Gloves on Strap

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

S

slkbeambabe07

Hi all. We are in the transition of switching from using PVC pipe on strap all the time to possibly using gloves. Do you only use little hand gloves and then with wrist guards and straps around the bar? Is anyone afraid of the straps maybe catching something on the bar (say the seam gets caught) or something along the lines of that? Our head coach is just a bit sketchy on switching to gloves, as it could be a safety issue. Just wondering everyone's opinions on both ways and any safety tips or such that can be used. :)

First I think both should be used. Start on PVC then move to gloves. There's no reason why you can't use both systems.

Second the strap wraps around the wrist...nothing gets caught. Maybe you could have a problem if the gloves were excessively big but since there's nothing like a dowel involved I'm having a hard time imagining anyway you could lock up using gloves. I've never had a problem.

Thank you! I meant to say we ARE using both, but for the ones that have great skills on PVC, we want them to transition to gloves instead of only using PVC. Thanks again!

using gloves, oven mitts, socks, and all the other things i've heard over the years are unsafe.

this opinion is coming from a place i don't want to talk about. suffice, maybe bogs will back me and tell you that i might know what i speak of on this one.

Dunno, can you say "why" you consider it or have heard it to be unsafe? Would love to hear your opinion on this.

I would be interested to know the safety concerns as well. As a young coach I have never thought to question the use or safety of these. It certainly seems to be a standard practice in Australia. Gloves and straps have been used in the 'elite' stream for competitive routines in the past.

Using oven mitts sounds unsafe but I've never experienced anything even vaguely like locking up (if that's the problem) using thin gardening gloves (that fit appropriately).

locking up is the mechanism of injury when using anything other than just the hands, wrist bands, and pvc. although there have been a handful of reports when not using anything at all but the injuries are not as severe.

the injuries are catastrophic and almost always require surgical repair. some of the injuries end their careers. and i'm aware that these devices are in use all over the world and several have never had an incident.

pvc is the accepted practice, so proceed with caution when using anything else.

the injuries are catastrophic and almost always require surgical repair. some of the injuries end their careers. and i'm aware that these devices are in use all over the world and several have never had an incident.

Fair warning. I wouldn't say "several" have never had an incident. I would imagine it's a pretty fair majority. And again I think if we're talking about things like oven mitts, that's pretty complicated. To me that would be very silly. Excess material. I would even be concerned the hands could slip out in that case. You can lock up wearing grips that improperly sized but are grips "unsafe"? I don't know if I'd go that far.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back