC? It is a great state.

we LOVE NC. Could not have made a better decision. HUGE change from No. VA. only traffic is if we get stuck behind a tractor or school bus. much more friendly, less congested and much more laid back.

O.K... I'll bite!

. How many kids do you have? How old? What grade?
3 kids -
21 year old son at Virginia Tech
19 year old son at Longwood University (Farmville, VA)
13 year old daughter - 7th grade

How many years has your child(ren) been in gymnastics?
DD started gymnastics in kindergarte, was moved to a developmental team, then quit to do ice skating for 2 years, then dance for another 2. Went back to rec classes in gymnastics when she was in 5th grade, then went to Level 4 in 6th grade.

3. What level is your gymnast(s)?
Competing Level 5 this year. Will be moving to Level 6 and she is HOPING to skip L6 and go to L7. (We don't even know if the gym will do this! HA!)

4. Do you work? How do you juggle your job/gymnastics if so?
I quit my "real" job 13 years ago to stay home w/my kids. I now work in Special Ed. at my neighborhood elementary school. (Gotta figure out a way to pay for the gymnastics, right?!) I think I have it easier than many in the respect that my two older ones are away, so DD is basically an "only" child here at home. I don't know how parents with more than one child in sports is able to juggle all that gymnastics requires.

5. What do you love about gymnastics/dislike about gymnastics?
I LOVE the fact that it's great exercise, the discipline it develops and DD loves the girls there. Most of all, it keeps DD BUSY! I figure the busier she is, the less likely she is to get in trouble... esp. now that the "teen" years are upon us!

I DO NOT LIKE the fact that some of the parents get SO wrapped up in who's moving up, who isn't, who's better than who, etc.

6. Tell us about YOU!
Not much to tell. I work at the neighborhood elementary school with learning disabled students. The schedule is great since I get the summers off to be w/DD and run her around!! I enjoy going to the gym (in my spare time) and reading. I have 3, yes THREE, dogs... a greyhound, lab and my favorite little chihuahua.

Hi everyone,

We're new to this board. Here are my answers...

1. I have 1 DD, age 6 (and a half - you know how important the half is :), she is just finishing up 1st grade. She's all the good Lord saw fit to give us. Of course she's a handful.

2. She has been doing gymnastics for 1.5 years.

3. She is pre-team. We will find out in May or June whether she'll stay in pre-team or move to level 4.

4. I work 12 hour night shifts. This way I'm home for after school and can get her to the gym. I work 3-4 12's per week. And occasional extra shifts for extra $$.

5. What I love about gymnastics is the smile it puts on my daughter's face. I also love to watch gymnastics. What I dislike about gymnastics is that I think it becomes competitive too early, but I think that goes with all organized sports these days.

6. About ME! Glad someone finally asked! My name is Sue, I'm happily married to John. I am a trauma nurse. I LOVE what I do. However, I would LOVE to be a princess, but it seems there are no openings for that position right now! LOL! As a result of my occupation, I think my kid is the most safety conscious around. She's a helmet girl and is appalled when she sees someone on a bike/motorcycle without one. I also like to mountain bike, but have a hard time finding the time... Hmmmmm... I wonder why.

Thanks for starting this great thread!

Sue Z

Last edited:
About ME (it's all about me!)

1. I have one daughter, 13 yrs old and in the 7th grade.
2. DD has been in gymnastics for 5 years.
3. DD just moved up to level 6.
4. I work full time as an ER nurse. I work nights (3 12 hr shifts) and have an awesome manager who never denies requests for time off for meets. DD practices 4-5 days/week (4hrs). I'm usually sleep deprived and just propped up in the chair at meets and practices.
5. I love to watch all the girls suceed, whether it's getting a new skill or placing at meets. I also love that they all cheer for one another and really come together as a team. It's a beautiful sport to watch, but the amount of strength gymnasts have is amazing! I dislike the heartbreak when the girls have a bad event/meet or have a great meet, but just not quite enough for an award. The cost and politics aren't that great either.
6. Not that we have much of a life outside the gym:eek:, but I love to write poetry and dance. DH is in the military. We have 3 spoiled rotten cats.

4. I work full time as an ER nurse. I work nights (3 12 hr shifts) and have an awesome manager who never denies requests for time off for meets. DD practices 4-5 days/week (4hrs). I'm usually sleep deprived and just propped up in the chair at meets and practices.

WOW!!! There are a LOT of nurses on this board!

Anyone interested in a get to you each other thread?

1. How many kids do you have? How old? What grade?
2. How many years has your child(ren) been in gymnastics?
6. Tell us about YOU!

Feel free to add any info that I didn't include. I am not good at making up quizzes. :D

Hello, fellow gymnastics parents-

I have two daughters in gymnastics, ages 10 and 13. They have both been in gymnastics since parent/tot classes. They are levels 6 and 8. I am a coach, so it's easy to juggle my job and their gymnastics ;). I love pretty much everything about gymnastics!

I am a former gymnast also- gymnastics has been my life since I was 10 yrs old.

I have 4 kids. DS 9, DD 7, DD 4, DS 2. And we are expecting our 5th child this year.

Officially my 7-year-old has been in gymnastics for 1 class. She has been in competitive dance for 2 years though so she knows and has mastered most basic tumblings skills - back walkover, front walkover, backhandspring. She is working on her back tuck now. But she is brand new to bars, the vault and the beam. She was on them for the first time yesterday.

After trying her out of the few things, they put her in level 3. I'm not that sure what that means! lol

I don't work other than at home with my four kids. We really have to juggle schedules and sometimes get grandparents involved to fit in the kids' activities.

So far I love it all. It's so exciting and my dd couldn't stop smiling the entire time she was there yesterday!

6. Tell us about YOU!
My name is Dagny. I'm currently pregnant with my 5th (and I sure home final) child. I was never a gymnast. I was a cheerleader in highschool and the most gymnastics I ever achieved was a beautiful front walkover and a very sloppy back handspring! LOL.

It was great reading about everyone! We are going to have a difficult choice ahead of us when dance starts back up in the fall. Dance or gymnastics? At least we have time to think about it!

6. Tell us about YOU!

Feel free to add any info that I didn't include. I am not good at making up quizzes. :D

1. I have 3 1/2 kids:D
DSD ~ 17 y/o Sr.
DD ~ just turned 8y/o going into 3rd
DD ~ almost 6y/o going into 1st
DS~ 4 1/2 pre-k

2. 8 y/o has been in gym since K
6 y/o tried it for 6 months and decided she wanted to be a ballerina instead
DS to start in August

3. 8 y/o is level 5 team

4. I don't work, except as a mom at home;)

5. There isn't one thing I don't like about gymnastics. I love how much my DD loves it and how strong and fit it has made her.

6. I'm just a proud stay at home mom of 3 1/2 great kids and one great husband.

1. How many kids do you have? 5 (4 boys and 1 girl) How old? 10, 8, 6, 3, 1
What grade? 5, 3, 1
2. How many years has your child(ren) been in gymnastics? Just my one daughter and it has been about a year and a half. (she was 4 when we started and is now 6)
3. What level is your gymnast(s)? USAG 4-5 but not competing. (pre-team)
4. Do you work? I help my DH at times, we own a construction company.
How do you juggle your job/gymnastics if so? The work for myself isn't an issue but many times my DH is away on business and it gets hard getting all five kids to the different gym and all the other activities on my own.
5. What do you love about gymnastics/dislike about gymnastics? I love watching DD get really focused. She sticks her tongue out while she concentrates and perfects every little detail (Just like her dad!). Sometimes I dislike the other moms. My boys are involved in sports but they are just "average." My DD is gifted in the gym and was bumped up very early and continues to pass other girls with her skills. Most of the moms are supportive but a few have been pretty mean saying that it isn't fair to their DDs. I have never had to go through that with the boys so this is new and I wish I was better prepared for how to deal with that side of gym moms.
6. Tell us about YOU! Oh geez, I need to squeeze more time in my day just for "me." When I can get a few minutes, I like to swim, dance, read, write, I use to have horses but don't right now - I miss that, garden, have coffee with friends. I'm sure there is more but that's all I can think of off hand.

~Kara

I have 3 kids
DS6 DD4 DS2
DS6 Does Karate going for Green w/blue stripe this saturday
DD4 Does Gymnastics I am not sure what level she is, right now she goes once a week for 2 hours and in the fall it will be 2 days a week for 1.5 hours, she loves gymnastics and also takes dance. I think the 2 hour class right now is good but she does get a little restless towards the end.
DS2 Will start preshool in the fall for only 2 half days he will be 3 in December.

I am a SAHM that wishes she had a part time job so I could have some extra spending money. This Activities are very expensive. LOL

I also love going to Disney like I have read many of you also like going also.

Do Any of you DISNEY LOVERS go on the DISBOARDS let me know if you are fellow DISERS.

I Love the sport of Gymnastics all of my skills were self taught as a child but I was a dancer 16 years. I am a big Gymnastics fan and I hope my daughter grows to love the sport as much as I have.

I'll jump in too...:p

2 kids.
DD1 is 15, going to be a Sophomore this Fall.
DD2 is 12, going to be in 7th Grade this Fall.

DD1 does not do gym. She is into art, music, video games & skateboarding.
DD2 has been in gym about 3.5 years.

DD2 is Level 6.

I don't work currently. Have an RN license, wouldn't mind finding part-time, flexible work (outside the hospital). Helped on a research project for a Public Health agency a couple of yrs ago & loved it, wish I could do more of that.

Love watching the sport of gymnastics. Love how it teaches DD goal-setting, time management, listening & following directions. Love the nice friends she always makes @ gym. Love going to meets & watching all the girls compete & having a chance to chat w/ the other gym parents.

Hate all the politics that go w/ the sport.

I love to do crossword puzzles (easy ones), read, go out to eat, BBQ at home w/ friends, surf the 'net.

That's about it! :rolleyes:

Three, ages 7, 5, 2. Grade 2, kindy, & nothing!

My 5yo started not quite a year ago, the 7yo started in Dec '07, and my 2yo started Jun 08.

7yo - L3
5yo - rec, but asked to join the L2 (she chose to stay rec for this year)
2yo - preschool

I do home daycare. My dh has a flexible job and a wonderful boss, so he goes in early on gym days and comes home early to stay with the daycare kids while I take our kids to gymnastics. I would just take the dckids with me, but our gym is 30 minutes away and I don't think my dcparents would appreciate the extra drive!

I love watching!! ALL of them! And I really like how it is building confidence and instilling healthy habits in my children.

6. Tell us about YOU!
I was a competitive swimmer growing up. When I stopped having fun, I took up horses and showed jumpers. Still love my animals, although the horses are long gone in favor of kids! We have two Labs, four cats, and three guinea pigs.
I like to knit, crochet, run, read, swim, and sew. I'm in the process of getting a website up & running to sell one of the things I sew and I'm hoping it can be as successful as I think it will be.
I also used to live on the West Coast of Canada, but relocated to the middle of the USA nine years ago. I am a PADI scuba instructor, although the children don't allow much time to dive... not that I find lake diving too exciting after having the cold, clear waters of the Pacific in my back yard!!

We are raising and in the process of adopting my younger sister who just turned 14 she will be a freshman in the fall. I also just had a baby (our first child) so very fun but hectic times around our house.
My sister I guess has done gymnastics for 10+ years now--wow!
She's working on getting back into competing elite which didn't go very well a year ago for various reasons more related to life than gymnastics--we'll see how things go.
Right now I am taking at least 6 months of maternity leave--our daughter is not a month old yet. The final decision to return to work at all actually hasn't been completely decided. My husband is trying to be super supportive by letting it be completely my choice but I'm sort of almost wishing he would just be well....
As for juggling this will be the first fall that we've had to do the school/gymnastics thing so I guess we'll see how that goes...me not working will definitely make the transition smoother so I think it's convenient how the timing worked
Before my sister started competing (when I became obsessed with the dangers of the sport) I loved the artistry. I think there is potential for some dangerous messages from the sport and that is a concern especially with a young sister. Unfortunately I think those messages are out there in other places too so I realize that pulling her from gymnastics is not completely the path to salvation.
6. Tell us about YOU!
I'm married to a really wonderful man who completes me (yes lame cliche but it was a cute movie if anyone remembers it). I'm a new mom so I'm up at weird hours--but she's cute;)

I have 4 kids:
Leah and Alexis\7 years old\ going into 3rd
Dylan\5 years old\ going into kindergarten
Hannah\3 years old\ pre-school:p
Leah and Lexi have been in gymnastics since they were...3, so 5 years(they are turning 8 on the 19th!)
We are trying to get Hannah into a pre school program.
The twins are (now offically new...) level 6s!
I don't work, gym starts a half hour after the girls get home from school, so it's pretty hectic on gym days.
I love that it's such a well rounded sport, you make friends forever, a great family sport, and it teaches you things you will need for the future. And, by that I mean it teaches you not just flips and twists, but time, commitment, and effort. I dislike gymnastics when I see girls who do not enjoy the sport anymore but the parents keep pushing them. I think thats unfair.
6. Tell us about YOU!
I am married to a wonderful DH, he is a doctor. I enjoy watching my kids be happy at the gym, and talking to the other moms:)

I have a daughter, Abigail who just turned 6. She is in developmental program at the local gym, has been in gymnastics since she was 2. She will be starting first grade next week! I also have twins Madelynn and Gavin who are 8 months old

I started Abbey in a recreational program when she was not yet 3. After a few years of that we switched to a more traditional program the summer she turned 5. At the end of that summer her coach approached em and moved her up into the developmental program, which is their pre-team group.

They just call her "developmental" at our gym...the next level is 4, and he coach said she is 'almost' there..so I guess shes a 3? The levels confuse me right now...

I am a SAHM..before that I was a teacher, I taught special ed, then 2nd grade then preschool before having the chance to stay home with my kids. Since she IS my job there is not much juggling :)

I have loved the sport as a spectator since i was a little girl in the 70s, but I was not encouraged or allowed ot participate in sports...the one time I was in a short summer rec program for gymnastics I broke my leg...the fear of injury prevented my mother form letting us participate in much.
When I had a daughter of my own I started her in gymnastics as a way to burn off some toddler energy. She seemed to have a knack for it, so we have continued. I love that it will make her strong both physically and mentally, boost her self esteem and confidence and hopefully set her up for a lifetime of physical activity. The only thing I dont like is I know it is going to get expensive as we continue....and I hope that never makes it impossible for us to keep her in the gym

6. Tell us about YOU!
hee I kinda just did....lets see...I am also a polymer clay artist, I make beads and jewelry, I am a bit of a shutterbug, very chatty on and offline. I am pretty down to earth type of person...and what you see is what you get with me:)

happy to meet other gym parents!

2 kids, Ashley (5 and a half, Kindergarten) and Richard (3 months)

Ashley has been in on and off since 18 months. She's in a lot of things for exposure right now. I figure at 6 or 7 she'll understand commitment as a concept enough to pick one and focus. I'm really pulling for gymnastics or ballet, my husband wants gymnastics or tae kwon do (hope I spelled that right)

Oh man, Ashley is at 'I can finally focus on one thing rather than play on everything!' level. Thats not a level? Daaang...

My husband and I both work, we just work around each other so that the kids are always with one of us. Not so much juggling as being in a hurry a lot of the time!

Honestly, at Ashley's level I like that she's having fun, learning the vocabulary (tuck, straddle, pike, etc) and basically getting an education through play. The only thing I dislike is when a kid who doesn't want to be there is forced. I don't mean to sound insensitive, but when my kid is hanging upside down by one hand and swinging from the bar, I'd like the coach to be there rather than on minute 30 of a pep talk for a kid who's in tears 10 feet away.

6. Tell us about YOU!

I love coffee, sleeping in (what I remember of it anyway!), reading, ballet, my '3rd kid' a black lab named Annakin, cooking, pedicures (I feel bad for the pedicurist, dance and gymnastics has made my feet awesomely ugly!), expensive jeans (my financial weakness!), reading to my kids, pilates, video games, and visiting the lake thats nearby. That's the short list, and I'll spare the world my dislikes lol!

1. How many kids do you have? 2 How old? Zoe is 3 1/2 and Christian is almost 6. What grade? Christian just started K-5
2. How many years has your child(ren) been in gymnastics? Zoe just started this season so just over a month.
3. What level is your gymnast(s)? I guess preschool is 1/2 level :)
4. Do you work? I work at home(WAHM) How do you juggle your job/gymnastics if so? Since I own my own biz, I can move things around and work when I want to ;)
5. What do you love about gymnastics/dislike about gymnastics? I love that she loves it! I want her to beable to compete in something that she can be proud of. I hate that I have to drive over an hour away to find a good gym :(
6. Tell us about YOU! My name is Deana(Dena). I've been married for 8 1/2 yrs. I just turned 30! Yuck! My hubby is 10 yrs older then me, but acts like hes 12.

I love to sew. It's my stress reliever and my job! LOL I have a degree in fashion merchandising and worked retail for a while, but it just wasn't worth it living where I live. I had planned to move to chicago when I graduated from college, but met my hubby in my last yr of college. The rest is history :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back