Giant / Flyaway Fear

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi everyone, my name is Leia and I am 14 years old and I am training for level 9. My problem is that I will do my giants but no flyaway on the pitbar and then when I get to the high bar I won't do either my giants or my flyaway without someone standing there or spotting me. I have had my giants for years but now I cannot seem to do them almost like I forgot the correct feeling of how to do them. But whenever I need help (for a coach to spot) they get frustrated with me and then it makes me frustrated. Also I need to be training double backs and I can't until i get my regular giants to a flyaway. And also my coaches won't let me do skills until I get my giants and flyaway by myself again. I need help to get over this fear it's been going on for months now and I still can't get over it!:( What do I do?:oops:

Also I have been a level 8 for 2 years and I'm nervous that if I don't make level 9 that my parents will be disappointed in me and that I will just never get this skill:( I really need help:oops:

Hi everyone, my name is Leia and I am 14 years old and I am training for level 9. My problem is that I will do my giants but no flyaway on the pitbar and then when I get to the high bar I won't do either my giants or my flyaway without someone standing there or spotting me. I have had my giants for years but now I cannot seem to do them almost like I forgot the correct feeling of how to do them. But whenever I need help (for a coach to spot) they get frustrated with me and then it makes me frustrated. Also I need to be training double backs and I can't until i get my regular giants to a flyaway. And also my coaches won't let me do skills until I get my giants and flyaway by myself again. I need help to get over this fear it's been going on for months now and I still can't get over it!:( What do I do?:oops:

It's really good to imaging yourself doing the skill. This might sound dumb but every night before you go to sleep, close your eyes and imaging yourself doing it perfectly. Also remember if you try your ultimate best, there's no way you can't do it! Hope this helps!

Have you tried going back to the basics by doing drills for both skills? I had such a horrible fear of BHS after a bad fall doing a ROBHS that I couldn't even be spotted on one without freaking out, so my coach had me go back to doing drills for BHS and it's made a world of difference. I'm now way less afraid of them! Hope this helps!

1. Tell your coach. They might not do anything or care (if they don't care this is a red flag). Hopefully they'll be understanding and let you work on flyaway drills.
2. Tap swing to "dead-cow" position (meaning laying flat on your back).
3. Tap swing to tuck flyaway. Focus on no-shoulder angle and tapping on the swing into the flyaway. (Focus on this on "dead-cows" too).
4. Tap swing to layout flyaway.
5. Kip, cast horizontal to flyaway.
6. Kip, higher cast to flyaway.
7. Kip, cast handstand to flyaway.
8. 1 giant to flyaway.
9. 2 giants to flyaway.
10. 2 giants to double back.
11. Whatever you're going to be competing.

Do lots of numbers of everything and don't be nervous to take a step back.

I have experience with this fear and this is what I've been working on. Substitute in working over a pit where-ever you want.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back