WAG Glucosamine for Severs

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

curlymomof3

Proud Parent
I'm taking Dd to the Dr tomorrow for some stubborn heel pain. I'm pretty sure it's Severs as she is 9 and my Ds was diagnosed with the same thing at this age. Her coach recommended giving her glucosamine. Has anyone had success with this supplement for this particular ailment? We've been doing the usual icing, stretching and tulli's heel things but the pain is still there. Not looking for medical advice, just experiences. Hoping it clears up soon as her first meet is the end of September!!

My mom swears by glucosamine. Says she can totally tell when she doesn't take it. I've heard elsewhere that it is very very effective. If her dr. says it won't hurt her, I think I'd try it!!

Glucosamine is a supplement for joint health. It's essentially a precursor for cartilage and is utilized more for issues associated with osteoarthritis. I don't really see how it will help someone with Sever's disease. Sever's is simply an inflammation of the growth plate of the heel. The heel is not a joint; it's simply an attachment site for tendons/ligaments.

I have a few questions about her condition.

1) Is the pain worse in one heel versus the other? Left, possibly?

2) How much does she pronate? (Foot rolls in/flat foot during walking) More pronation on one side vs. other?

3) How much of an arch is in her back during standing/walking? Is she pretty excessively arched (lumbar lordosis) and do you notice a pretty prominent forward/downward tilting (anterior tilt) of her pelvis?

Good luck with this. I'm sure it's frustrating.

Glucosamine is a supplement for joint health. It's essentially a precursor for cartilage and is utilized more for issues associated with osteoarthritis. I don't really see how it will help someone with Sever's disease. Sever's is simply an inflammation of the growth plate of the heel. The heel is not a joint; it's simply an attachment site for tendons/ligaments.

I have a few questions about her condition.

1) Is the pain worse in one heel versus the other? Left, possibly?

2) How much does she pronate? (Foot rolls in/flat foot during walking) More pronation on one side vs. other?

3) How much of an arch is in her back during standing/walking? Is she pretty excessively arched (lumbar lordosis) and do you notice a pretty prominent forward/downward tilting (anterior tilt) of her pelvis?

Good luck with this. I'm sure it's frustrating.

1.The pain is worse in her right heel but affects both sides. She is a leftie in her routines; not sure if that is related

2. Not sure about pronation but she does have high arches

3. She does have a very arched back; so much that sometimes it looks like she's sticking her belly and booty out.

Thx for the info on the glucosamine!! Her coach recommended it only based on his own experience and how it helped his gymnastics aches and pains.

I am taking my 12 yo DS to the ortho/pt on Monday morning because he has Sever's. I will ask about the benefits of glucosamine!

1.The pain is worse in her right heel but affects both sides. She is a leftie in her routines; not sure if that is related

2. Not sure about pronation but she does have high arches

3. She does have a very arched back; so much that sometimes it looks like she's sticking her belly and booty out.

Thx for the info on the glucosamine!! Her coach recommended it only based on his own experience and how it helped his gymnastics aches and pains.

This sounds like my dd in a nutshell. She has reoccuring Severs, and the arched back. Recently had achilles tendinits and had to wear a boot. Her physical therapist said she was relying too much on one leg so gave her exercises to help pull her back mucsles more straight and help with the curve. It's been a neverending cycle with us. :rolleyes: Good luck to you!

Back from the Dr. Apparently ACoach78 knows what he's talking about :) He said the glucosamine won't help because it's not a joint issue and it's not arthritis. He did mention OsCon as an option but mostly just more icing, stretching and ibuprofen as well as some inserts for Dd's shoes. No flip-flops and no bare feet outside of gym. Pretty much everything I already knew :)

Thanks for the vote of confidence - ha ha. Besides being a coach, I'm pretty knowledgeable about human movement dysfunction and painful syndromes associated with such. I also work in the fitness industry and deal with people who come in with a laundry list of ailments that we have to find ways to train around. That being said, here are a couple of other things to consider based on the responses to your questions...

Since she's got the big arch in the back, that's going to make her very front-side (anterior) weight bearing in order to properly position her center-of-gravity during her upright stance and posture. That will cause the calf muscles (gastroc/soleus - plantarflexors) to be very active all of the time. The achilles tendon is an extension of the ankle plantarflexors and I could see how this would lead to constant pulling on the heel bone (calcaneus) and intensify the chronic inflammation.

I would really suggest seeking out a great physical therapist to evaluate her and to work towards improving her core and pelvic control. Secondly, I'd highly suggest possibly finding a good manual therapist (massage, etc.) to do some work on her lower extremity to loosen up the musculature down there. I'm sure that the gastroc/soleus muscles are very "tone" and probably have trigger points, etc. Plus, I imagine the fascia could use some re-working as well. Fascia is not something that can be stretched; it's very mechanical in nature much like muscle. It needs to be worked out manually.

I'd also have the PT look at her pelvic alignment and how that may be related to things down the chain. It seems odd to me that she's got high arches. Most people in an anterior pelvic tilt tend to pronate (roll inwards) or have flat feet because the anterior tilt causes inward (internal) rotation at the femur and the tibia. Her high arch might actually be a compensation for her pelvic alignment. That being said, her compensations at the feet may be contributing to this issue, too.

If you'd like, feel free to PM me and let me know where you live. I might even be able to recommend a physical therapist or otherwise in your area or may know someone who might know someone in that area of the country.

Good Luck. Take care.

Acoach78 do you know my daughter, haha!! You described her exactly. She has very strong calves; since she was 3 people have commented on how big they are. The dr also commented that her calves are more tight than they should be at her age and that was creating the pain. Interesting that you would also mention the leg bones turning in too. Her coach has mentioned her being somewhat pigeon-toed; I assume this is related.

I know of some good pt's in my area as I have been to them for my own issues. And the massage is a great idea! Is it better for her to be seen by a sports-med dr than a podiatrist for severs? I took it to the latter but maybe it's better to see a dr that deals with the whole body.

Thank you for the information! Hopefully this resolves quick!!

gluco will not work for severs, but it will produce expensive pee. drink milk!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back