Go to Prep Opt. or Level 5

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

D

drivingmom

My daughter is trying decide between prep opt. or level 5. It seems prep opt has been for girls who wanted to spend less time at the gym, or kind of stuck between levels (not having the skills to move up), or just not compulsory material. She does not fit in any of these groups. She is very strong, flexible and a good gymnast. All but one meet this year she finished 2nd AA. She has her 5 skills. Ok with all that said she sees that the prep opt girls get to add skills to the routine throughout the year as they get them, which means they are working on other skills than are what are in their routine. Compulsory not so much. She loves gymnastics and loves to learn new skills, not the same old same old all the time with a only some up training.

I see that it could be more interesting for her, but want to make the right move. I do plan on talking with her coaches.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
She is very young and so that would make the choice even harder for me. If she was 13 I would say go for the prep op, as having your own routine and using optional skills is so much fun.

At 9 she has so much time left in the sport, and based on her age she has the potential to make it to L9 or L10. Do you see you family being able to keep her in gym for the long term? Do you think she, or you, would be looking towrds a college scholarships?

UASG really is the path to the higher levels or a scholarship and I can't see closing the door whilst she is so young. Unless, she can compete prep op whilst still training the same hours as prep op, if she can score out of the USAG levels 5 & 6 as she gets to those skill levels (not rushing through them) and if she can return to USAG when she reaches L7, if she wishes.

THis is just an opinion. I just feel it is very young to close the door on USAG if there is no way of going back to it, or if the hours aren't enough for her to mantain her strong basics. Some parents say they see less polish in their kids in the prep op type programmes as the judging is less harsh etc.

A big choice for sure. But I totally hear where she is coming from, our optional system allows any kid to add to their routine, but there are still guidlines.

Go to level 5.

I would think the coaches would be very reluctant under the situation you describe, unless she is have trouble with hours or pressure or as a family you don't want to commit to the USAG program. I wouldn't do prep op because it sounds more "fun" unless she truly isn't having fun or loving the sport now. It sounds like she belongs in level 5.

At 9 years old, I would definitely have her do Level 5 USAG as you say she has her skills. The compulsory years do seem boring but they are a necessary foundation for her gymnastics. Getting her own routines in the optional levels will come in time. I would definitely not put her in a prep op program at 9.

We only do prep opt except for the USAG level 5 and 6 mobility meets. We decided that the girls enjoy having their own routines much more than doing the same old compulsory routines over and over again.
As far as them being "Necessary", this would only apply if the coaches aren't teaching the compulsory skills.
You would have to make sure the prep opt coaches still teach the same basics if you should decide to go that route.

Our gym also only does the prep op program and scores the girls out of 5 and 6. The girls practice the same amount of time that the compulsory girls did when they had 2 seperate teams. The girls love it, and it must be working for our gym, at the state meets our gym got 1st place team for all the levels, except the one we didn't have enough girls to qualify for a team.

I've seen gyms use it both ways, one for the girls who don't want to spend as much time in the gym doing USAG, usually these girls are older. And the way our gym uses the program as a way to get the young girls excited with their own routines and constant up training. It seems our girls compete against themselves alot as they are always the youngest age group.

My Daughter did it both ways, 2 yrs of Prep op and 2 yrs of compulsory, then on to Optionals. She did well at both programs, but I think she enjoyed the prep op program the best.

Here in region 8, they have a prep op regionals, where girls can qualify to state teams, and compete against the other states, just like Level 8 does. It really makes them excited when they make the regional team.

It also depends on a lot of factors, 2 of which I would consider are how your gym runs the prep opt program and how the area you are in runs the prep opt program. In some areas, prep opt has been around for a good number of years and has developed a good following. Lots of gyms are doing it and for a variety of reasons, including in place of or in addition to compulsory levels as mentioned by the previous 2 posters. I have noticed this seems to be most common in Region 8, but other posters might be able to tell you if it has picked up in a similar way in your area.
Other areas seem to use it for girls who don't want to spend as much time in the gym or are older than the average compulsory kid as others have mentioned. They have different standards and concentrate on different things. In these situations, it is more difficult to move back and forth between prep opt and more standard USAG levels as the coaches are looking for different things.
The optional routines are certainly fun for compulsory level girls, but you and your daughter also need to look at your gyms program and her long term goals. If she wants to reach the upper optional levels and your gym's prep opt program is less serious, it's probably not the best idea. But if the prep opt program provides the same solid foundation as the compulsory program and she could move back to the level system once she reaches level 7 (and scores out of levels 5 and 6), it could be an avenue to consider.

I thought you had to be at least 12 to do prep-op? Maybe that's a YMCA thing. Regardless, if she's placing 2nd AA and higher at meets, there is NO need for prep op. She can build upon her strength and is so young. She has the potential to become an optional gymnast.. yes compulsory can be boring, but in the end, it's the right way to build upon basics!

I thought you had to be at least 12 to do prep-op? Maybe that's a YMCA thing. Regardless, if she's placing 2nd AA and higher at meets, there is NO need for prep op. She can build upon her strength and is so young. She has the potential to become an optional gymnast.. yes compulsory can be boring, but in the end, it's the right way to build upon basics! Regardless, prep op is meant for gymnasts who are stuck, and to keep them in the sport they love instead of struggling where they are at, and it does not sound like your daughter is struggling at all!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back