Giant Flyaway

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymfan4ever95

Coach
Gymnast
On bars, i am having fear issues on connecting my giants to a flyaway. I will do a good flyaway timer, but when my coach tells me to flip, I just won't let go! It is really frustrating because I know I can do it, it just seems as if my body won't cooperate. Another girl on my team who started learning the same time as me (which is last week) is already doing giants into a layout flyaway! Then again, she is 10, so she doesn't have as much fear as I do. She is always bragging about how she is ready to compete on bars now and how she is doing it by herself...which she isn't. I am tired of her gloating and really want to make my coach really proud of me and just do it in practice today! Does anyone have any tips that might help me let go and go for it? Thanks!

It's hard to connect. I'm sure you'll get it with time. I don't know if you coach will allow it, but all the level 7s in our gym do giant, clear hip, flyaway.

Instead of a timer, just tap and let go then trust your coach. Don't even think about the flip. If your timing is correct, you'll flip whether you want to or not.
If you happen to let go at the right time and start to flip, DON'T TRY TO STOP FLIPPING especially if you are being spotted. This is one of those skills that just works when everything leading up to it is done correctly so let it happen :)

But what if I hold on too long? I would hit my feet on the bar, right? Do you think i would make the flyaway if i let go for a timer, and then just tucked my knees and start to flip after i have let go, as i am falling? Well, I am going into the pit so I guess it wouldn't matter.

But what if I hold on too long? I would hit my feet on the bar, right? Do you think i would make the flyaway if i let go for a timer, and then just tucked my knees and start to flip after i have let go, as i am falling? Well, I am going into the pit so I guess it wouldn't matter.

You would actually have to hold on way too long to come back to the bar, especially if you are in a tuck. Most people revisit the bar if the pull in or close the shoulder angle as they release. You should tap then throw the bar away behind you and not down toward your stomach.

One other way to get the timing is let go when you feel the weight come off of your hands. There is a point in the swing after you have bent the bar down in your tap where you feel a release in pressure , weight , what ever you want to call it. That is the perfect time to let go.

have someone stand on a deck of mats, or maybe they have a bar spotting platform, and slide a bar pad where your feet would hit when you let go.

there are just some things you gotta learn how to do. learn how to hit the bar and recover and peeling off. there are safe ways to practice both without being hurt.

Have you ever done cast flyaways? Maybe you could revisit that before trying it from the giant, if you're not already doing it as a warm up.

When I was a L7 our warm up was tap swings, then cast handstand layout, then giants to flyaway (or in my case free hip handstand...I had some giant issues for awhile in L7).

Seriously, it's a big step just to have giants. Don't let anyone else get you down. But you can do this...the layout is the easier part really, once you get in the hang of things. You're probably working it up to be worse than it is, which is why I would suggest if possible to go back to cast flyaway, work that cast up as high as possible, then do it from the giant.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back