WAG GK Competiton leo sizing

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Carly

Proud Parent
DD didn't have a gk leo last season so it's been 2 years since she's been measured for a gk comp leo. I measured her as an AXS leo and she was at the bottom of the torso range.

She tried on the sizing stuff that gk sent and the AXS leo was extremely tight. So she tried on the AS which was a good fit. It wasn't too tight but definitely not loose at all. We're planning to order her an AS but I'm worried that it might end up too big. She's been wearing CL and AXS gk leos to practice. Her coaches can really only go by the sizing stuff that they got because the gym hasn't had gk leos in many years.

I would appreciate any feedback on the sizing of recent gk comp leos. Thanks!

My daughter wears AXS in regular GK leotards now. When she ordered her competition leo last year she was just transitioning from CL to AXS in GK. She got a CL in her competition leotard. It fit during the season and I am sure she could still squeeze into, but it's probably a little tight. We've been told that the competition leotard usually is one size smaller than the regular size for GK (to allow for a tighter fit). If we were ordering right now, I think she would get an AXS though. Do you know how well used/stretched the sizing leos were? I think I would be worried like you are that an AS might be too large.

GK runs small for comp leo in my opinion. Get the AS.

I have really limited experience - 2 years of GK leos and reading things on the internet, but it is not uncommon for parents to order from the sizer and then the comp leo is too small. The sizers sometimes are stretched out from being tried on a zillion times, and kids grow. I would do the AS based on the sizers probably. I would definitely ask the coaches what they thought of the AS though, as a second opinion.

Some of the GK practice leos, mainly the sublimated ones, are stretchier than the comp leos, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if she could still fit into a practice leo a size or two smaller than the proper comp leo size.

I have really limited experience - 2 years of GK leos and reading things on the internet, but it is not uncommon for parents to order from the sizer and then the comp leo is too small. The sizers sometimes are stretched out from being tried on a zillion times, and kids grow. I would do the AS based on the sizers probably. I would definitely ask the coaches what they thought of the AS though, as a second opinion.
The sizers looked new but I can't be sure. They had the tags and scrunchies still attached. DD was one of the first at the gym to try them on. One of the coaches did look and said the AS looked good. At our old gym, it was all handled by the coaches and they were fitted like a second skin.

Our GK sizers were a MESS over half our team ended up in the wrong size it was downright awful. Throw on top of that that half the leos had other errors (off center designs missing crystals sleeves different lengths on the same leo and almost see through even though they are black?) we had to reorder a ton of leos they werent here in time for the first meet and all sorts of other issues--they had to give girls in the first meet a free practice leo and the whole team a free . I hate GK. Also ours are all pilling and generally look crummy after one year--they tried to blame it on the velcro on thier grips that's what they told every parent that complained until we said umm we have buckle grips---then they said she must have rubbed against some vecro on a mat (really on the inside of her upper arm/armpit area I doubt it). I have nothing good to say about GK :mad:

All that being said go off the size measurements more than the sizers they send the gym. Our leos fit pretty similar to their practice leos

We've had the same GK competition leos for the last 3 seasons (just about ready for our 4th and final season with them). In GK practice leos, mine wears a CL (and can even fit some CM still), but will move up to an AXS in her competition leo this season. She is 11 years old, just under 4'8" and weighs 68 lbs, with a slightly long torso.

The sizers originally sent to our gym from GK several years ago were made of lycra, which is stretchier then both mystique and mesh. At the time my DD fit into both the CM and CL sizers. I am SO glad that I opted to size up to a CL because I was able to get 3 seasons out of that leo (and almost a 4th, but torso length is becoming an issue). Definitely keep fabric type in mind. For what it's worth, a lot of girls at our gym have found the lined mesh sleeves to be problematically tight.

I would opt for AS if you are hoping to get more than one season out of it, especially since the AS sizer seemed OK to your coaches. If your coaches aren't demanding skin tight, then I'd opt for comfort and longevity!

Our GK sizers were a MESS over half our team ended up in the wrong size it was downright awful. Throw on top of that that half the leos had other errors (off center designs missing crystals sleeves different lengths on the same leo and almost see through even though they are black?) we had to reorder a ton of leos they werent here in time for the first meet and all sorts of other issues--they had to give girls in the first meet a free practice leo and the whole team a free . I hate GK. Also ours are all pilling and generally look crummy after one year--they tried to blame it on the velcro on thier grips that's what they told every parent that complained until we said umm we have buckle grips---then they said she must have rubbed against some vecro on a mat (really on the inside of her upper arm/armpit area I doubt it). I have nothing good to say about GK :mad:

All that being said go off the size measurements more than the sizers they send the gym. Our leos fit pretty similar to their practice leos
Sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience with GK. Hope that we don't have any trouble because we have no say in the company that the gym chooses to use. I wonder if everyone's leo ends up being too big because the sizers were off, if GK would do something to fix it.

If your coaches are okay with the AS, I agree you should go with that. I did want to say that we didn't have any of the issues with GK that others had last year. We ordered (imo) pretty late, but we got them in time and they all looked and fit like they were supposed to. The only issue we had is the dye bleeding under the arm which is annoying, but I feel like it's almost our gyms fault for choosing navy body and white sleeves!

I wonder if everyone's leo ends up being too big because the sizers were off, if GK would do something to fix it.

They did make our situation right but from what I heard it was a big hassle for the gym and I am not 100% sure they would have if there had not been other more serious issues (like off center, arms different lengths, missing gems etc) because intially they said well sizers can be off you should look at the measurements

they said well sizers can be off you should look at the measurements

That is crazy. The whole purpose of providing sizers is to ensure that people order the correct size. GK is admitting that its sizers are faulty and then blaming the customer for relying on the sizers? And the size charts are not really accurate either. We once ordered according to the size chart and the leo was so small she couldn’t even get it on.

The other thing we’ve found with GK leos is that when you size smaller for the sleek fit, occasionally the coverage of the private areas is less than desirable when they split or straddle. I would also, say that since GK purchased Dreamlight, you also should check if the style is truly GK or a dreamlight style because we’ve found that the dream lights run slightly longer.

I find that GK tends to fit like GK training leos. DD wears a child large in training leos and I got her a child large comp leo. Fits perfectly. I hemmed and hawed about going up to a AXS as she will have it two years but in the end stuck with her CL. I will say though that depending on the fabric choice they can fit a little smaller- her leo at JO Nationals was a little smaller fitting than her regular team comp leo, but the fabric was thicker and a little different.

The other thing we’ve found with GK leos is that when you size smaller for the sleek fit, occasionally the coverage of the private areas is less than desirable when they split or straddle. I would also, say that since GK purchased Dreamlight, you also should check if the style is truly GK or a dreamlight style because we’ve found that the dream lights run slightly longer.
I found the leo that they customized on the gk site and it is not a Dreamlight one.

It's just so tough because she has many gk leos of the same size and they are all actually different sizes. The AXS one she has is the same size as the CL one she has in the same fabric and cut.

Thanks for all of your replies!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back